• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intuition.. Give a Personal Example

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ do tell. I am intrigued by the prospect. (Plus I added some to my post above; enjoy!)

AND, there's no agreement I've seen on what really defines Ni and Ne so anyone who posts a concise yet salient definition to serve as a benchmark would no doubt be greatly lauded.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Similar to OP: When my ex and I were still together, and I lived in Las Vegas, I inexplicably sat up in bed one night, looked at our fan, and had this gripping feeling of being in West Virginia and feeling very very alone. I knew we wouldn't be together anymore, which seemed strange to me at the time because we were especially close at that point, I otherwise couldn't imagine being without him, assumed we were going to get married, and frankly the thought of this fucking terrified me and I chalked it up to a nightmare. I also didn't think at that point about moving back to WV.

Except that about two years later we broke up and I went to WV, so we weren't together anymore, and about a year after that I was in my apartment alone one night feeling VERY horribly depressed and lonely in my bedroom in the dark looking at my fan, and I remembered that night. It came true. Unbelievable.

But USUALLY the way common way I use my Ne is to make symbolic connections in literature between different ideas, or I suddenly come up with something either relevant or funny that seems categorically unrelated to what I'm writing or I'm discussing with someone, yet it somehow fits perfectly and ends up being extremely clever or at least funny. I also used to write major papers over the course of a semester, not by methodically working on them, but by collecting random stuff and not realizing I was doing it, until I actually sat down to write the paper at almost the last minute and was relieved to find that I had virtually everything I needed at my fingertips.

G

Ginkgo

^ do tell. I am intrigued by the prospect. (Plus I added some to my post above; enjoy!)

AND, there's no agreement I've seen on what really defines Ni and Ne so anyone who posts a concise yet salient definition to serve as a benchmark would no doubt be greatly lauded.

"Your vulva is a rounded crater, never lacking mixed wine". (Song of Songs 7:2 שררך אגן הסהר אל יחסר המזג)

Solomon obviously had some hardcore Ni.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Your vulva is a rounded crater, never lacking mixed wine". (Song of Songs 7:2 שררך אגן הסהר אל יחסר המזג)

Solomon obviously had some hardcore Ni.

Heh... we used to giggle at "breasts like twin gazelles," also from Song of Solomon. Makes me think of a humorous novel I read (I think it's from Blue Heaven) that described a woman's breasts, barely contained, as being like "two hounds straining at the leash."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hot damn - I have a more recent example. I "knew" there was something wrong with my heater and would have uneasy feelings at night about my apartment catching on fire. I bought a carbon monoxide detector, thinking that at least would make me feel a bit safer. I thought I was being paranoid.

Then one night, my heater just stopped working. The repairman looked aghast at the heater and said "there's no way I'm fixing this, it would be dangerous to even run it, you're lucky it just stopped working." I had to have a brand new heater installed.

I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge what-so-ever, so this had to be my intuition.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Hey some good thought to digest so far here in this thread..

What I experienced is precognitive emotion.. an actual vision of the future.. not an idea I plucked out of a random stream.. I know this. As someone mentioned it was "unusually intense"

I also understand that S and N come to the same place, just using different directions to get there.

This is why I am seeking actual examples.. I think a lot of people misunderstand what N and S are.. me included. I do not think we are there(understanding).. but the stories and ideas are thought provoking and interesting to read.. keep 'em coming :yes:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This reminds me of the time I was in Texas in a little cabin in East Texas, (imagine the setting of Deliverence and you're nearly there) and I was suckling my wee babe at the breast while my husband was employing manual labor so that we could buy some vittles for our supper; when all of a sudden I had the strangest feeling and I looked over and while I was staring at the gas hot water heater--as I was gazing at it--it suddenly leaped into flame from the spigot, not unlike the circumstances I intuit happened in the book Christine by Stephen King (although I never read it); but as I was staring at the blue-orange flame I was jolted back into reality and it was the year 1842 and I was an old lady. You see I had intuited the life of my granddaughter and her son in a super extrasensory perception of Ni that spanned generations, and when I looked over, I realized my time machine had actually caught on fire and scorched my entire left breast, including my nipple, and had fatally malfunctioned, sending me to the present time, to which here I am; I am an old woman, my grandaughter, me, my grandson, my future; all through Ni. :bye:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Well, then maybe it was some sort of Fi tied up with Si memory. N is about abstract thoughts and ideas, not feelings invoked by objects or settings. I'm really not trying to shat on your experience, :), but I am a bit of a cognitive function freak, and I like identifying functions and their characteristics.

As an infp, your dom function would be Fi, with tert Si. Which is exactly how your experience sounds to me.

Fi/Ne/Si

Maybe de ja vu is some sort of Fi/Si loop? Interesting..........

I test as an INFP.. but my Ni actually scores higher than my Ne by a few points

Fi> Ni> Ne>Te=Fe > Ti > Se >Si in that order with Te and Fe scoring the same.. Fucked if I know what it actually all means..
:blush:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I test as an INFP.. but my Ni actually scores higher than my Ne by a few points

Fi> Ni> Ne>Te=Fe > Ti > Se >Si in that order with Te and Fe scoring the same.. Fucked if I know what it actually all means..
:blush:

That's not a big deal, it happens all the time. Tests aren't the best, and you can have good use of both attitudes of a function. If you fit the infp archetype, you probably really do use Ne more than Ni, you just don't 'see' it.

Fi/Ne/Te
Fe/Ni/Ti
S

Do you sometimes feel like an xnfj? or some other type?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think you guys are making intuition sound too mystical.

I got this from another thread and this woman has intrigued me.

Brooksley Born. I think she was using intuition in a very real world practical way by connecting the dots. The Warning | FRONTLINE | PBS Video

For a fictional account of the same thing, Spike Lee's movie Inside Man is another example. Even though the characters may not be intuitive, it's about intuition and seeing patterns from disparate pieces of information.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
That's not a big deal, it happens all the time. Tests aren't the best, and you can have good use of both attitudes of a function. If you fit the infp archetype, you probably really do use Ne more than Ni, you just don't 'see' it.

Fi/Ne/Te
Fe/Ni/Ti
S

Do you sometimes feel like an xnfj? or some other type?

The people who know me best and also know MBTI believe me to be an INFJ..
I would say ENFJ is me if I am at very best or if I am at my ideal best..
The "Please Understand Me" test I scored XNFX .
INFP doesn't quite feel right all the time But INFPs that I know also seem to understand my kind of thoughts and feelings to a Tee..I also have a deep understanding and connection with ISFP's ..
My E and I and J and P are all very borderline, My N and F score about 60%
Fi is for sure my dom function.. it's the only consistency no matter what test I take.. Also I exhibit more E function .. except the biggie of being drained by people and needing time alone to recharge..
I would say I am a mess. :shock:

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
If you're talking Jungian type definitions of Ne and Ni, then they have nothing to do with the dictionary.

Both involve perceiving through hunches, analogies, and connections, which really isn't predicting the future. Examples of Ni:
  • I'm watching an 8th grade urban classroom, with 90 behavior interruptions in 80 minutes (which is why I've been called in to coach the teacher). I "know" the students need structure, but it has to be enjoyable. I suggest starting class with a read-aloud tied to the curriculum. the teacher says I'm nuts, but will try it if I'll join her to deal with the sure-to-ensue chaos. Even though I've never tried something like this I'm sure it's the solution. Sure enough, within 2 weeks the class is holding high-level debates. Behavior problem solved.
  • I mention to my S husband that I need a name for my business. Before he can finish suggesting we go through a thesaurus together (this was before MS Word) I "know" what the name should be, without conscious processing. I voice my suggestion and my husband says..."yeah...where'd that come from?"
  • We're running a teambuilding for a holding company...the presidents of the subsidiaries, all from small towns in a Western state, are given homework at dinnertime on the first night, but we learn that instead of digging in on it they headed to the bars for a bit of big city fun. Which means they won't be ready for the morning session. Which means we could look like idiots and I'd really like my paycheck. So when asked how to remedy this mess, I "know" what to do. "Let's give them a test in the morning--did they hear your vision? Naw...and you'll be able to nail them for not being serious and we'll have 250% of their attention for the rest of the day." That's exactly how it played out, in spite of the hangovers.

Most of my closest colleagues are Ne and the difference is...they get these same flashes while they're talking/moving/wandering at the Mall of America, not while they're pondering empty space.

Intuition doesn't really notice reality...the facts, past history, etc., gel unconsciously into an idea, a perception. To develop this function, one has to pay attention to the merit of one's ideas and develop a Judging function to determine whether the perception is worth acting on.

Not all of the theorists agree that the E and I forms of functions are all that different...it may be truly the attitude in which we use them...externally or internally...

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The people who know me best and also know MBTI believe me to be an INFJ..
I would say ENFJ is me if I am at very best or if I am at my ideal best..
The "Please Understand Me" test I scored XNFX .
INFP doesn't quite feel right all the time But INFPs that I know also seem to understand my kind of thoughts and feelings to a Tee..I also have a deep understanding and connection with ISFP's ..
My E and I and J and P are all very borderline, My N and F score about 60%
Fi is for sure my dom function.. it's the only consistency no matter what test I take.. Also I exhibit more E function .. except the biggie of being drained by people and needing time alone to recharge..
I would say I am a mess. :shock:
On the other hand, in my experience interpreting type indicator results for thousands of people, INFPs are least likely to think that just one type description fits them best, followed closely by INTPs. It's that "herding cats" phenomena...too much uniqueness to readily believe one is part of a pattern. But every INFP is like no other INFP is like all INFPs...it isn't a box but a starting place from which one learns to negotiate life.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
On the other hand, in my experience interpreting type indicator results for thousands of people, INFPs are least likely to think that just one type description fits them best, followed closely by INTPs. It's that "herding cats" phenomena...too much uniqueness to readily believe one is part of a pattern. But every INFP is like no other INFP is like all INFPs...it isn't a box but a starting place from which one learns to negotiate life.

Thanks.. I appreciate your input, you know what you are talking about and I like that..

Maybe you could explain Ne like you did Ni..
I would be most grateful.. :yes:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think you guys are making intuition sound too mystical.

I got this from another thread and this woman has intrigued me.

Brooksley Born. I think she was using intuition in a very real world practical way by connecting the dots. The Warning | FRONTLINE | PBS Video

For a fictional account of the same thing, Spike Lee's movie Inside Man is another example. Even though the characters may not be intuitive, it's about intuition and seeing patterns from disparate pieces of information.

We're not making it sound "too mystical" - we're describing our experiences.

Also, I noted that my more usual and common experience of Ne is connecting the dots and collecting random things that somehow end up working perfectly for me in the end.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Also, I noted that my more usual and common experience of Ne is connecting the dots and collecting random things that somehow end up working perfectly for me in the end.

That's a pretty accurate description of Ne. It's not about predicting the future but about "seeing" an idea without consciously processing where it came from.

Ne was once described to me as throwing a pot on a wheel. Ideas are flying thick and fast, or bits and pieces of the real world are flying thick and fast, and Ne tosses them onto the wheel, spinning until an idea forms. Ni stands, doing nothing, and then urps a fully formed pot.

So real world examples...If I have to I can join my colleagues in voicing pieces of my ideas as they come and work with them to mold them together. they just get more and more energized b the process while I get more and more tired. I do best, actually, if I start webbing the ideas on the whiteboard--that active involvement helps me stay extraverted in my processes.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
We're not making it sound "too mystical" - we're describing our experiences.

Well since you took a general statement I made and made it about you I'll direct what I'm saying specifically towards you.

You are describing a more "premonition" type of intuition, something that anyone can say they've experienced. You're not ferreting out anything specifically intuitive within the framework of MBTI. Yes, I read your post which is why I spoke generally but you like to create situations in which you have to defend yourself for whatever kicks it brings you. I suppose you couldn't pass this up.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well since you took a general statement I made and made it about you I'll direct what I'm saying specifically towards you.

You are describing a more "premonition" type of intuition, something that anyone can say they've experienced. You're not ferreting out anything specifically intuitive within the framework of MBTI. Yes, I read your post which is why I spoke generally but you like to create situations in which you have to defend yourself for whatever kicks it brings you. I suppose you couldn't pass this up.

I didn't create anything. To me, it looked like a couple of SJs (you and Saslou) wandered into a thread and snidely dismissed the self-report of Ns.

For the record, I never said there was anything "mystical" or spiritual or whatever about my experiences.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Slight aside :

Intuition seems to manifest quite often as randomly smiling at myself at something that has happened, or may happen, but has no particular relevance to the surroundings of the now.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Here's another Ni. I used to be a financial analyst at the Federal Reserve (talk about out of preference career!!!) The bank president wanted a financial model by 2 the next day to run some scenarios for possible financial conditions in our Reserve District. This is in the days when laptops weight 33 pounds...and Excel didn't exist, only something called Visicalc. Two of us were assigned to the project. I said, "okay, there's five elements of bank financial soundness, so let's take one financial measure for each one and run those for "average" banks in five size categories. Hmm...let's use these five rations," and I underlined 5 from the list I used to analyze banks. She said, "Why those 5?" I said, "I think it'll work." I didn't say, "Trust me," but that was my general justification. She said, "But we haven't tested it. What if other ratios would be better?" I said, "We have until 2 tomorrow. We'll be lucky to get this programmed and set up for the 5 different sizes. We can't do a whole lot of iterations." She said..."I don't think I can work with you."

Long story short. We used my model. The president loved it. The other analyst moved to another Fed where she spent 2 years developing a more detailed model. I don't think it ever worked better than mine, though :harhar: