User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which functions are easier to understand?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extrovert: Xe functions

3 10.71%
  • Extrovert: Xi functions

2 7.14%
  • Extrovert: No discernible difference

2 7.14%
  • Introvert: Xe functions

3 10.71%
  • Introvert: Xi functions

6 21.43%
  • Introvert: No discernible difference

7 25.00%
  • All cognitive functions are nonsensical

5 17.86%
123 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Default Grasping Functions

Interesting thing I heard once which I want to explore for accuracy:

Theory is introverts can understand introverted functions better/quicker/more naturally than extroverted ones and vice versa for extroverts.

As an extrovert who finds Fi mysterious, Ni voodoo-esque and Ti hard to explain and yet can grasp Se without using it the concept works, I had assumed extroverted functions were simply easier to grasp until some introverts told me that wasn't the case for them.

So, what functions do/did you struggle to get your head around?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I understand Ne, Ti, and Fe. I have no idea what Te is, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with buildings. The S-family I don't understand at all. Si? Se? Am I in Spanish class? And I don't really get Si v. Fi. If Se is the way you feel outside stuff like the floor, wouldn't Si be the way you feel your feelings? But isn't that Fi? Fee Fi Fo Fum, less function, more...tequila.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I guess I understand them all equally on the same level.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Si is a complete mystery to me. It doesn't matter what descriptions I read...just doesn't compute. Other than that, Se is always kind of fuzzy and I can't tell the flipping difference between Te and Ti How do you think outside of your body? Sounds like Black Magic to me.
    Witch hunt, anyone?

~*79% Extraverted*~
    ~*74% iNtuition*~
    ~*74% Feeling*~
    ~*58% Judging*~

Enneagram Type: SX 3w2

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

The functions I have a hard time grasping:
    Ni, Si, Te & Fe. Basically, my inferior functions and the ones I supposedly don't use. Ne, Se, Fi & Ti are easy for me to understand.

Ni is always described as being psychic or something retarded like that, so I figure the descriptions are poorly written, but no one seems able to differentiate it from Ne very well without getting convoluted. The best I can make of it in simple wording is looking inward for a new possibility/meaning, instead of outward for many new possibilities/meanings.

Si seems strange to me because I use it in the tertiary mode which is sort of frivolous, and it tends to make me see it that way....but I know that is not correct; from reading Jung, Si is quite complex. I generally find the Pi functions hard to grasp, since I associate perceiving with external information. Reading Jung helped some, but they just don't ring as clear as other functions.

Te & Fe are odd to me, because reasoning outwardly and using external criteria is backwards to my mind. I suppose I can get my head around them, but it's just a foreign concept.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP

There is this one function called Ni. Whenever I try to describe it, I end up with Ne or Si.

I have a theory. There are only seven mental functions: N, Ti, Fe, Si, Te, Fi and Se. (presented here in the order I use them) People split N up in Ne and Ni to make things symmetrical and the theory more beautiful; but really they are one and the same.
    Or they are linked this strongly you can't discern them.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Well, I can't really claim to understand any of the functions that well, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    People split N up in Ne and Ni to make things symmetrical and the theory more beautiful; but really they are one and the same.
    My brain likes to put Ni and Ne into the same thing too.

It kind of does that with Se and Si sometimes too, but to a lesser degree. Even though that doesn't really make sense, because they are pretty different.

I feel like I do a better job understanding Fi, Fe, Ti, and Te.

Or maybe I think I understand them, but I don't really.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    -

I selected the "Extrovert: No discernible difference" section as a vote preference.
    Have a complete understanding of all the eight functions, it's difficult to recognise Ne or Fi within my own personal usage.

It is too vague to classify the ease of using all four Extroverted functions compared to all four Introverted Functions.
    ENTJ

Te > Ni > Ti > Se = Si > Fe > Ne > Fi

I think my judging functions might be easier for me to understand than my perceiving functions. Perceiving functions just take a whole lot of stuff in which I can sort of see a pattern to, judging functions I actually make decisions using and interact with. They define me more.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    There is this one function called Ni. Whenever I try to describe it, I end up with Ne or Si.

I have a theory. There are only seven mental functions: N, Ti, Fe, Si, Te, Fi and Se. (presented here in the order I use them) People split N up in Ne and Ni to make things symmetrical and the theory more beautiful; but really they are one and the same.
    Try these posts on for size, see if they fit

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    The difference really just seems to be where meaning and context are thought to emerge from:
    • Ni-types think of meaning and context as defined by the assumptions we take into the world -the perspectives we choose to hold as individuals. You change the meaning of reality and the possibilities available to you by allowing yourself to "look" at things in a different light - to actively ignore what simple observation suggests.
    • Ne-types think of meaning and context as defined by what we observe in the world - the web of connections that are just already there. To change the meaning of reality and the possibilities available to you, you have to allow yourself to be open to what observation suggests, and to not be arbitrarily dismissive of possibilities at first glance.
    Hello