User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which functions are easier to understand?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extrovert: Xe functions

3 10.71%
  • Extrovert: Xi functions

2 7.14%
  • Extrovert: No discernible difference

2 7.14%
  • Introvert: Xe functions

3 10.71%
  • Introvert: Xi functions

6 21.43%
  • Introvert: No discernible difference

7 25.00%
  • All cognitive functions are nonsensical

5 17.86%
First 1234 Last

Phantonym

I voted for the "nonsensical" because, well, I don't really care about the functions that much anymore. I don't struggle with understanding them, I've moved way beyond that already. For me, trying to put into words what I think they are is equally nonsensical. I just enjoy accumulating knowledge about them without the pressure of putting it into some concrete form.

As much as I've read about the functions and read what other people perceive the functions to be, I've gathered that nobody really knows what they're talking about or rather, they only think they know and there can never be consensus. The functions are open for individual interpretation and whatever you think they are, they are and, overall, it doesn't really matter anyway because there are far more important things to ponder about.

MBTI
    entp

i get how NeTi, Te, Fe, Si work

i tried dissecting Ne but got crazy lost in my own head...had to quit doing that cuz the world needed some of my attention too

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I voted for the "nonsensical" because, well, I don't really care about the functions that much anymore. I don't struggle with understanding them, I've moved way beyond that already. For me, trying to put into words what I think they are is equally nonsensical. I just enjoy accumulating knowledge about them without the pressure of putting it into some concrete form.

As much as I've read about the functions and read what other people perceive the functions to be, I've gathered that nobody really knows what they're talking about or rather, what they think they know does not really convey in text and there can never be consensus. The functions are open for individual interpretation and whatever you think they are, they are and, overall, it doesn't really matter anyway because there are far more important things to ponder about.
    Yea, this is where I am. I just bought the book Deep Typing, but at this point, it's simply for kicks and I'm basically just amassing information. Like Tamske, the most difficult functions for me to discern a difference between are Ne/Ni. I'd like to say I most easily understand Ti, Se/Si, and Fe. The more I read about them, the less difference I see between them. They seem ubiquitous in us all, and impossible to measure. The functions are god.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    There is this one function called Ni. Whenever I try to describe it, I end up with Ne or Si.

I have a theory. There are only seven mental functions: N, Ti, Fe, Si, Te, Fi and Se. (presented here in the order I use them) People split N up in Ne and Ni to make things symmetrical and the theory more beautiful; but really they are one and the same
    Wow, that's just what I thought when I first heard of Ni.
    I think, as someone else said, it's just inadequate descriptions.

The way I understand it now; Ne starts from external objects, and branches out multiple possibilities or connections from them, while Ni starts with a bunc of things, including symbolic meanings, and draws them to an internal conclusion. In both cases, you have a focal point, where multiple things converge, howver, the convergences run in opposite directions, and in different locations (i.e. internal or external).

Overall, even as an introvert, I think introverted functions are harder to understand, because of the fact that they are internal, which is harder to "see" and differentiate than the external world. I would say Fi and Ni are the hardest to explain and hence, the poor definitions and misunderstandings about them.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

There is this one function called Ni. Whenever I try to describe it, I end up with Ne or Si.

I have a theory. There are only seven mental functions: N, Ti, Fe, Si, Te, Fi and Se. (presented here in the order I use them) People split N up in Ne and Ni to make things symmetrical and the theory more beautiful; but really they are one and the same.
    Or they are linked this strongly you can't discern them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Well, I can't really claim to understand any of the functions that well, but:
    My brain likes to put Ni and Ne into the same thing too.
    Hmmm... two Ne users who can't figure out the difference between Ni and Ne. What a surprise...

Tamske: your theory is crap. Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Here's a hint: look at my avatar. That's Ni. Not Ne. That much should be obvious.

I put it this way once: "Ne is like a camera, Ni is like the light."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Hmmm... two Ne users who can't figure out the difference between Ni and Ne. What a surprise...

:sad:

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post

:sad:
    Sorry, Lacey, the perturbance displayed was aimed at Tamske, not you...

I'd never (intentionally) hurt an NFP...

Tamske: your theory is crap. Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Here's a hint: look at my avatar. That's Ni. Not Ne. That much should be obvious.

I put it this way once: "Ne is like a camera, Ni is like the light."
    What do you see when you look at your avatar?

As an Ne-Monster I dont notice what it is or even care-I notice the pattern in the lines and question where does each line go? But almost immediately shift to look at all of the lines at once and capture the meta pattern of where do all the lines go? Then I shift back to the center and then retrace the line patterns capturing the perpendicular intersections.

Oh wait thats a guy isnt it. Then I use Si to see oh, dude the lines are flames and there are eyeballs everywhere and he is wrapped around a planet. WTF? Then I go all happy NeFi cause I do like the little galaxies. They are kinda cute!

I am especially drawn towards the back where the lines disappear-I feel a very strong urge to keep looking over the horizon to continue the pattern and identify possible permutations and predictions based upon the part of the pattern I can see.

Same thing in the upper corners.

Also-there is an illusion of depth as the lines curve-I am intrigued by that and want to understand it better. To touch it and trace the depth for lack of a better word.

(This could be Fi contamination into Ne. I think Fi is meant to mirror exceptionally complex data sets-ie people. I just use it for other shit cause people suck)

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I have a theory. There are only seven mental functions: N, Ti, Fe, Si, Te, Fi and Se. (presented here in the order I use them) People split N up in Ne and Ni to make things symmetrical and the theory more beautiful; but really they are one and the same.
    Or they are linked this strongly you can't discern them.

Ni does exist. It's just illusory and effervescent. When I use it out loud, people either think I'm baked, or that I don't know what I'm talking about.

What a fun thread........I'll be back.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Sorry, Lacey, the perturbance displayed was aimed at Tamske, not you...

I'd never (intentionally) hurt an NFP...

Haha, no worries.

Your comment just got me thinking...

I said that I don't really understand Ni, but that's your dominant function as an INTJ. I mean, that must be pretty frustrating for you to hear: "I don't really understand how you think."

I don't "get" Ni at the moment, as far as I can tell, so my brain likes to shortcut it and lump it in with Ne...it's sad how that can be my first instinct sometimes...you know, oversimplifying things.

On a wider scale, going away from functions and into real world stuff...there are tons of viewpoints/ways of thinking/lifestyles I don't understand, meaning that there are plenty of people I don't understand.

I'm held back by my ignorance and limited perception.

It really frustrates me.

I'm working on it though, I promise.