User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by fusetah View Post
    I'd like to know this aswell.

Sidenote; I hear that Jungs personality types was created around the results of 100 experimental participants in Schweiz.
    Actually it was 16 people in Minneapolis; that's where the first applications materials were developed
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    @bold: agreed. In fact, I like that sentence; there's a wisdom to that.

@purple: This is, I think, one of the best usages of MBTI. It validates at the very least that there are multiple ways of perceiving and interacting with the world and each has a credible claim to contemplation.

At worst, people use it like some sort of divining rod, and try to wrap their world and life around the concepts. "I couldn't do that, I'm an XXXX"- type of thinking.
    edcoaching

MBTI
    CAGE

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Actually it was 16 people in Minneapolis; that's where the first applications materials were developed
    They just happened to be 16 different "types" aswell?

Are you sure the 16 diden't come after the said 100?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

If you are looking for a study such as was done to create the NEO-PI you won't find quite the same thing. Although the correlations between the two are significant. I'm not interested in studies that validate the MBTI instrument itself. Many of the more important results are in the applications, as far as I'm concerned. Read Health Care Communication Using Personality Type: Patients are Different! by Allen and Brock, for example. They used Critical Incident Technique to investigate differences in patient needs, a widely accepted method. Or, the engineering education studies at Richard Felder: Resources in Science and Engineering Education that changed who was graduating. I'm giving very specific examples, not pointing to the only things I know of. Or, go to CAPT: Training, Books, Research for MBTI, Archetypes, Leadership, Psychological Type. and search the bibliography for publications you believe are worthy and see what you find.
    edcoaching

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

implementation is almost untenable. i discuss this with my entp friend who wants to create social experiments and develop market research tools. we both see our own roles as facilitators, communicators, inventors, futurists, project leaders, and humanitarians. it helps focus our hypotheses, but it must remain implicit and in the background rather than being foregrounded scientifically.

problems:
    -power over the socio-symbolic identity of another
    -definition of patterns so abstract as cognitive functions
    -cognitive science and scientific approaches
    -the unbridged chasms between clinical testing, self-report, and theory in psychology
    -perceived differences in status of various types

i agree that skilled practitioners can help deal with some of these issues with a well-cultivated sensitivity, but i don't know that i prefer an official stance. there's too much invested in a company line, an authoritative institutionalized word.

currently, psychology is rather impotent (for counselors) (and for sorority girls) and psychiatry holds the real power (as it's connected to drug research). i think the best usage of type theory will be in helping expand pedagogical approaches and tightening our own understanding of how students can learn best. it also can fit into rhetoric, composition, pedagogy curriculums. the whole life coach approach by like a type theory guru seems about as good as it gets for now.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    implementation is almost untenable. i discuss this with my entp friend who wants to create social experiments and develop market research tools. we both see our own roles as facilitators, communicators, inventors, futurists, project leaders, and humanitarians. it helps focus our hypotheses, but it must remain implicit and in the background rather than being foregrounded scientifically.

problems:
    -power over the socio-symbolic identity of another
    -definition of patterns so abstract as cognitive functions
    -cognitive science and scientific approaches
    -the unbridged chasms between clinical testing, self-report, and theory in psychology
    -perceived differences in status of various types

i agree that skilled practitioners can help deal with some of these issues with a well-cultivated sensitivity, but i don't know that i prefer an official stance. there's too much invested in a company line, an authoritative institutionalized word.

currently, psychology is rather impotent (for counselors) (and for sorority girls) and psychiatry holds the real power (as it's connected to drug research). i think the best usage of type theory will be in helping expand pedagogical approaches and tightening our own understanding of how students can learn best. it also can fit into rhetoric, composition, pedagogy curriculums. the whole life coach approach by like a type theory guru seems about as good as it gets for now.
    I agree with this.

But I find the bolded interesting because the status (not just perceived, the actual status) of those roles are decidedly not detail oriented or boots on the ground. Notice how you've already positioned yourselves in the hierarchy?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    You can google active listening skills and a ton of stuff comes out without even mentioning MBTI. I'd prefer those be taught as a first line than MBTI.
    What I hear you saying is that it would be good if people learned to listen first. Well said.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

heart on fire

I'd hate to see MBTI used as anything other than a private, personal test for use by the self.

I think it should be a matter or privacy what someone tests as in personality like this. It's no one's business. Especially not someone in human resources at a job.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I'd hate to see MBTI used as anything other than a private, personal test for use by the self.
    It's actually unethical for a practitioner to share the results of the actual instrument with anyone else but the person who took it. In a well-facilitated teambuilding session, however, people see that all the differences are great ways to be. I don't have trouble getting people to share voluntarily.

I think it should be a matter or privacy what someone tests as in personality like this. It's no one's business. Especially not someone in human resources at a job.
    As far as for employee selection, it's unethical and always has been, besides being pointless. First, it's a self reporting instrument and therefore the results need to be interpreted before one determines best fit type. Second results say nothing about skills so it's useless as a selection tool. Third the "outlier" on a team, with the right skills, can be the best source of wisdom because of the whole constructive use of differences with which I started this thread. HR can actually make poor choices if they exclude using inventory results...

But what I really started this thread over is the actual theory--that all types are created equal. Is that too radical for human beings to accept? That an overarching framework might not be a hierarchy?
    edcoaching

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I agree with this.

But I find the bolded interesting because the status (not just perceived, the actual status) of those roles are decidedly not detail oriented or boots on the ground. Notice how you've already positioned yourselves in the hierarchy?
    we generate new ideas. why would we see ourselves as detail oriented, when that is what we are not?

the status is prescribed by how people value different tasks, and rarity, and the way various skills fit into social games. it's still a market in which we exchange our skills for something else given back to us.

also, we are both sx leads, so we both desire a big and impactful self-expression/self-assertion. i imagine the specific cultural space plays a large role in helping these desires find their own way and develop their own form/shape/expectations.