User Tag List

First 12

Thread: The Ni Fake Nap

MBTI
    OMNi

I have three primary scenarios.

The first is I replay conversations in my head, changing elements of what I may have said and done so I look better than I did. I developed this strategy to cope with the anxiety I felt when I had said or done something stupid, or to calm down after someone had said or done something to me that upset me greatly.

The second is I imagine taking some idea or philosophy to the extreme and imagine if I were president or someone important, how it would pan out.

The third is usually just fantasizing and exploring how I feel, which is sadly usually much more intensely than I in real life. A lot of these are spin offs of anime, movies, and books, where I take on the identity of a new character and live it out in that imaginary world.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I have three primary scenarios.

The first is I replay conversations in my head, changing elements of what I may have said and done so I look better than I did. I developed this strategy to cope with the anxiety I felt when I had said or done something stupid, or to calm down after someone had said or done something to me that upset me greatly.
    I don't know if it's to look better then I did but I also do this quite a lot. Just to see all the different routes it could've taken. It's like reading an alternate reality story, when the protagonist does one thing differently, and through a comedy of events the earth explodes.

I do all the things mentioned in the OP.

When I get too busy to do these things, I start feeling bad. I need my day-dream time. I also need social goof-off time (despite being an introvert).

I used to day-dream a lot more about who I would be and what I would like to accomplish. But those type of day-dreams have waned, since I've gotten to where I wanted to be, in many ways, and things have turned out not to be that great. But, I think, I need these type of dreams for motivation, since these days I don't feel like doing much at all.

Actually, I day-dream a lot when I'm at work (I don't close my eyes or anything). But I pretend that people I have respected in real life (or imaginary versions of people I've read) are judging my work, and/or giving me suggestions on how to proceed.

I also have imaginary machines that I let run in my head (these are computing machines, so they are not visual, and generally I do only a few steps).

Sometimes, I explicitly go back and read the essays that prompt my thinking (like Feynman's "Cargo Cult Science" essay, or some of Popper's philosophy), but often, I just replay simple advice given by parents, friends, x-bosses, and co-workers.

Unfortunately, when people watch me too closely, they get annoyed, and believe I do very little real work. Though if they are just familiar with my past work they think the opposite.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

A question to the lot of you: are these "daydreams" responses to, or direct coping mechanisms for, real life?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    A question to the lot of you: are these "daydreams" responses to, or direct coping mechanisms for, real life?
    I've gone white-water rafting, played in competitive varsity sports games, trudged through mucky trails on canoe trips, lived in a hut with wicker walls and a tin roof through the wickedest thunderstorm, abseiled (rappelled) down a 100m+ waterfall, gone SCUBA diving on a coral reef in Mexico, surfed on the beaches of world famous surfing spot Jeffrey's Bay in South Africa, summitted multiple mountains on multiple continents...

and let me tell you, the daydreams are more thrilling. Seriously.

edit: upon further reflection, the thunderstorm in the tin roof beats them all (the 40 year old leader who was guiding us through the middle of nowhere even claimed it was the best thunderstorm he'd ever experienced, it was that great). but daydreaming beats the rest.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    My INFP brother says his are more surreal than mine. I think he's more prone to make a whole new world, whereas I take the existing earth; it's more efficient so I can get to teh good stuff of daydreaming
    This is the difference between my INFP brother (and my INFP cousin) and me. I take the existing earth into my daydream world as well. My brother and cousin have their own little place with their own little characters. It's more of an escape from reality than mine seems to be. Mine tends to be a highly imaginative extension of reality?

Mine involves interacting with people I know in all sorts of ways. I would guess this MAY be the difference between an INTJ and INFJ - INFJ's are notoriously systemizers of human relaionships. If it's a problem I'm working out, I'll occasionally talk to myself. If it's simply during my fake naps, I am just imagining scenarios involving certain people & how they are reacting and interacting. I get very lost in it. I love Ni.

Maybe the fake nap is a form of introvert recharge time? I tend to need them most after a day around people. Getting in tune with ourselves may just be getting in tune with our dominant functions - whether it be Ni, Fi, Ti, or Si. Extraverts, I believe, would need interaction for theirs... hence why my old ENFP roommate didn't really understand why I needed my fake naps.

I find I also need my fake nap when I'm anticipating a social event. I tend to lock myself in my room for an hour before getting ready to go out with friends - I guess to recharge my Ni or Ti before having to use Fe & Se all damn night? It's an interesting idea...

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Umm depends. If I have a problem in my life, I will initially work it out in my daydreams (or in my head, I guess). I tend to do the same when I have to cope with something as well.

However, that isn't the ONLY time I daydream like I've described in my previous post. I truly need to daydream in order to not get burnt out on day to day reality.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post

Add this to my list of things I do during my fake naps. The INFJ constant need for self improvement? The Ni perfectionism rearing it's ugly head?