First 12345 Last

Thread: The Tertiary

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Described with examples...

Good tertiary Ne:
    "OMG look at that cool thing! I can MAKE stuff out of that!" *begins to search for scissors and Elmer's Glue*
    "Dude, is it just me or does that cloud look like a guy with a funny mustache?"
    "...Sure, why not? No harm in trying!"

Bad tertiary Ne:
    "GAH I don't know what to do! There's no rational choice here!!! I can't decide!!!!!! *sigh* FINE, I'll just pick a random thing!"
    "Well, I could either do this fun thing, or I could finish my dull and monotonous work... or HEY LOOK it's a cool new thing!" *proceeds to do pointless Google searching for an hour to avoid the annoying work that needs to be done*
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Ok people, I want to hear some bitching about tertiary Te and tertiary Si specifically! Out with it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchymcsketcherson View Post
    Sometimes I am far too aware of my internal state. I have a feel of impending illness, like something is wrong with the inner workings of my body.

Especially if the weather is gloomy or depressing, I have this feeling of something very wrong on the horizon. I can't get comfortable, I feel trapped in my own skin, etc.
    wow. same here. i am crazily sensitive to everything i ingest. which can be wonderful as far as knowing myself, but also can be so annoying; hard to join everyone else on a pub crawl fueled by greasy pizza and pitchers of beer when every step of the way you feel your body crying out, "NOOOOOO!"

weather affects me deeply (unfortunately, i live in the midwest where the changes are frequent and varied!)....changes in barometric pressure can make my ears pop and give me a headache that feels like a vice. same with sudden drastic changes in temperature, like going into a very warm room after going through a blizzard outside - that makes me literally dizzy.
    if it's too dry, i cough, get nosebleeds, and generally just feel "off"; less attuned to my emotional/intuitive faculties and more prone to let my scary Ti side dominate. i am a believer in the "body/mind connection" simply based on having these kinds of experiences all my life.

edit: not asked for, but i think i'll balance my complaints with some positives of the tertiary Si i've noticed anyway.

i feel like i have a database of images in my head. not just vague outlines, but real snapshots, like a visual encyclopedia. sometimes these images also have associated sounds, smells or textures included with them (i have considered that i may be synesthetic because of my strong sensory associations, but that's another ramble altogether)... as a visual artist this is very helpful to me. if someone says "draw a tree" i have several tree images to choose from. i can trust secondary Ne to bring me into a more creative, elaborative place with my rendered image in the end, but it's the tertiary Si's foundation of forms that gets me started.

i have a rather strong visual memory. i will remember that the scissors are at the top right of the cluttered desk, just under the yellow papers...things like that. (this is useful in many scenarios, when drinking especially).

if i see an image that is derivative of something else, i will quickly recognize it. homages in art and movies are easy and natural to pick up on in this way.

i tend to get caught up in the details of the aesthetics of things more than focusing on the order of how these components all fit together, though (thanks for nothin', Ti!), so i would not be too good at configuring a cool maze, though i bet i could come up with the perfect plants to grow around it to make it memorable.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Good Tert. Fi for an INTJ:

Noble, strong-willed, and determined. Relates to other people, and allows you to understand their plight. Pleas to Ni-Te to be considerate of their effects on others. Gives a strong sense of who you are.

Usually encouraged by positive social interactions and self-discovery.

Bad Tert. Fi for an INTJ:

Stubborn, judgmental asshole with a penchant for being a wet-blanket. Causes endless frustrations with Se due to an "I'm above that" mentality. Vengeful.

Usually caused by something stressful, like a bad break-up or feeling betrayed. Particularly bad in youth, though eases significantly with maturity.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    STP

tertiary Ni at work- People were pointing finger at me to fix something and I tried pointing it at issue which was not under my control. They kept pushing back. I went on ignore mode, forcing the correct party to fix the problem.

healthy Ni at work - I have the ability to actually take control. I dig into the problem that is under someone elses control and spend as much time as I can understanding it, then walk them through the changes or do it myself explaining things along the way.
    Im out, its been fun

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Ok people, I want to hear some bitching about tertiary Te and tertiary Si specifically! Out with it!!!
    Well, it's specifically dominant Ti working in concert with Si... I've really noticed it because my husband's been gone for a few days and I revert to my hyper-introverted state when he's gone. (I become a good case study.)

Fucking Ti+Si turns me into an emotionless shell that spends twelve hours a day on typology forms, desiring as much quotable information as possible. I read the same stupid-ass shit over and over, I have no concept of time or priorities, I eat like shit, I forget to brush my teeth, I no longer listen to music, the external world in its present tense no longer exists, nor is there a future.

I become an internet post instead of a human being.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    Good Tert. Fi for an INTJ:

Noble, strong-willed, and determined. Relates to other people, and allows you to understand their plight. Pleas to Ni-Te to be considerate of their effects on others. Gives a strong sense of who you are.

Usually encouraged by positive social interactions and self-discovery.

Bad Tert. Fi for an INTJ:

Stubborn, judgmental asshole with a penchant for being a wet-blanket. Causes endless frustrations with Se due to an "I'm above that" mentality. Vengeful.

Usually caused by something stressful, like a bad break-up or feeling betrayed. Particularly bad in youth, though eases significantly with maturity.
    Nice assessment.

My boss is one of the INTJs who went through radical changes during my long employment here, and you've described his Mr. Hyde / Dr. Jeckyl phases to a T.

He was around 50 when he flipped, and I think the flip was triggered by being pushed to his breaking point and suffering health issues, which made him realize he'd die if he didn't "let go." Letting go seems to have let his Fi flip over.

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Well, it's specifically dominant Ti working in concert with Si... I've really noticed it because my husband's been gone for a few days and I revert to my hyper-introverted state when he's gone. (I become a good case study.)

Fucking Ti+Si turns me into an emotionless shell that spends twelve hours a day on typology forms, desiring as much quotable information as possible. I read the same stupid-ass shit over and over, I have no concept of time or priorities, I eat like shit, I forget to brush my teeth, I no longer listen to music, the external world in its present tense no longer exists, nor is there a future.

Yeah, it's easy to become isolated, alone, and entrenched -- and also just mulling over the past and lost in ideas and books and media and projects you've already completed long ago -- instead of engaging the present moment and people.

Positive Si for me has been a way to ground myself when I Ne out too much and get scattered, unfocused, and lost amid possibilities. In the last few years, I've also been driven to extrovert a lot and can compare drain my reserves; and holing up and anchoring to what I know and have done before is what I need sometimes, to recharge. It also gives me a grounding with people, esp family, and a sense of integrity between my past and present. I also recall and savor experiences (good and bad) that were meaningful to me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

‚ÄúPleasure to me is wonder‚ÄĒthe unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.‚ÄĚ ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    4/7

I donít know if is healthy or not but I seldom use my tertiary function... Usually when I have to analyze things in a cold logical way I drift into my ENTP tendencies and revel in the abstraction of facts until I can make some sense of it. I donít like to impose my views into other people or control my environment like the Te dictates. Instead, I analyze the best option and act accordingly in my Ne Fi kind of way. Te seems to be a really tyrannical part of my personality, (no offence ENTJ's and ESTJ; we need tough minded people like you.) The only times that I let my Te free rein is during an emergency or sports. Then it is truly useful to leave the more sensible functions behind. During a fight I think of only how to hurt my opponent and none of the sensibilities or potential consequences. This is why I try to subdue this part of myself... Plus I donít see why Fi and Ti canít and work together inside my head. I find that they meld very nicely. End product = a nerdy ENFP. Who can stop me now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by niberrizbe25 View Post
    I donít know if is healthy or not but I seldom use my tertiary function... Usually when I have to analyze things in a cold logical way I drift into my ENTP tendencies and revel in the abstraction of facts until I can make some sense of it. I donít like to impose my views into other people or control my environment like the Te dictates. Instead, I analyze the best option and act accordingly in my Ne Fi kind of way. Te seems to be a really tyrannical part of my personality, (no offence ENTJ's and ESTJ; we need tough minded people like you.) The only times that I let my Te free rein is during an emergency or sports. Then it is truly useful to leave the more sensible functions behind. During a fight I think of only how to hurt my opponent and none of the sensibilities or potential consequences. This is why I try to subdue this part of myself... Plus I donít see why Fi and Ti canít and work together inside my head. I find that they meld very nicely. End product = a nerdy ENFP. Who can stop me now!!!
    It gets all tangled in the Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post

Uhh.. You're thinking of PMS.
    YES! That was very insightful. Awesome! Yes this was how I feel at PMS-but it "feels" Te with no Fi buffer and little Ne optimism. It feels shallow, hollow, insubstantial, with no real fortitude. Like you'd expect tertiary Te in isolation to be.

Which means the rest of the time I may think I am using Te in isolation but really blending it with a whole bunch of other stuff. (Damn INTJs)

Hugs for the ENTJs of the world!

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    4/7

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post

My friend what is the point of learning if dont use this knowledge? When are you going to use all this psychological knowledge and take over the world? I say, get out there and show people the power of knowing! They are too busy monitoring the ENTPs and ENTJs. They will never expect it from the quite INTP Please remember Nico and all the ENFP's when you have complete control over all our fates...

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    4/7

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    It gets all tangled in the Fi.
    Depends on your moral values. I find that mine dont clash with logic.