User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: entj or intj?

MBTI
    INTP

Default entj or intj?

How can you tell an ENTJ from an INTJ? I know, this should be easy, but I've been having trouble "typing" one of my friends for a while now. I'm pretty sure he's one of those two types.

He's a hard-working biology student, active in several clubs, has a lot of friends, etc. but doesn't seem to particularly want to manage other people, or have control over them. Isn't that an important thing to ENTJs?

I have two INTJ friends and he doesn't seem quite like an INTJ to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

How many stupid sexual jokes does he make?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

"but doesn't seem to particularly want to manage other people, or have control over them."

well he's probably not Te dominant then. INTJ.

p.s. I vs. E is NOT boolean. it's a spectrum.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

The standing distinction is, and I quote, "ENTJ, the Wizard of Oz; INTJ, the man behind the curtain."

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ama View Post
    How can you tell an ENTJ from an INTJ? I know, this should be easy, but I've been having trouble "typing" one of my friends for a while now. I'm pretty sure he's one of those two types.
    The first one tends to initiate contact with people more often, tends to say more what's on his mind, acts more before he speaks, is more enthusiastic and noticeably louder.

He's a hard-working biology student, active in several clubs, has a lot of friends, etc. but doesn't seem to particularly want to manage other people, or have control over them. Isn't that an important thing to ENTJs?
    Supposedly it is. However, when you think about it, it doesn't really make any sense for the type that is supposedly the "leader" in the MBTI.

I think that anyone that is actually interested in controlling and managing people for its own sake is not a leader. Such a person would seem more to have a mental illness of some sort and be a "Little Dictactor". Little Dictactors achieve very little in this world apart from alienating themselves from others. They might be feared for their attitude, but when they have their back turned people's resentment surfaces. They only manage to anger others and eventually people gang up on them.

I think that a real leader doesn't take control, but senses the moment where other people are giving it to him. A real leader is not interested in controlling people but in helping facilitate team decisions. A leader must not impose other people to do things (the only exception is in a crisis). Leaders get out the best out of others and make them feel good.

I consider myself an ENTJ and I've never been seen as controlling or wanting to manage other people. Then again, I'm not what one would describe a leader either, even if I have often landed in such a role. However, I have seen other ENTJ's be more of the leader types and they did not show signs of controlling people outside situations where that possibility was actually given to them by others.

I have two INTJ friends and he doesn't seem quite like an INTJ to me.
    Maybe just a well developped ENTJ then?

MBTI
    INTP

Thanks for replying! From what people here have said, it seems that he's probably an INTJ.

That does make sense. I keep forgetting how extroverted an introvert can act when they're with friends, and come to think of it, he's not really loud or anything with most people.

"How many sexual jokes does he make?" Haha, not many.

So... INTJ. Cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

so that's why.. hmmm.... now, that just gave me an insight. thanks!

MBTI
    INTJ

I've had friends before that never saw me except in the company of my best friends. One day we were talking about MBTI and it came up that I was an INTJ. One of my friends responds with, "You're an I?!" ...and I had known this guy for years. So I'd have to agree that E/I isn't the easiest to tell when in the company of friends. A good indicator is that an I will tend to "zone out" at least occasionally, even amongst friends after awhile.

Now...when you're not in the company of friends...we can still both be extraverted and appear similar...but it will be natural for an ENTJ, and probably will have been learned/practiced by an INTJ.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ama View Post
    Thanks for replying! From what people here have said, it seems that he's probably an INTJ.

That does make sense. I keep forgetting how extroverted an introvert can act when they're with friends, and come to think of it, he's not really loud or anything with most people.

"How many sexual jokes does he make?" Haha, not many.

So... INTJ. Cool.
    It's fairly common for INxJ's to be mistaken for an extravert.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP

maybe he's ESTJ

I'm often baffled on these forums by the blatant assumption that no one in college is an SJ. In fact, nothing in your description of him suggests anything more about his perceiving function than the fact that it's probably introverted (Si or Ni)
    I don't wanna!