User Tag List

First 12

Generally speaking, MBTI type does not change, while "personality" can, somewhat. There are exceptions:
    Phineas Gage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Here, I had started a subject about an apparent type change (which most do not realize, because they look at the person now long after the change):
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-analysis.html

I don't think it's really a type change; just a shifting of the functions (and their outward behavior) due to a physical trauma in addition to the normal development point in that direction anyway.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    When I was a kid I was raised in a very stressful home. I spoke to no one, was very shy, and lived in my head mostly.

I would have struck most people as exceptionally introverted to the point of it being an issue. I learned to socially converse when others at about 17 or so. I would have been a decided INFP at this point.

In high school I moved into the sciences and went to undergrad in the sciences. I was surrounded by NTPs. I became mildly extroverted but everything I did was analytical. I was just a bit sillier on the rare occasion I was extroverted. I would have scored as an ENTP at this point.

In grad school I became more accepting of who I am, and realized I had this weird silly underbelly. Somewhere I learned how to feel things. I found MBTI at this point and I tested as an ENTP, then an ENFP, then an ENTP. But my ENTP friend laughed and said the enfp made more sense. (At this point our INTJ tested as an INTJ, promptly retook the test and tested as an INFP)

The whole time I was really an ENFP in varying states of growth but the test cant capture that. The test is flawed for this reason.
    I think this is the case for most individuals who believe their type has changed over the years.

However... I do think personality type change is possible, particularly in the cases of traumatic brain injury or psychological trauma. I do not think it is the norm, though.
    j'adore les chats

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiana View Post
    I think this is the case for most individuals who believe their type has changed over the years.

However... I do think personality type change is possible, particularly in the cases of traumatic brain injury or psychological trauma. I do not think it is the norm, though.
    I agree with this. I see people thinking their type has changed when it probably hasn't, but I don't believe it is impossible to change type. The brain is known to be very adaptive. In certain conditions parts of the brain could strengthen or weaken and cause a permanent change in the order of preference.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.