User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Holy crap!--the orientation of the tertiary?!

The MBTI Manual as it stands, 3rd edition, revised 2003, printed 2009, and Isabel Myers Briggs Gifts Differing, revised 1995, take what was apparently Jung's view on the tertiary function, that it, just like the auxiliary and the inferior, is opposite in orientation to the dominant function!

So now I'm puzzled. See, I believe the more current understanding (which comes from where?--I don't know), that the functions alternate orientation as one moves down the order. And I assume this is a relatively new idea. I for one forget where I read it and why I accepted it other than that it seems true. But what in sweet jesus blessed name does this mean for the type descriptions? They're all based on Izzie's ideas!

Who developed the idea of alternating orientations? How long has it been around? Are MBTI practitioners really walking around using the old type dynamics model?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    The MBTI Manual as it stands, 3rd edition, revised 2003, printed 2009, and Isabel Myers Briggs Gifts Differing, revised 1995, take what was apparently Jung's view on the tertiary function, that it, just like the auxiliary and the inferior, is opposite in orientation to the dominant function!

So now I'm puzzled. See, I believe the more current understanding (which comes from where?--I don't know), that the functions alternate orientation as one moves down the order. And I assume this is a relatively new idea. I for one forget where I read it and why I accepted it other than that it seems true. But what in sweet jesus blessed name does this mean for the type descriptions? They're all based on Izzie's ideas!

Who developed the idea of alternating orientations? How long has it been around? Are MBTI practitioners really walking around using the old type dynamics model?
    I know it looks intimidating, but if you actually read through my LONG DIATRIBE (click here) , I try to show why the i and e rotate like that.

Yes it is confusing, because Jung originally had the tertiary as the opposite orientation as the dominant, but apparently [someone] made it to be the same orientation as the dominant because the tertiary became the opposite of the auxiliary.

This stuff actually makes much more sense to me now, but I'm afraid I might not be doing a good job of explaining it. Blame it on my Ni which makes it clear to me internally, but has trouble explaining it to another.
    The purple sun won't heal my purple bruises :ouch:

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Wait what? So INTP= TiNeSeFe?

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Wait what? So INTP= TiNeSeFe?
    According to Jung, that's what it was supposed to be.

But later on, [someone] changed it to Ti Ne Si Fe.
    The purple sun won't heal my purple bruises :ouch:

MBTI
    ISFJ

NeFiTiSi might explain a lot...at least it validates my use of Ti.

I always thought that function theory didn't neatly fit with the four letter dichotomies. This is my problem with systems and too rigidly following them. Perception changes so much...and it's so easy to adapt our explanations if we really want to.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'd need to read some of these books or what have you to give any kind of analysis. Anything online?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Huh, that's interesting. I shall be a misfit. I wonder who changed the ordering around... because that was how I've always thought the theory should be.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTP

I don't care so much what Jung originally said, if what he said wasn't right. Si definitely works for me.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    NeFiTiSi might explain a lot...at least it validates my use of Ti.
    I'm not overly familiar with functions but I identify with Ti as I've seen it explained.

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    I don't care so much what Jung originally said, if what he said wasn't right. Si definitely works for me.
    ^
    Hello