123 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Default Beauty/Attraction and the functions

When we decide something is beautiful what function are we using? I assume it is the F functions. Do these functions have differing approaches to beauty?

For example would beauty to Fi be a value assigned by the individual (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) and Fe would see beauty as something assigned by the group (societal standards of beauty)?

Discuss.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan
    When we decide something is beautiful what function are we using?
    Any and all of them! Or none of them! The point being that no, finding something beautiful is not specific to a function(s). Describing something as "beautiful" just means that it's poking endorphin buttons in your brain - maybe in function terms, it would be somehow "confirming" or "illustrating" how your functions operate together.
    Hello

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

The erectile function. And it's always right!

For example, I might read (or compose) a phrase or sentence that helps clarify something in my head, and it will feel like a thousand pinball machine lights are going off all at once - in that moment, I might feel tempted to describe that phrase or sentence as "beautiful". It's like finding that one missing jigsaw piece that was preventing you from solving the puzzle in your head.
    Hello

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Go to an art museum with someone whose type is opposite yours (I was at the Met in NY with my ESTP husband last week...) and see if your criteria for beauty isn't almost opposite. I won't go into detail but let's just make clear that he found little value in Vermeer and Rembrandt but was enthralled by King Henry II's ivory-inlaid hunting pistol (which okay was kinda neat and does belong in a museum but...)
    edcoaching

Beauty is me.

No seriously.. I seem to be attracted to things I see in myself -- possibly fully realized and/or better than what I am, but something that feels comfortable, like home. Not that I shun mystery either.. I need that too. The mysterious side, the foreign element, the thing that's slightly different about it, is something I usually want to adapt to and take for my own -- adding to my own sense of beauty. But a little familiarity is what gets me attracted in the first place. And the more experiences I have and things I adapt to, the further my sense of beauty is refined.

How this all applies to functions though, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Beauty is me.

No seriously.. I seem to be attracted to things I see in myself -- possibly fully realized and/or better than what I am, but something that feels comfortable, like home. Not that I shun mystery either.. I need that too. The mysterious side, the foreign element, the thing that's slightly different about it, is something I usually want to adapt to and take for my own -- adding to my own sense of beauty. But a little familiarity is what gets me attracted in the first place. And the more experiences I have and things I adapt to, the further my sense of beauty is refined.

How this all applies to functions though, I don't know.
    Fi/Ni "in love with many versions of myself" with a bit of Se "mystery" attached?

Hello

Sounds about right, I guess

What is that pic... very interesting.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Beauty is me.
    This is kind of interesting to me. For the past 15 years people have been telling my wife and I that we look like brother and sister. Despite being MBTI polar opposites, we have many similarities, such as fitness habits, lifestyle choices, taste in foods, music, etc. There just might be something to what you said. We choose people who remind us of the parts of ourselves we like in some way, in some cases physical, and in others differently maybe. Hmmm.

I do know that when I met my wife's Dad, I was kind of shocked in that he is a gregarious extravert like me (maybe ESFX) and when he was younger he had long hair and was fit, like I am now. So somehow, I have thought that my wifey may have selected me as part of a subliminal Electra complex.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro