• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Do You Unlearn MBTI?

G

Ginkgo

You see, when you first learn about MBTI, it appears as a basic principle. People are of different personalities. So MBTI is a descriptor for these different people, just like an atlas is a descriptor for different countries. Afterward, you move into the functional theories, which elucidate the reasons why people are different. But even so, they are incomplete because they do not concern "nature vs. nurture", and can be dissected down into meaninglessness; just like all matter (like two seemingly different objects such as a pie and a table) can be dissected from the whole into the smaller bits. Afterwards, you realize that people are composed of the same stuff just as the universe is composed of the same stuff as itself. So why are we differentiating when there is nothing to differ? The only distinctions that need to be made are those that are individual and observable, as the elements are individual and observable. So when my friend says they don't enjoy rap music, I make sure I don't play it when I'm driving them in my car. Get it? But even now, I want to attribute this preference of distinction to my supposed type.

I really wish I could simply "unlearn" it. Unfortunately, I just keep shifting back and forth from one oculus to the other, seeing utility in both viewpoints by reverse mental processing. How do you unlearn it? Damn, I'm over-thinking this.

I think everyone on this site should smoke something fierce until they forget about MBTI. :D :smoke: :D

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Don't unlearn it, just learn better stuff. Try Buddhist psychology and meditation, or Transactional Analysis, or maybe Cognitive Therapy. Changes the way you see shit.

MBTI is a classification game more than anything*, IMO. It doesn't really give you insight into people, it just helps you categorize them. If you want to get people, you have to study motivation. All those disciplines involve core motivations, especially the first. When you start studying that, it puts MBTI in perspective, but also gives you great insight into people and what's really happening inside them, imho.

*When abused, people convert it into a source of personal identity, which goes back to motivation. to me, the way people misuse MBTI is more interesting than the actual tool itself.

G

Ginkgo

Don't unlearn it, just learn better stuff. Try Buddhist psychology and meditation, or Transactional Analysis, or maybe Cognitive Therapy. Changes the way you see shit.

MBTI is a classification game more than anything*, IMO. It doesn't really give you insight into people, it just helps you categorize them. If you want to get people, you have to study motivation. All those disciplines involve core motivations, especially the first. When you start studying that, it puts MBTI in perspective, but also gives you great insight into people and what's really happening inside them, imho.

*When abused, people convert it into a source of personal identity.

Good post. So it's just a matter of not pondering too long, but obsessing over something new. Just like a fad. MBTI is a fad for one's brain. Alas, times change, and we change with them. Some people move over to Socionics. Others delve into something unanticipated. Maybe I should do something creative. There's art. I need a teacher...

Thank you, kind sir! You have shoved me into action! Leave the rest to me.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I has a penis. The cat is scratching my penis. CAT SADOMASOCHISM! AHHHH!!

Oops! Sorry. I just saw "NF" and thought female. Also, your post reminded me of my NF friends (female) who thinks herself into these nihilistic, scientific states where everything becomes meaningless and mechanical. I think it's due to too much thinking in the wrong direction. In my personal experience, reality is best apprehended when you're not trying so hard to decode it.

Cheers, over-circumsized man! :jew:

G

Ginkgo

Oops! Sorry. I just saw "NF" and thought female. Also, your post reminded me of my NF friends (female) who thinks herself into these nihilistic, scientific states where everything becomes meaningless and mechanical. I think it's due to too much thinking in the wrong direction. In my personal experience, reality is best apprehended when you're not trying so hard to decode it.

Cheers, over-circumsized man! :jew:

See what I mean? Haha! Ok, may your chinchilla-furs be plentiful in all your days.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yep, with tweezers, plucking chest hair is good for the soul. I say, that should get you some way from unlearning this perfidious MBTI. Amidst the redness and the stockpile of hair you can cash in for dollars at a hairstylist, goldmine. :cheese:

VagrantFarce

You unlearn it by experiencing something that contradicts it, making you re-examine what you first thought you knew. Easy. :)

G

garbage

Just take it less seriously. Think about the useful aspects of the framework that you can take away, such as the very fact that people are different, exactly how they might be different (perceiving/judging is probably the big one here), and how communication styles vary. Think through them when they come up, but no sooner. Congratulations; now you can deal with people more effectively--which is pretty much the point of MBTI in the first place--without all of the useless fluff.

Oops! Sorry. I just saw "NF" and thought female.

:cry::cheese:

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
learn the box well enough? then gently step back out of it and use it when desired?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You see, when you first learn about MBTI, it appears as a basic principle. People are of different personalities. So MBTI is a descriptor for these different people, just like an atlas is a descriptor for different countries. Afterward, you move into the functional theories, which elucidate the reasons why people are different. But even so, they are incomplete because they do not concern "nature vs. nurture", and can be dissected down into meaninglessness; just like all matter (like two seemingly different objects such as a pie and a table) can be dissected from the whole into the smaller bits. Afterwards, you realize that people are composed of the same stuff just as the universe is composed of the same stuff as itself. So why are we differentiating when there is nothing to differ? The only distinctions that need to be made are those that are individual and observable, as the elements are individual and observable. So when my friend says they don't enjoy rap music, I make sure I don't play it when I'm driving them in my car. Get it? But even now, I want to attribute this preference of distinction to my supposed type.

I really wish I could simply "unlearn" it. Unfortunately, I just keep shifting back and forth from one oculus to the other, seeing utility in both viewpoints by reverse mental processing. How do you unlearn it? Damn, I'm over-thinking this.

I think everyone on this site should smoke something fierce until they forget about MBTI. :D :smoke: :D

The trick to keeping MBTI as a useful navigational tool [and not a rigid means of defining ourselves and others], is, like other abstract concepts, to never view it in terms of concrete, black-&-white-absolutes, I think. Because, truly, we're all the same, interconnected in this multidimensional plane we know as reality. Concepts like MBTI just assist in looking at the various dimesions through different scopes.. but it's all the same thing in the end, no matter how you see it.
And sheesh, that carries over to so many other aspects of life, as well. Fairly simple, yet so often overlooked. :yes:

..and.. Potato.. please never smoke anything. Space-time cannot handle the high Ne of such an extraordinarily peculiar tuber, and the very idea evokes a primal fear for the existence of all things.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
When you figure out how to unlearn all the other things that differentiate people let me know.

You made a big deal about being male instead of female, why does it even matter?

G

Ginkgo

When you figure out how to unlearn all the other things that differentiate people let me know.

You made a big deal about being male instead of female, why does it even matter?

I was merely clarifying. My male-ness matters because it is the truth; and as the truth, it ought to be preserved. Except for when it's a lie - then it's just funny. :yes: I can be anything you want me to be for 50 bucks, baby.

G

Ginkgo

Learn socionics!

Yeah, the village medicine man told me to do that too.

Blackfoot-Bear-Shaman-522x600.jpg

bobby

You unlearn it by experiencing something that contradicts it, making you re-examine what you first thought you knew. Easy. :)

I think it can be fairly easy to overlook contradiction. Sorta like in this picture:

elephant.jpg

When you look only at the top or only at the bottom, it looks all right, but if you'd have a look at the image as a whole you'd notice something's wrong. It takes a certain amount of brain power to be able to hold the whole picture in your head at the same time, and I think we should be careful not to overestimate our abilities in that regard. At least I don't feel I have a good enough grasp to be able to say one way or the other, and because of that I remain cautious. Perhaps others are more capable than me and can be more confident.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Are you posting in an MBTI forum asking how to forget MBTI?