• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is impulsivity a P or J or N or S thing

autobombo

MBTI Type
xNTP
the likelihood to indulge in immediate thoughts and desires
this does not necessarily mean plans don't follow through. there are just more steps involved.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
most associated with P, especially E__P

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably enneagram 7, not really any of the preferences.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Probably enneagram 7, not really any of the preferences.

The basic definition of Perceiving, that such people prefer to deal with their external world in real time and directly experience it as it comes (rather than rationally organizing/planning it), is clearly directly related to impulsive behavior.

This is less true of I__P types, but it's very clearly true for E__Ps who are dominant in that Extroverted Perception function.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The basic definition of Perceiving, that such people prefer to deal with their external world in real time and directly experience it as it comes (rather than rationally organizing/planning it), is clearly directly related to impulsive behavior.

This is less true of I__P types, but it's very clearly true for E__Ps who are dominant in that Extroverted Perception function.

Yeah I know that, the way he phrased it though made it sound different. It was just an idea. Lots of people are impulsive in general. I know EPs who aren't as impulsive as others, the 7 ones would be the most impulsive. The reason I said it was more of an enneatype thing is that the fact that he's impulsive sticks out to him as a trait of his, which is definitely 7.

But yeah E__P, OP is probably ENTP. :p

theplacesyoullgo

I think it depends on what goal of the impulsiveness is. Being impulsive in making decisions just to have the feeling of being over and done with something strikes me as very J. Being impulsive in suddenly deciding to explore another option or path when you're in the middle of something already seems very P.

Frank

I think it depends on what goal of the impulsiveness is. Being impulsive in making decisions just to have the feeling of being over and done with something strikes me as very J. Being impulsive in suddenly deciding to explore another option or path when you're in the middle of something already seems very P.

Agreed. There have been situations in which I have clearly been impulsive but as you said, I needed to make a decision not take in more abstract data in order to keep my options open.

theplacesyoullgo

Agreed. There have been situations in which I have clearly been impulsive but as you said, I needed to make a decision not take in more abstract data in order to keep my options open.

Right, me too. I'm very impulsive, but I'm impulsive because I loathe "keeping my options open." That phrase itself just freaks me out. One reason (among many...) that I'm awful at dating is because I don't like the feeling of everything being up in the air for a while - "are we gonna be in a relationship or not?!"