User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default Severe Introversion/Extroversion

I'm wondering how severe the need for alone time or socializing can be on people. Ever since I was young I get sick if I spend too much time in large groups of people. I get overly stimulated causing me to get migraines and become incredibly tired. The problem has lessened over time, but I still have it occur sometimes. I don't typically get like this if I have someplace I can be alone. Even being in the center of the entire group is fine if no one tries to get my attention.

I was curious if other introverts have such physical manifestations of introversion. Also, I'm curious if extroverts have similar problems with periods of no contact with other people. To me that seems even worse since there isn't the possibility of just tuning everything out.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

Phantonym

I start to feel that my brain is slowly and painfully turning into goo. At first I get easily irritable and start to snap at people and then it's like deep sea diving, getting deeper and deeper, trying to close everything around me off. It's like wearing earplugs, the sounds are muffled and I start to get a tension headache (forehead, beaming towards the temples), dull but consistent. Everything seems to lag and that goes for both mental and physical activity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

At some point I start feeling stressed. My heartbeat rises, I feel a kind of chill and start being mentally detached from my surroundings. My mind drifts, carrying me far, far away from reality. Then I feel an urge to leave but that's not always possible. I become less alert, unable to respond to what happens around me with the correct portrayal of emotion, all conversation is forced.

It happens in particular when I feel burnt out; I'm either bored to death with listening to all the conversations and bad jokes, or feel like my presence can no longer add value, so I won't be appreciated; there is no possible gain for me anymore so I get into my 'retreat' instinct.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I start to feel that my brain is slowly and painfully turning into goo. At first I get easily irritable and start to snap at people and then it's like deep sea diving, getting deeper and deeper, trying to close everything around me off. It's like wearing earplugs, the sounds are muffled and I start to get a tension headache (forehead, beaming towards the temples), dull but consistent. Everything seems to lag and that goes for both mental and physical activity.
    This is pretty accurate for me too. Then the best thing I can do is hurry home (hopefully without seeming rude), make a cup of tea and read for a while, or maybe watch some old episodes of Friends

I do have quite a high tolerance for being around people, and I really need some good solid regular interaction. But I almost always prefer one-on-one or smallish groups of good friends and good conversation. I get exhausted sooner or later in big parties where there are tons of people, all the conversation is very superficial and limited, and it might even be so loud that I have to shout to make myself heard and can barely hear what the other person is saying...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't really have physical symptoms from being around people too much, except for, perhaps, exhaustion. I just get very, very unhappy. I stop functioning mentally and I go on auto-pilot until I can go home.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm the exact opposite. I like to stay out late, and hated when my girlfriend would want to stay home and watch a movie. I need to be out in the action, or else I feel understimulated.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I definitely have an issue when i'm not around people enough. I feel completely drained and don't know what to do with myself. It becomes difficult to put forth the effort when an opportunity to be around people arises, although i know i'll start feeling recharged the second i am around them.
    When i am offered the chance to be around others, i very rarely pass it up. The people i am comfortable with are very addicting and refreshing to me, but it doesn't mean i don't need some periods of alone time. It merely means that i don't need long periods of time to myself.

I'd say that i would go crazy if didn't have any time to myself, but i would go even crazier if i only had time to myself, whereas introverts may go crazy if they have all of their time to themselves, but crazier if they didn't have any time to themselves.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

There's quite a bit of evidence that INTPs and ISTPs need less contact with other people than any other types. They're fully occupied observing the nuttiness of humanity...which is a good reason to type Sawyer on Lost as IS/NTP...
    edcoaching

I can function in social situations, but my introversion is more of a mood where I sometimes just feel better off on my own - not necessarily a feeling that I have to bolt, or regain my well being in a serious way. It's just a weighing of options - where introversion wins out.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not even introverted though -- that maybe I just like change, and going where something new or where the stimulation is at. Sometimes my only alternative from escaping a particular crowd is just chillin' on my own - which would seem like introversion. But in many cases, I'd rather not do that. I'm the type of person who will barhop, or might meet someone at a party.. and then stop hopping around with them/her/him to another party.. leaving the people I know.

Sorry if this out of the scope of this thread.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

without human interaction I start to feel a bit down and depressed and tired... I NEED to be around people to function, even though I feel like some sort of loser for saying that
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett