User Tag List

View Poll Results: If you had to change your type, what other type would you be?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

8 5.16%
  • INTJ

12 7.74%
  • ENTP

29 18.71%
  • ENTJ

26 16.77%
  • INFP

5 3.23%
  • INFJ

13 8.39%
  • ENFP

8 5.16%
  • ENFJ

20 12.90%
  • ISTP

6 3.87%
  • ISFP

6 3.87%
  • ESTP

7 4.52%
  • ESFP

3 1.94%
  • ISTJ

0 0%
  • ISFJ

4 2.58%
  • ESTJ

4 2.58%
  • ESFJ

4 2.58%
First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I choose my type, INFJ but my favorite type is INTJ. I seem to get a long with them very well. I wonder why that is? *besides being married to one*
    Shared Ni dominance is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Weird timing... I've just been spending the last several days wishing with all my heart I were another type. ESFJ, preferably. So I could be useful in my chosen job, stay-at-home mom and wife. As an INFJ, I am failing abysmally. The only side of INFJ I do like is Fe, so I'd like to keep that and keep being a "warm" mom and wife. But I'd give anything to get rid of this utterly useless iNtuition and get some good grounded Sensing instead. And Extraverted because I'm sick and tired of always having to avoid people and cancelling on stuff and being generally useless socially. I'd much rather be one of those annoying human locomotives that are always getting things done.

And not only would I jump at any opportunity to change my type, I would actually PAY to get my type changed, if that were possible. I hate being a useless* INFJ with every fiber of my being.

(* I'm not saying all INFJs are useless: I'm just saying that no matter how hard I try, I just can't find a way to make my type work for me and my life. If I were stinking rich, with a maid and a cook and a nanny at home, and I could spend my time writing or something, then I guess being INFJ would not be so bad. As my life is, though, it's a curse.)
    Wow. You really have some issues with your type. I don't really see Sensing as "good" or "grounded" like that. It's useful, but useful isn't necessarily better. And I really think it's too bad you're in a position where your weaknesses are emphasized. I think you should consider changing your expectations of yourself to fit your needs, rather than trying to change your needs to fit your expectations of yourself. That's not easy, of course, but... Does that make sense?

That said, I do feel bad about myself a little when I compare myself to ESxx types and see how good their social skills are. But all I have to do is look at how awkward some NT's are, and then I realize that I'm still pretty well-off in many ways. Also, I've learned to appreciate my abilities to understand what I read in a more lucid way, to figure out someone's motivations, etc.

MBTI
    INTP

I love being an INTP, but the one function I'm jealous of is Introverted Intuition. My Ni is incredibly low as I don't trust it all.

But I don't care that much for Extraverted Feeling or Thinking, so if I wanted to be a different type it would be an INTPNJ which is obviously imaginary.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

heart on fire

If I had to pick another type, I would pick INTP, but for all its pitfalls, I would prefer to stay INFP.

If I had to choose another type it would be ESTP. I need to be more outgoing and self confident in my job and life in general. I am usually sure of what I am doing, but I tend to avoid conflict and overlook some things, which does not help me to be a good supervisor.

As far as IQ goes, I feel that the testing used is fundamentally biased, and not a true measure of intelligence at all. (So saying, my IQ is in the 130 - 140 range. Certainly not exceptional, but I get by)
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching"I(95%) N(53%) T(84%) J(58%)
    5 sp/sx/so varient Global 5: sloan RCOEI; r|C|oei; primary Calm; R(66%)C(76%)O(58%)E(66%)I(62%)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Wow. You really have some issues with your type.
    Yeah, I do. It never did much for me, and it's only getting worse.

I don't really see Sensing as "good" or "grounded" like that. It's useful, but useful isn't necessarily better.
    That depends on your personal values, doesn't it? I happen to think that yes, useful is better. Which is why I would happily trade my DomNi for an AuxSi (and I'd still have TerNe, so it's not like I would be entirely deprived of iNtuition anyway).

And I really think it's too bad you're in a position where your weaknesses are emphasized.
    I was *always* in such a situation! There was NEVER in my life a time when being an INFJ was an unmitigated advantage. *If* it was an advantage for something, then it was always an advantage I had to pay a huge price for in some form or other.

I think you should consider changing your expectations of yourself to fit your needs, rather than trying to change your needs to fit your expectations of yourself. That's not easy, of course, but... Does that make sense?
    Not completely, because I'm not sure what you mean by "needs". What I do know, though, is that there are things in my life that I just HAVE to do - and that I not only don't know how to do, but RESENT having to do, because it goes straight against my grain. Attending to Sensing stuff, following routines, stuff like that just KILLS me inside - and yet there is simply NO WAY I can escape it. I'm not a pure spirit, my family are not pure spirits, and we don't live on a cloud: as distateful as it might be to my excessively Introverted and iNtuitive self, that's reality and I've got to deal with it.

That said, I do feel bad about myself a little when I compare myself to ESxx types and see how good their social skills are. But all I have to do is look at how awkward some NT's are, and then I realize that I'm still pretty well-off in many ways.
    The "look how much better you have it than X or Y" trick has never worked on me. If anything it makes me feel worse.

Also, I've learned to appreciate my abilities to understand what I read in a more lucid way, to figure out someone's motivations, etc.
    Oh sure, I appreciate, even love those abilities! But I love OTHER abilities better. I'd much rather be practical, efficient, and all those things people have listed about ESFJs. It's like: I love coconut, but I love chocolate even more. That's not a statement about coconut itself, it's just a statement about me preferring chocolate. I love what I can do as an INFJ, but I'd love to be able to do what ESFJs do even better - far better.

MBTI
    TiSe

I did not look at the entire postings, but this (I presume) would be a tell-tale sign of distinguishing sensing and intuition preferences. I would think that the average type preferring intuition would ask this at some point, whereas the average type preferring sensing would only want to be what they truly are, and being okay with that for better or worse.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I did not look at the entire postings, but this (I presume) would be a tell-tale sign of distinguishing sensing and intuition preferences. I would think that the average type preferring intuition would ask this at some point, whereas the average type preferring sensing would only want to be what they truly are, and being okay with that for better or worse.
    It might also just show who was making peace with themselves and wanting to stop wishing they were different and instead work on being the best version of themselves that they could be.

I have often wanted to be a thinker to be able to detach from emotion more often, but then I realized I would have to give up the high points that come from Fi and the vision it can give and then I realized I don't really want to be anything other than what I am, even though it does have its downside.

Still if I had to decide on another type, I would pick INTP. I admire their purity of thought.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I have often wanted to be a thinker to be able to detach from emotion more often, but then I realized I would have to give up the high points that come from Fi and the vision it can give and then I realized I don't really want to be anything other than what I am, even though it does have its downside.

Still if I had to decide on another type, I would pick INTP. I admire their purity of thought.
    Again sensing types in general, don't want to be anything other than what they are, especially ISPs.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Again sensing types in general, don't want to be anything other than what they are, especially ISPs.
    So your logic here is that only ISP can come to the point where they want to accept themselves and work on being true to their own inner vision/voice? INTP and INFP cannot come to this juncture, no matter how old they get or how much they develop inferior functions? The internal certainty of Fi or Ti plays no part in this decision at all huh? It is only S?

None of the other N types can ever decide they want to try and accept themselves as they are and work to be the best they can be as they are?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    So your logic here is that only ISP can come to the point where they want to accept themselves and work on being true to their own inner vision/voice?
    Uh, no.

"?" said that Sensing types are not prone to wanting to be other than they are. Nothing was said of whether Ns can attain this state of self-satisfaction; "?" just stated that Ss and especially ISPs are in that state by default.
    Last edited by Economica; 01-22-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: ISPs, not ISFPs.