User Tag List

123 Last

A Refuge or a Trap?

MBTI is a refuge for the chaotic and the depressed.

MBTI provides a structured way of thinking that is clung to as a drowning man clings to driftwood.

So MBTI helps the chaotic or depressed personality improve themselves by becoming an authoritarian personality with a ready-made way of thinking.

The authoritarian personality is an improvement on the chaotic or depressed personality, but in the struggle to move up from the chaotic personality, the authoritarian personality comes to hate the chaotic.

And unfortunately the authoritarian personality has yet to learn to distinguish between the chaotic and the creative. So the authoritarian personality hates both the chaotic and the creative.

So although MBTI provides a refuge from chaos and depression, it is at the price of creativity.

And as we move up from the literate, industrial society to the electronic, service society, creativity is becoming more and more valuable.

And MBTI will be seen less as a refuge and more as a trap.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

+1
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I look at it as more of a stepping stone on the path to self-discovery. At first, you're just clinging to anything you can find. Then you come across MBTI and use it to get closer to finding your true identity. But sooner or later three things happen:

1) You realize that MBTI is just a distorted perception of existence. It's your ego clinging to any identity it can sink its teeth into.

2) You manage to clear yourself of these distortions, and, ironically, discover your true identity when you let go of all your identities.

3) You realize that your true identity can loosely fall into MBTI categories, but fully realize that each identity remains unique, if similar.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Any tool can be abused. If kept in check with knowledge, experience, and common sense MBTI is a very useful tool.

I am tired of people who think they know everything they need to about human civilization because they took an MBTI test and read a bunch of half-assed type descriptions.

Also, stereotypes go really freaking crazy here sometimes.

Why should anyone's type matter with regard to how you interact with them as a person. I'd hate to live in a world where my MBTI type was tattooed on my forehead.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    MBTI is a refuge for the chaotic and the depressed.

MBTI provides a structured way of thinking that is clung to as a drowning man clings to driftwood.

So MBTI helps the chaotic or depressed personality improve themselves by becoming an authoritarian personality with a ready-made way of thinking.

The authoritarian personality is an improvement on the chaotic or depressed personality, but in the struggle to move up from the chaotic personality, the authoritarian personality comes to hate the chaotic.

And unfortunately the authoritarian personality has yet to learn to distinguish between the chaotic and the creative. So the authoritarian personality hates both the chaotic and the creative.

So although MBTI provides a refuge from chaos and depression, it is at the price of creativity.

And as we move up from the literate, industrial society to the electronic, service society, creativity is becoming more and more valuable.

And MBTI will be seen less as a refuge and more as a trap.
    Yes, creativity is becoming more important. Yes, MBTI helps bring a little bit more order to the chaos. However, it does not in any way, shape or form need to stifle creativity. In fact, on a day to day basis, creativity is not generally as valued in society as getting things done. By better understanding our unconscious tendencies, we grow to accept and embrace our individuality and uniqueness more. We better understand and appreciate the creative gifts we have or may tend to have. So MBTI can actually be liberating from the standpoint of creativity.

Let's take a concrete example - say Ni. The way to unleash the creativity and make it meaningful to the world is to find a way to communicate our perceptions to others. Typology is a tool to help us understand how to do this better.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I was fervently chasing an obnoxious little mouse around my room as he scampered back and forth from this corner to that. The little pest thought he had escaped the bludgeons of my broom when he ran into that sanctuary that we call "random hole in the wall."

Little did he know, however, that I was determined to keep him caged from the free life of scurrying around my house, so I placed a copy of Isabel's Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type in front of the hole, and now the little pest will never escape!!!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You forge your reality. If you make MBTI to be this way, it will be. If you make it to just be a tool, it will be that way.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI has worked wonders for me.
    By knowing that I now have blue eyes, despite seeing brown eyes when I look in the mirror, I have been set free.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I was fervently chasing an obnoxious little mouse around my room as he scampered back and forth from this corner to that. The little pest thought he had escaped the bludgeons of my broom when he ran into that sanctuary that we call "random hole in the wall."

Little did he know, however, that I was determined to keep him caged from the free life of scurrying around my house, so I placed a copy of Isabel's Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type in front of the hole, and now the little pest will never escape!!!
    As long as you have no other openings the size of a dime and it doesn't figure out a way to chew another hole (including through Gifts Differing), you should be in good shape.

Edit: Oh and I forgot. If you see one, odds are there are many more.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    MBTI has worked wonders for me.
    By knowing that I now have blue eyes, despite seeing brown eyes when I look in the mirror, I have been set free.

This test should prove to be very enlightening for you then. What number do you see?