• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Refuge or a Trap?

Mole

Permabanned
MBTI is a refuge for the chaotic and the depressed.

MBTI provides a structured way of thinking that is clung to as a drowning man clings to driftwood.

So MBTI helps the chaotic or depressed personality improve themselves by becoming an authoritarian personality with a ready-made way of thinking.

The authoritarian personality is an improvement on the chaotic or depressed personality, but in the struggle to move up from the chaotic personality, the authoritarian personality comes to hate the chaotic.

And unfortunately the authoritarian personality has yet to learn to distinguish between the chaotic and the creative. So the authoritarian personality hates both the chaotic and the creative.

So although MBTI provides a refuge from chaos and depression, it is at the price of creativity.

And as we move up from the literate, industrial society to the electronic, service society, creativity is becoming more and more valuable.

And MBTI will be seen less as a refuge and more as a trap.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I look at it as more of a stepping stone on the path to self-discovery. At first, you're just clinging to anything you can find. Then you come across MBTI and use it to get closer to finding your true identity. But sooner or later three things happen:

1) You realize that MBTI is just a distorted perception of existence. It's your ego clinging to any identity it can sink its teeth into.

2) You manage to clear yourself of these distortions, and, ironically, discover your true identity when you let go of all your identities.

3) You realize that your true identity can loosely fall into MBTI categories, but fully realize that each identity remains unique, if similar.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Any tool can be abused. If kept in check with knowledge, experience, and common sense MBTI is a very useful tool.

I am tired of people who think they know everything they need to about human civilization because they took an MBTI test and read a bunch of half-assed type descriptions. :thumbdown:

Also, stereotypes go really freaking crazy here sometimes.

Why should anyone's type matter with regard to how you interact with them as a person. I'd hate to live in a world where my MBTI type was tattooed on my forehead. :doh:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI is a refuge for the chaotic and the depressed.

MBTI provides a structured way of thinking that is clung to as a drowning man clings to driftwood.

So MBTI helps the chaotic or depressed personality improve themselves by becoming an authoritarian personality with a ready-made way of thinking.

The authoritarian personality is an improvement on the chaotic or depressed personality, but in the struggle to move up from the chaotic personality, the authoritarian personality comes to hate the chaotic.

And unfortunately the authoritarian personality has yet to learn to distinguish between the chaotic and the creative. So the authoritarian personality hates both the chaotic and the creative.

So although MBTI provides a refuge from chaos and depression, it is at the price of creativity.

And as we move up from the literate, industrial society to the electronic, service society, creativity is becoming more and more valuable.

And MBTI will be seen less as a refuge and more as a trap.

Yes, creativity is becoming more important. Yes, MBTI helps bring a little bit more order to the chaos. However, it does not in any way, shape or form need to stifle creativity. In fact, on a day to day basis, creativity is not generally as valued in society as getting things done. By better understanding our unconscious tendencies, we grow to accept and embrace our individuality and uniqueness more. We better understand and appreciate the creative gifts we have or may tend to have. So MBTI can actually be liberating from the standpoint of creativity.

Let's take a concrete example - say Ni. The way to unleash the creativity and make it meaningful to the world is to find a way to communicate our perceptions to others. Typology is a tool to help us understand how to do this better.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I was fervently chasing an obnoxious little mouse around my room as he scampered back and forth from this corner to that. The little pest thought he had escaped the bludgeons of my broom when he ran into that sanctuary that we call "random hole in the wall."

Little did he know, however, that I was determined to keep him caged from the free life of scurrying around my house, so I placed a copy of Isabel's Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type in front of the hole, and now the little pest will never escape!!!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You forge your reality. If you make MBTI to be this way, it will be. If you make it to just be a tool, it will be that way.

Jaguar

MBTI has worked wonders for me.
By knowing that I now have blue eyes, despite seeing brown eyes when I look in the mirror, I have been set free.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was fervently chasing an obnoxious little mouse around my room as he scampered back and forth from this corner to that. The little pest thought he had escaped the bludgeons of my broom when he ran into that sanctuary that we call "random hole in the wall."

Little did he know, however, that I was determined to keep him caged from the free life of scurrying around my house, so I placed a copy of Isabel's Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type in front of the hole, and now the little pest will never escape!!!

As long as you have no other openings the size of a dime and it doesn't figure out a way to chew another hole (including through Gifts Differing), you should be in good shape. :)

Edit: Oh and I forgot. If you see one, odds are there are many more.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
MBTI has worked wonders for me.
By knowing that I now have blue eyes, despite seeing brown eyes when I look in the mirror, I have been set free.

123547-004-AA43E59A.jpg

This test should prove to be very enlightening for you then. What number do you see?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
somehow the op seems like it could be construed as accusing all of us all of being depressed or chaotic :thumbdown:

not true, my good man... I'm not depressed and I'm just an EP, not chaotic!

MBTI is just a fun mental toy to play with- it shouldn't be used as a way to stereotype and belittle people (like when people used to stick the SJ label on people like a yellow star or something :dry:)

Nothing to take too seriously, but dude, no need to decide anyone who dabbles is mental! :)

S

Sniffles

Does Victor have some quota he needs to fufill of posts on this topic? :rolli:

G

Ginkgo

MBTI can be a refuge if you are David Keirsey and you live in a house.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll bite!

I see 74, but I can pretty easily see 71 too.

struggled with this one - my guess was 74 as well. The 7 was so confusing I thought it might be an 8 and the 4 looks a bit like like a 1.