User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 64

  1. #1
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Red face come watch solitary walker ruin a fun thread!!!

    I made a couple of friends take a MBTI test this evening since they were curious about WHAT I spend my time online doing and then discussed results a bit and I was wrong on two out of three counts

    At least I was right on the ESFJ- I could spot an ESFJ in a blizzard

    I was wrong about another friend, and ESFP instead of an ESTP (he IS even more expressive than me, and pouts more and such I guess- and lives to flirt!) and worse yet I mistyped my SO, just thinking he was a really anal retentive ISTP instead of a really J ISTJ

    How could I have failed so miserably

    Anyone else have similar stories to make me feel better about being wrong?
    Last edited by miss fortune; 02-24-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  2. #2
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    How did you come to your new conclusions? Did they take a test? Why do you doubt your ability to accurately type them! You're the one that's studied MBTT for the past 3 years.

  3. #3
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Yep. I was so sure that a friend at work was ESTP. She was competitive, funny... risk taking. Sporty. I actually wanted her to be this type.. made her an easy "playmate".

    When she took the test, ENFJ. In her private life.. obsessed with having everything tidy, planning. Her N was 91%.. and an easy understanding when talking to her was revealed for what it was N/N. I kind wanted her to be an S, so I could say there was at least one S who "gets me" in conversation.

  4. #4
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I mistyped my SO, just thinking he was a really anal retentive ISTP instead of a really J ISTJ


    People are complex. Depending upon where you meet them - at work or play - different traits are exhibited more strongly.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  5. #5
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    I've mistyped people, but I've also realized that some tests are crappy and some people don't see themselves objectively very well. Sometimes I trust my typing over their test results.

    An ENFJ friend often tests INxP - he's sooooo Fe though, but he has social anxiety that makes him think he is an introvert. My ISFJ mom tests ENFP, and even she says the test is probably not accurate. However, if their result is close to what I guessed, then I usually just chalk it up to my being wrong.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I made a couple of friends take a MBTI test this evening since they were curious about WHAT I spend my time online doing and then discussed results a bit and I was wrong on two out of three counts

    At least I was right on the ESFJ- I could spot an ESFJ in a blizzard

    I was wrong about another friend, and ESFP instead of an ESTP (he IS even more expressive than me, and pouts more and such I guess- and lives to flirt!) and worse yet I mistyped my SO, just thinking he was a really anal retentive ISTP instead of a really J ISTJ

    How could I have failed so miserably

    Anyone else have similar stories to make me feel better about being wrong?
    My wife gets on my ESTP cousin alot because he pouts and he is a girl magnet. The tertiary Fe and the Tertiary Te probably can easily confuse between F/T. Our tertiary is our next line of action since its in the same extroversion/introversion as our main function. Yes they can be sensitive.

    I know a few people who appear ISTP, but are ISTJ. Someone I know close to me from the outside could be considered an anal retentive P. He can be kinda emo to at times. I wont say who, but I know one person who just rolls their eyes at this Fi because he can and has been an ass alot of the times and has had major anger issues in the past.
    Im out, its been fun

  7. #7
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    How did you come to your new conclusions? Did they take a test? Why do you doubt your ability to accurately type them! You're the one that's studied MBTT for the past 3 years.
    I made them take the test and we all chatted about it a bit... somehow I overlooked glaringly obvious characteristics... like the fact that not only does my SO have his movie collection alphabetized, but he also has it catalogued in a computer database

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post


    People are complex. Depending upon where you meet them - at work or play - different traits are exhibited more strongly.
    yeah- I have hung out with them most at play I met them at work...

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I've mistyped people, but I've also realized that some tests are crappy and some people don't see themselves objectively very well. Sometimes I trust my typing over their test results.
    I was being oblivious somehow... it made so much sense when it was figured out that I felt like

    and to Geoff... Ss CAN understand you
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #8
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    I wouldn't bet that your experience is all that unusual -- there are a lot of people who are easy to misinterpret when it comes to MBTI (going to channel Victor here and say that it's not a repeatable scientific analysis anyway) -- it's not always easy to decide which type fits best for ourselves, much less someone who we see (even if closely and often) from our own external viewpoint.

    So it's not so much a failure as learning something new about people you're close to .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I made them take the test and we all chatted about it a bit... somehow I overlooked glaringly obvious characteristics... like the fact that not only does my SO have his movie collection alphabetized, but he also has it catalogued in a computer database
    My wife(ENFJ) alphabetized our movie collection , lol. Then when we get a new movie she has to go down the rack and move everything down so the new one fits in place. She wanted me to catalogue it because things keep coming up missing, but she decided to just hide it so people stop asking to borrow them. I was all prepared to create a wireless handheld barcode system and hand everyone an ID card. I enjoy the challenge of designing systems like this
    Im out, its been fun

  10. #10
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    lol... yeah, I've had to help with some large scale reorganizing before when another shelf was added to the living room before... and once was bribed to organize all of the series of star trek for him with promises of a trip to the casino

    he was busy making his movie database at the time

    we SHOULD get a barcode scanner and cards for friends who keep borrowing them though- brilliant! if you invent it, we'll buy it!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2016, 05:28 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 06:22 PM
  3. Could Popper have been ENTP?
    By Blackwater in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 11:45 AM
  4. How many fights have you been in?
    By JivinJeffJones in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 09:17 PM
  5. How could this have been determined?
    By Cindyrella in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 07:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO