• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oh no! how could I have been so wrong!!!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think he's an ISTJ who I'd hopefully thought would be more P (though I've got to say that I actually truly appreciate his J-ness!)

he makes lists, he makes plans, he arrives places promptly, he straightens pictures and pillows and even organizes his shirts by type, color and hangs them all the same direction in the closet :shock:

how could I not have noticed :doh: it's like living with Monk!

(oddly, I love it...)

and to Elaur, you're the smart one :yes:

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I made a couple of friends take a MBTI test this evening since they were curious about WHAT I spend my time online doing and then discussed results a bit and I was wrong on two out of three counts :boohoo:

At least I was right on the ESFJ- I could spot an ESFJ in a blizzard :D

I was wrong about another friend, and ESFP instead of an ESTP (he IS even more expressive than me, and pouts more and such I guess- and lives to flirt!) and worse yet I mistyped my SO, just thinking he was a really anal retentive ISTP instead of a really J ISTJ :doh:

How could I have failed so miserably :cry:

Anyone else have similar stories to make me feel better about being wrong? :cheese:

Oh, you've got to be kidding me! You used folk typology to learn about your friends and arrived at some very confusing, mutually exclusive and altogether ridiculous results! How unusual, how could this have happened!?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
shut up SW and go to a thread where your insults are asked for :tongue:

Jaguar

Fuck your folk typology. You sound like a broken record, Solitary Stalker.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't be so hard on yourself! You know, ESFP and ESTP aren't that far off...his expressiveness and flirtatiousness you're seeing could be manipulative tert Fe, not necessarily Fi.

Also, you're saying your SO is an "anal retentive" ISTP, which naturally equals ISTJ :cheese:. But seriously, the way you described him later in the post at the top of this page seems like a dead give away he's ISTJ. ;)

I think some people are harder to type than others. I was spot on about my friend and her husband, but actually had a very difficult time pinning down the type of my ex of 5 years. I think maybe if you're too close to someone (long term significant other) or too distanced (co-worker you don't know very well on a more personal level) it's harder than people who are kind of in the middle, like friends and family. Does that make any sense?

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
worse yet I mistyped my SO, just thinking he was a really anal retentive ISTP instead of a really J ISTJ :doh:

How could I have failed so miserably :cry:

:rofl1: You just didn't want to face the truth! :laugh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:blush: it's as bad as if someone somehow overlooked my huge P-ness and thought I was a J! :shock:

I'll agree that the middle distance is the easiest- I had a harder time with my sis and SO than anyone else, sadly enough :(

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fuck your folk typology. You sound like a broken record, Solitary Stalker.

It is a broken record as most of you can't get out of the habit of making folk typological inferences.

shut up SW and go to a thread where your insults are asked for :tongue:

Oh, this sure is the right thread for me. It is just begging for my input.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is a broken record as most of you can't get out of the habit of making folk typological inferences.

I'm sorry, but such input is not what this thread was started for. If you wish to bitch about "folk typology" there are plenty of other threads for that. Please keep such input there, where it is desired, as it is a very unwelcome intrusion in this thread.

if you have a story about an embarassingly off mistyping, you may share it. Otherwise, have a nice evening, goodbye :bye:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Oh, this sure is the right thread for me. It is just begging for my input.

Do you think, really? Do you think this site is the place for you if you're so vehemently opposed to "folk typology"? Because that's kind of what we do here. We're an informal church.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm shocked when anyone has a rate of success beyond 50%. I wouldn't just trust any old test, though, either.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think he's an ISTJ who I'd hopefully thought would be more P (though I've got to say that I actually truly appreciate his J-ness!)

he makes lists, he makes plans, he arrives places promptly, he straightens pictures and pillows and even organizes his shirts by type, color and hangs them all the same direction in the closet :shock:

how could I not have noticed :doh: it's like living with Monk!

(oddly, I love it...)

and to Elaur, you're the smart one :yes:

My wife is actually working on not doing these things or atleast limiting it. Her dad is an STJ and that is how he is. Down to making sure the spacing between each hanger is the same.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm shocked when anyone has a rate of success beyond 50%. I wouldn't just trust any old test, though, either.

I havnt had anyone verify their type and use it more as a personal understanding that changes and more tie together situations and understandings. I hink I do better with the last 3 letters. From what I read E/I is better to use first impression and J/P is best to determine after they have settled into things. The hard part though is that J/P can invert all the functions.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find it easiest to use the test as a springboard and then discuss the components with the person so that they understand things and can decide for themselves and you can both discuss how their behavior and thought patterns would fit in the scheme of things! :)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I find it easiest to use the test as a springboard and then discuss the components with the person so that they understand things and can decide for themselves and you can both discuss how their behavior and thought patterns would fit in the scheme of things! :)

Exactly. We all know everyone loves talking about themselves. What better than their own special personality type.

G

garbage

Oh, you've got to be kidding me! You used folk typology to learn about your friends and arrived at some very confusing, mutually exclusive and altogether ridiculous results! How unusual, how could this have happened!?

Yeah, man!! How terrible!! What a terrible thing to have happened. Oh, no! Ridiculous!

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
if you have a story about an embarassingly off mistyping, you may share it. Otherwise, have a nice evening, goodbye :bye:

Lets see, what story do I have about an embarrassing mistyping? I had a pseudo-intellectual philosophy major help me write my first book and at times we discussed my project to come, the Principles of Typology. He once told me that everyone is an ENFP because they all seem just like him. To this person's mind, every person has a jovial, upbeat as well as attention seeking nature and they must therefore be all ENFPs. I don't know why he assumed that if a person is jovial, upbeat and attention seeking, he must be an ENFP; but nonetheless, this is what he did.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I imagine Solitarywalker with curlers in his hair, in a pink bathrobe, waving his cane at small children passing by his home, and growling, "Stop using folk typology, you whipper-snappers!".:azdaja:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Hi, Whatevs! I was just wondering if you thought much about his functions. My husband tested INTJ at first because he uses a lot of N for his work, yet he didn't jive as an INTJ. It wasn't until I started looking at functions that I knew, and know, without a doubt (mostly) that he is ISTP. This is because he used Ti all the time, followed by Se. ISTJs are very different really, because they would use Si, followed by Te. Si is a tricky function to identify, but Si people won't notice quite as much around them as Se-ers, in my experience, and what they do notice they will run through a subjective list of catalogued memories relating to the theme of the object they are regarding. Se will just notice everything, but more objectively.