• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Borderline types?

Ardent15

MBTI Type
INTP
Are there a lot of people who are just on the border of being T or F, S or N, J or P, and/or I and E?

How do you type them?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I look at it like this. I am almost borderline T/F.

Te---------*---o-------------Fe

I am (supposedly) borderline P/J

Ni---------*---o-------------Ne

Te-----------*-o-------------Ti

The question is can the introverted and extraverted of the same preference be an analog line of what one can be or is it digital (black and white)?

If it is indeed digital than I am wrong and the P and J function cannot be borderline at all in which 'some' people tend to go by (not saying names).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
borderline on S/N... test either N or borderline :)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Are there a lot of people who are just on the border of being T or F, S or N, J or P, and/or I and E?

How do you type them?

There is no such thing.

You aren't a certain degree T or F, I or E.

You have a function order.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is no such thing.

You aren't a certain degree T or F, I or E.

You have a function order.

Question - Does this assume you are applying the function-attitudes type theory or do you suggest this also applies for MBTI or Keirsey's theory?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I think the most common "borderline" letter is E/I. This may be in part due to the fact that the usage of extroversion/introversion in a typological sense does not necessarily correspond to the traditional definitions of extroversion/introversion, so we have trouble truly discerning the difference and thus waffle back and fourth in self-analysis. Also, E/I causes the smallest change in your function combination, so it is probably easiest for something like an ENTP to mistype him/herself as an INTP.

I'd say that Exxx types most closely resemble their Ixxx cousins, for the most part. I think the way to tell the difference is by figuring out which function you can "turn off" so to speak. It seems like our dominant functions govern us in such a way that we fail to even notice them. They are just such an essential part of our being that the constant poke in our cognition becomes no more noticeable than our own heartbeat.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Alright here. I made this to help explain the two views functions are seen in.

Analogue View

Picture4.png
Picture3.png

This works as it indicates you can't be Ni without Se or Ne without Si. Same with Te/Fi and Fe/Ti.
It gives an understanding to the functions and MBTI types in an easy fashion.

What I believe myself to be.
Picture2.png
Picture5.png

Digital View
The digital view looks at it in the black and white.

The functions have an order. There is no in-between solution of the function.

It is not this:

Picture7.png

It is this:

Picture6.png

There is no in-between

To be honest I think the analogue view is the right way to look at it because it seems to work better with understanding those who say they are borderline which is non-existent in the digital view.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The ones who are borderline to the system are the ones who would know it sucks. There are several ways to go from here: one is to create a new system that will most probably suck again. One is to dwell on it and get stuck with it.

One is for sure tho, the sentence "There is no-between" can eat my nuts

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
The ones who are borderline to the system are the ones who would know it sucks. There are several ways to go from here: one is to create a new system that will most probably suck again. One is to dwell on it and get stuck with it.

One is for sure tho, the sentence "There is no-between" can eat my nuts

How did I miss this thread?

No, I don't feel the need to create a new system, per se. I think it works if you just use the charts of all the types you're borderline on simultaneously, understanding that there are going to be inconsistencies in function strength, fluctuating between the function positions of the types you border on depending on the situation. I also think that the more first and possibly second position functions that you have, the more precise the kind of information you're attracted to is. I experience this myself, and it makes sense that if you don't appeal to multiple leading and/or creative processes simultaneously they end up getting in each other's way and limiting your sense of gratification from the information. Another thing I've noticed about being an IXFX is that I have a poor sense of external reality- I understand pretty strictly by means of an internal map/rationalizing things, rather than through direct observation. (Orienting) I think this may have something to do with the fact that all of my introverted functions are ahead of their extroverted counterparts in my mental loop:

Fi Se Ni Te
Fi Ne Si Te
Si Fe Ti Ne
Ni Fe Ti Se

That, the fact that I'm also extremely F, and observations of other X types I know makes me also think that the more Xs you have, the more pronounced your other preferences are going to be.