First 1234 Last

Thread: Folk Typology

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Why are you resurrecting an old thread with a link quite irrelevant?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Why are you resurrecting an old thread with a link quite irrelevant?
    Who cares? It was an awesome thread.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Indeed. The thread is quite fantastic and I'm quite glad it was resurrected though unfortunately without the presence of solitarywalker and ericb to further their thoughts about it. I was simply curious about dimane's actions of posting in it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Indeed. The thread is quite fantastic and I'm quite glad it was resurrected though unfortunately without the presence of solitarywalker and ericb to further their thoughts about it. I was simply curious about dimane's actions of posting in it.
    I miss @edcoaching. EricB is around. SW - no idea there.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I miss @edcoaching. EricB is around. SW - no idea there.
    Ah I see. Well it would most certainly be interesting to witness how others may reply to the thread at current moment in difference to the time of the thread itself. Hmmm... food for thought.
    Perhaps EricB will post extra thoughts about the topic now.

So what did you learn about typology from this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    For example, instead of asserting that Fe makes one display emotion, we should maintain that Fe is merely a tendency to activate one's emotive faculties in response to external stimulation rather than internal. As a result, in the context of the Western culture, people of this type are often inclined to develop personality features associated with being highly emotionally expressive. I am not suggesting that the entire enterprise of drawing connections between Jungian type and personality theory should be abandoned, but rather that typological entities should be interpreted as cognitive tendencies rather than ineradicable behavioral habits.
    Ugh, Fe is more than 'activating emotive faculties' though. There are intelligent ways of using emotions and then there are just displays of emotion; the former is a process and the latter is basic to being human. Your reasoning doesn't describe the difference at all.

I wrote this on another forum and although I don't like the idea of anyone knowing my identity elsewhere, this should help be a basis for being constructive for once:

Fe
    Sharing intimacy, mostly; Fe seems to represent the act of sharing intimacy. The values of a person are exerted on others and shared, creating new boundaries on how individual people treat each other inside a group; but these boundaries would be implicit (unconscious Ti probably).
    Important thing to note is that Fe users adapt and use their intimate behavior on other people to an extent that allows them to impress or maintain certain values on those other people. Ti would be part of the unconscious structure or influence to that intelligence; emotion is just a shallow side effect of the real intelligence involved in this process and you're thoughts on the theory seem very shallow.

Anyone have anything constructive to say about this at all, though? since I'm not here to talk to myself.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    So what did you learn about typology from this thread?
    At the very least, it's a helpful reminder of how difficult it is to predict behavior as a function of type.

Is an Fi user more likely than a Ti user to prefer his fries with ketchup? What if Fi/Ti were in the inferior position; does the answer change??

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I'm still here, of course. The discussion didn't go quite as far as I'd hoped, but then I didn't really expect it to, with Solitary. He did give an answer, which I responded to, and then dropped out altogether. (Which wasn't surprising).
    It seemed at that time, he was becoming increasingly frustrated with this thing he was calling "folk typology" (hence, my raising the topic in the first place. proteanmix is another one who seemed to get frustrated about that around the same time, and then just disappeared, for the most part).

I guess I was just hoping that my ideas were not being seen as among the culprits. But whatever; I was evolving my ideas, and had continued to glean further understanding from the original Jungian underpinning (such as going back to the four natural functions and understanding the eight function-attitudes in light of them, rather than as eight "skills-sets", which I believe was part of the problem with this "folk" understanding of typology. Now, from my debates with INTP/Naama, I'm incorporating Jung's notion of functions operating in a loop, starting with the subject or object, going to the opposite orientation, and flowing back to the starting one. This to me further explains the difference between the attitudes, and how the complexes can "turn up the volume" on the opposite side of the function, and essentially change its orientation; hence the "shadows").
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas