User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 48

  1. #1
    Senior Member MerkW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    534

    Question The INTPCentral Question

    After having read posts on INTPc many times (though I dislike INTPc), a question has come to mind:
    Is it just me, or do many many of the members believe that they are INTPs when they are, in fact, another type? For some reason, so many so-called "INTPs" on INTPc actually seem far more ISTP, ENTP, INTJ, INFP, and even types such as ESTP. Am I wrong in this assumption? Is there any particular reason why so many members do not seem very INTP?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

    "Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

    INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

  2. #2
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Because there is some anti non INTP sentiment there and people generally just want to fit in so it's easy for them to imagine they are a type that they really aren't.

  3. #3
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    After having read posts on INTPc many times (though I dislike INTPc), a question has come to mind:
    Is it just me, or do many many of the members believe that they are INTPs when they are, in fact, another type? For some reason, so many so-called "INTPs" on INTPc actually seem far more ISTP, ENTP, INTJ, INFP, and even types such as ESTP. Am I wrong in this assumption? Is there any particular reason why so many members do not seem very INTP?
    None of them want to admit to being non-INTP's for fear of being ostracized.

    I think the most common non-INTP types on that site are ISTP's and INTJ's, although there might be a few INFx's as well. ENTP's generally show up openly, and I doubt there are many ESTP's.

  4. #4
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,910

    Default

    There could be some fakers, but I don't think that's the majority.

    What's actually going on here is an illusion, as a result of the fact that it's a one type community.
    When the place is filled with one type, people start filling-in the gaps and taking on the rules of other types.
    This is further enhanced by contrast, because on a forum full of INTPs, the difference between each one becomes much more apparent.

    Even in same type relationships, I believe partners start taking on counter balancing rules.

    an INTP-INTP relationship might look like an ENFP-ISTJ relationship, because the two start sinking into the different demands of the relationship, and by contrast, look very different from each other.
    Obviously, it's not that extreme, but you get the idea.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  5. #5
    Senior Member nottaprettygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Why is this called an "INTPCentral Question" when it could be called an "MBTICentral Question"? People mistype themselves all of the time.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There could be some fakers, but I don't think that's the majority.

    What's actually going on here is an illusion, as a result of the fact that it's a one type community.
    When the place is filled with one type, people start filling-in the gaps and taking on the rules of other types.
    This is further enhanced by contrast, because on a forum full of INTPs, the difference between each one becomes much more apparent.

    Even in same type relationships, I believe partners start taking on counter balancing rules.

    an INTP-INTP relationship might look like an ENFP-ISTJ relationship, because the two start sinking into the different demands of the relationship, and by contrast, look very different from each other.
    Obviously, it's not that extreme, but you get the idea.
    This is well put, although there are a few things I might not agree on entirely... I'd also add in the possibility that type is a gradient to top it all off.

    The emphasis is that behaviourally we are all pushed towards acting a certain way - type doesn't matter. We all have the same basic building blocks in our mind and type only touches on the surface most "unconcious" functions (ie: sexual drive, fear, etc are much deeper).

    Either way, the best point is that our views are relative to the sample group. The differences are magnified as the sub-group gets smaller and smaller.

  7. #7
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,910

    Default

    I find one type communities fascinating in a ghastly way.
    They always suck, but they are quite the bizarre social experiment.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #8
    Senior Member MerkW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Why is this called an "INTPCentral Question" when it could be called an "MBTICentral Question"? People mistype themselves all of the time.
    I call it the "INTPCentral Question" because I am referring specifically to INTPCentral, quite clearly. Yes, many people mistype themselves, but INTPCentral is the most notable example I have seen. INTJForum, for instance, doesn't really seem to have a nearly high ratio of mistyped members/members in total.

    But, yes, these answers correspond with what I had in mind. I actually didn't consider the "ENFP/ISTJ" example from Magic Poriferan, though.

    What puzzles me though is the sheer multitude of possible mistypings. Of course, some members, like Haight, appear to be clear-cut INTPs, yet many others quite the contrary. With mistypings to fit in the INTPCentral community aside, is it possible that many of these members have created online personae completely or somewhat different from their true character?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

    "Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

    INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

  9. #9
    Senior Member htb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Is it just me, or do many many of the members believe that they are INTPs when they are, in fact, another type?
    It's not you. During my time on that forum I noticed only a few who actually corresponded to text communication and forum behavior of known and confirmed INTPs.

    Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Why is this called an "INTPCentral Question" when it could be called an "MBTICentral Question"?
    Because more than about 5 percent of MBTICentral's participants are accurately typed.

  10. #10
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Because there is some anti non INTP sentiment there and people generally just want to fit in so it's easy for them to imagine they are a type that they really aren't.
    I disagree (with the wanting to fit in, not with the anti-non-INTP sentiment), I think most of them think they are INTP. A lazy INTJ, an antisocial/shy ENTP, or a smart ISTP, or just a confused person might test as INTP. (Disclaimer: I'm not necessary saying that INTJs are not lazy, that ISTPs are not smart, or that INTPs are lazy or smart...etc)

    I thought I was INTP for the time I was there. INTP often seems to be accepted as a description by people who feel misunderstood and underappreciated, even those who aren't necessarily INTPs.

Similar Threads

  1. Can we learn to ask the Big Questions?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 06:04 AM
  2. The Ayers Question: Sucker Move?
    By Totenkindly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 11:56 PM
  3. The Ultimate Question
    By RansomedbyFire in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO