User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I haven't been on INTPc much over the last few months. (I've been mostly bored with the conversation, honestly.)

I think most of the people are adequately typed. I think because of the medium there is simply a preponderance of 20-something INTPs who have never yet found a place where they feel at home. The behavior seems typical for people in that stage of development. [There are some older members who are better rounded and more emotionally mature.]

Eventually, hopefully, instead of fortifying themselves in, they will continue on their growth path and learn to accept the parts of themselves they do not like. It's just difficult because many of those parts (such as values and/or emotions) are the parts that others have expressed when abusing them or contributing to them feelings of inadequacy/difference. They need to pull away from those things first, to get a "core self," then learn to embrace them later. So INTPc serves a valuable role in that maturation process. I see all the "mistype" complaints here to be mostly exaggeration. (50%? Please -- give me a break! The descriptions here of IxTPs is yet one *more* large bias.)

I think a worse problem is the group-thought, where people feel compelled to fit a stereotype of what INTPs are "supposed to be." Because otherwise they'll lose their member's ID card and feel like they've been ostracized once more... and NOW where will they go? There are a few notorious people I wonder about.

But honestly, who even cares? People are who they are. We are not our type. Type is simply a paradigm used to explore the self and others. If they're mistyped, most of the time that has no real impact on anything, and they will figure it out eventually. I don't really see any more mistypes over THERE than I do over HERE to be honest.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think a worse problem is the group-thought, where people feel compelled to fit a stereotype of what INTPs are "supposed to be." Because otherwise they'll lose their member's ID card and feel like they've been ostracized once more... and NOW where will they go? There are a few notorious people I wonder about.
    Very well said.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Based on language usage and interaction style, possibly upwards of 50 percent. INTP forums are social incarnations of Wikipedia, ISTP forums are monkeyhouses, and INTPCentral inclines strongly towards the latter.
    I can see that.
    Nice analogy though with Wikipedia. I think I found the most NT like place on the internet and it's a nerds forum XtremeSystems Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Btw why did I get a Z? Was it THAT bad?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Zhander View Post
    Btw why did I get a Z? Was it THAT bad?
    Heh! Errant keystroke. Or was it phonetic? I'm typing with a cat cradled in my arms right now, for what it's worth.

I think I found the most NT like place on the internet and it's a nerds forum XtremeSystems Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    Interesting. Another example would be the 3dB forums; at least a combination of INTPs and ISFPs. Very erudite, very calm.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I haven't been on INTPc much over the last few months. (I've been mostly bored with the conversation, honestly.)

I think most of the people are adequately typed. I think because of the medium there is simply a preponderance of 20-something INTPs who have never yet found a place where they feel at home. The behavior seems typical for people in that stage of development. [There are some older members who are better rounded and more emotionally mature.]
    Yeah, they're still trying themselves on to see what fits, etc. Most of the time, the only ones that worry me are the ones who make it into their late 20s and older still acting like that. Maybe I'm semi-tolerant of it because I spent my twenties with a twenty-something INTP.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Heh! Errant keystroke. Or was it phonetic? I'm typing with a cat cradled in my arms right now, for what it's worth.
    Nuff said really

Especially if it's like the one we seem to have attracted. Ie large, fluffy and with a prepensity to just flop over when it wants a belly rub.
    Interesting. Another example would be the 3dB forums; at least a combination of INTPs and ISFPs. Very erudite, very calm.
    It seems that technical subjects draw us out like moths to a flame
    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Yeah, they're still trying themselves on to see what fits, etc. Most of the time, the only ones that worry me are the ones who make it into their late 20s and older still acting like that. Maybe I'm semi-tolerant of it because I spent my twenties with a twenty-something INTP.
    Hey I've been a twenty something INTP for more than ten years now and I'm not THAT bad!!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Same here. I don't think the monkeyhouse element means that they're really ISTPs- they're just young, errant INTPs. For whom I have a soft spot, evidently.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

But honestly, who even cares? People are who they are. We are not our type. Type is simply a paradigm used to explore the self and others. If they're mistyped, most of the time that has no real impact on anything, and they will figure it out eventually. I don't really see any more mistypes over THERE than I do over HERE to be honest.
    Thank you! Finally! I have wanted to say something similar for a few weeks now and just couldn't find the words. Leave it to you and your excellent writing abilities!

I also want to add that I am really becoming annoyed with the "Well if you're and INFJ then I don't like you." I think people who believe that should take more time to discover who they really are, instead of wasting their energy on such silliness. Every type has pros and cons. For example I wish I were more SJ these days to help organize our family.

These days I feel more "P" lately than "J". I am overwhelmed and always late for appointments. I need someone competent to analyze me. Where's Toonia?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Hey I've been a twenty something INTP for more than ten years now and I'm not THAT bad!!

You're going to have to teach me that new math. Forty's starting to loom uncomfortably close around here.

Don wasn't that bad, either, but he and I got together pretty young and that first experience of being in a relationship seems to be a big factor in softening them up.

He still used to get in some mighty heated theological debates in Bible College, though. Sometimes to the point of making me very uncomfortable observing it and he also loved stirring crap up in preaching class by preaching stuff he knew was controversial, but well-backed up with scripture.

God only knows how he would have behaved on an internet forum if we'd had ready access to them back then.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

You're going to have to teach me that new math. Forty's starting to loom uncomfortably close around here.

Don wasn't that bad, either, but he and I got together pretty young and that first experience of being in a relationship seems to be a big factor in softening them up.

He still used to get in some mighty heated theological debates in Bible College, though. Sometimes to the point of making me very uncomfortable observing it and he also loved stirring crap up in preaching class by preaching stuff he knew was controversial, but well-backed up with scripture.

God only knows how he would have behaved on an internet forum if we'd had ready access to them back then.
    Way back then in the mists of time? You sound like you're feeling old more than being old! Damn it woman feeling young is all about being stupid. I make it a rule not to over correct stupidity. Especially my own.

Oh and I do know of one person who has only just turned 24 after being 23 for about thirty years so I'm by no means an extremist.

Never grow up, never surrender. Oh and don't let those serving drinks in public houses get you down.