User Tag List

MBTI
    LoLz

Default Ti, Fi, and Music

I've been confused my entire life on how people interpret music differently. I see so many criticisms of music based on how its created, how it works, how it stands in relation to other music, or how well it fits the baseline of how music should be. For instance, I love a lot of Teen pop. I'm into Hilary Duff, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, etc. People will critique it and be like, "Oh, they can't sing, or their music isn't music." I just don't get that.

I'm not trying to say other people are wrong, but is it that I solely rely on Fi to tell me what music is good and what is bad? I just go based on how music makes me feel and think. When the right music is on, I can feel the music inside of me, as if the music is playing inside of my chest, taking control of me and throwing me into extreme pleasure. Isn't that Fi?

Apparently this is a quote attributed to Einstein, which I really identified with:

Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
    "If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music... I do know that that I get most joy in life out of my violin."
    Probably a combination of Introverted Judgement and Extraverted Perception? Tom Cruise explains it perfectly at the beginning of this scene:

[youtube=NcTu8sbx1zg].[/youtube]

"It's off melody. Behind the notes. Not what's expected. Improvising, like tonight."
    Hello

MBTI
    INTJ

Wouldn't you need both an perception and judgement function when it comes to music?

For example, I'd could hear a new Brittney Spears song , and to me, since it sounds just like every other pop song, and since every other pop song is garbage, then this too is refuse. (Si/Te)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

no. it isnt Fi raz. remember, skill sets and "actions" are not Fi (so listening to music as a physical action, isnt Fi). However, your refusal to pay attention to the consequences of listening to teen pop (ridicule, loss of popularity, loss of having music in common etc) all sound like Fi.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    no. it isnt Fi raz. remember, skill sets and "actions" are not Fi (so listening to music as a physical action, isnt Fi). However, your refusal to pay attention to the consequences of listening to teen pop (ridicule, loss of popularity, loss of having music in common etc) all sound like Fi.
    Making a decision based on what feels good isn't Fi?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    no raz....do you think ESTPs dont ever make decisions based on what feels good?

Here is Fi:

Introverted Feeling (Fi) makes sense of the world by relating everything to universal human needs and callings. For example, understanding the actions of a bully as the expression of an unmet need to be connected and feel important. Understanding that, we can see the bully without judgement: we can see him as a living being not so different from ourselves, seeking to fulfill his needs just as we do, but in a way that creates unnecessary conflict. As an epistemological perspective, Fi leads you to take whatever a person thinks or believes as an expression of that person's unique nature--not to criticize it because it fails to live up to some externally imposed criteria like whether or not it's "logical" or "appropriate". As an ethical perspective, Fi leads you to act out of empathy regardless of the social status or "deservingness" of the beneficiary. Fi leads you to view all living things as equal in value, all needing to thrive in interpersonal harmony without giving up any of their uniqueness.
    your OP displayed Fi, but not in the place you think it did

MBTI
    I
    Nah, I don't believe that is Fi.

MBTI
    xxxx

I'm a Ti user and I've never been much a fan of music. I'm a visual person. I enjoy music by seeing the sheet music and hearing bits and pieces of it.

</unrelated note>
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    No
    Remember that Fi is a rational function, so reasoning is a part of the process. It's NOT simply emotional reaction. Although, tertiary Fi is probably a lot more "childish" and "frivolous" than Fi-dom. I know my tertiary Si is that way, but I wouldn't judge a Si-dom's Si usage based on it.

Trying to explain your music taste with functions is
    Although, I have noticed that INFPs tends to be music snobs, or prefer less mainstream music. Not sure about ISFPs.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe