User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 106

  1. #81
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Sorry. You're clearly a female INFJ who decided to see what being a dude was like. Since the ENTP is the compliment, it's clear that's the persona you decided to take.

    I apologize for not realizing it before. Mea culpa.
    I'm a female? Sweet, I'm gonna go sell my body on the street and then get an abortion! Girl power!

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Wow. Why the hell do simulatedworld and Jaguar shit up threads constantly? I think that this forum would be a better place if they didn't do that. Jaguar is obviously never going to answer him straight and will continue trolling him, and simulatedworld will obviously keep arguing just because it's a game to him.
    The worst possible consequence of thread clutter is you having to spend a couple extra seconds scrolling down a web page. Somehow I don't understand why this is so catastrophic.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  2. #82
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Two Point Two View Post
    To the OP:

    I'm not sure about this. I don't think Te automatically takes systems to be normative. Te can be about systems of 'rules to follow', but it can also be about finding and acknowledging structure that's already there. Analysis isn't uniquely the domain of Ti.

    That said, there may be some truth in it - for example, if someone thinks they're INFP but that they use a lot of Ni, and someone else tells them that they aren't using Ni because they're an INFP, or that it's unhealthy for them to do so and they should work on changing it, then I'd say that's a normative and inappropriate application of the system. But that's not a flaw in the system, it's a flaw in someone's use of it. But then, maybe this is a Te perspective and a Ti user can point out where I've gone wrong - I don't know.
    I actually interestingly enough think that there are some normative properties to MBTI. Perhaps I'll start another thread. In short, even the MBTI practitioner who used to post here said it once (he/shes INFJ i think). Un-differentiation is not the goal of MBTI. People who are undifferenitiated (XXXX) are not "healthier" according MBTI.


    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Sorry. You're clearly a female INFJ who decided to see what being a dude was like. Since the ENTP is the compliment, it's clear that's the persona you decided to take.

    I apologize for not realizing it before. Mea culpa.

  3. #83
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    Introverted Thinking (Ti) As an epistemological perspective, Ti leads one to trust only things that you understand first-hand for yourself, preferably through direct, hands-on interaction. You must see for yourself how a given thing or subject makes sense. Knowledge must emerge from the concrete reality itself, not from preconceived categories or criteria, and the search for knowledge must follow wherever logic and the subject matter lead, regardless of how people feel about it.
    Massive resonance on that one.

    I am having so many crapfights with family right now because they're using other ways to define truth... but what you described above is how I need to approach it or it's not real to me.

    ps. Whassup with the rest of this thread? It's hard to unentangle jabs and pokes with the serious interwoven commentary... what a conundrum.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #84
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Massive resonance on that one.

    I am having so many crapfights with family right now because they're using other ways to define truth... but what you described above is how I need to approach it or it's not real to me.

    ps. Whassup with the rest of this thread? It's hard to unentangle jabs and pokes with the serious interwoven commentary... what a conundrum.
    Yup. It doesn't exist unless we understand the underlying logic. Which strangely enough, is why so many of us are into math, but still don't quite trust it - the a priori principles are too ineffable. I don't think I'm being presumptuous when I say that Ti users generally think if you understand numbers, you essentially understand the essence of God.

  5. #85
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Yup. It doesn't exist unless we understand the underlying logic. Which strangely enough, is why so many of us are into math, but still don't quite trust it - the a priori principles are too ineffable. I don't think I'm being presumptuous when I say that Ti users generally think if you understand numbers, you essentially understand the essence of God.
    Math is considered the "universal language." It describes principles of tangible reality that transcend language, culture, politics, and religion.

    Equations are broad derived principles that describe portions of reality. If you know the equation(s), you can predict what happens within the system.

    Ti naturally "models" things.

    In that sense, if God is assumed as a primary creator, Ti is almost like a "re-creator" -- developing more and more complex models that capture the essence of reality in an understandable or at least predictable fashion.

    Which leads me to say that yes -- once you have the equations, you have the mind of "God."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Massive resonance on that one.

    I am having so many crapfights with family right now because they're using other ways to define truth... but what you described above is how I need to approach it or it's not real to me.

    ps. Whassup with the rest of this thread? It's hard to unentangle jabs and pokes with the serious interwoven commentary... what a conundrum.
    I agree with the massive resonance. You cant possibly steer a Ti dom with your perception all you can do is give it to us and we will decide what we think of it. No matter what type of degree someone has or how much someone else thinks this person is an expert of something, I will judge on my own if you make sense and really I will do this with everything you say. I will follow your perceptions, judgements, etc. and when I do this I experience firsthand and the result is what allows me to trust it. I dont hold Lenore as some personality god, I take what she has to say and judge how well it fits with my perception and I have no qualms going against it even though she knows much more then I do about it, but I am not gonna discredit everything because it doesnt fit 100%, I simply discredit parts that I dont see and take in parts that I do. Its a matter of knowing what to discard and what not to discard.

    I may trust some bum off the street more then a college professor if he makes more logical sense then the professor. To me professors as people can be steered in what they believe, so are they teaching what they believe or what others have made them believe. You know how many people believed Pluto was a planet because they were taught that even though they didnt know what defined a planet(I honestly care less either way so I never looked into what defined a planet, just an example). Because of who I am and what I do, I realize how easy it is to steer someone to logically believe something. Its nice when someone can take my logic, analyze it and not always take it as truth even if it makes perfect logical sense, but a guess or a belief and see how it fits with their perception, then openly discuss. Its like perception swapping and we judge internally what we trust and what we dont.

    Its frustrating when someone takes my logic tries to use it and comes back and judges me based on it. I prefer to have the results of what I do judged as opposed to my thought process. I try to take everyones perception into consideration and judge it myself internally. Because of people like this is why some of us use "IMHO" because we are presumptious, we know we may not be correct, we have an internal idea of how correct we are. This internal idea of how correct we are is used when we take MBTI into consideration so we dont hold it as a golden rule that is truth and we dont judge it all based on some inaccuracies.

    So what functions does what I just wrote sound like? Curious as how things come across externally, especially online as most of this explaining doesnt come out IRL.
    Im out, its been fun

  7. #87
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Math is considered the "universal language." It describes principles of tangible reality that transcend language, culture, politics, and religion.

    Equations are broad derived principles that describe portions of reality. If you know the equation(s), you can predict what happens within the system.

    Ti naturally "models" things.

    In that sense, if God is assumed as a primary creator, Ti is almost like a "re-creator" -- developing more and more complex models that capture the essence of reality in an understandable or at least predictable fashion.

    Which leads me to say that yes -- once you have the equations, you have the mind of "God."
    You're talking to the guy who thinks the Romans got it right when worshipping Fortuna. If there is some sort of deity, its will is expressed through probability.

  8. #88
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ps. Whassup with the rest of this thread? It's hard to unentangle jabs and pokes with the serious interwoven commentary... what a conundrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I still think he's a dumbass.
    it's not that hard to differentiate...



    [that's a Ti joke by the way dudes. with the provided information, it's internally consistent. but if i were to bring more information into the 'equation' Ti would compel me to retroactively assess the situation and reconfigure, if not completely overhaul my conclusion.]
    we fukin won boys

  9. #89
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    My only objection to a lot of functions theory is that, while I'm not an empiricist, the "essence" has to have some effect on the "appearance" and be obervable as a tendency, or else the only thing to go by when choosing between two "internally coherent" logical system, is, erm, blind faith.

    I think you can't have either a philosophical theory seperate from empirical evidence, nor can empirical evidence be understood without an overarching philosophical "narrative".
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  10. #90
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    OK, So I was thinking about how some Extraverted Thinkers on this forum seem to have a major problem with what the MBTI is, and I had a thought that I felt like sharing:

    Extraverted Thinkers (being the Extraverted Thinkers they are) automatically think of systems as external rules and procedures to follow - and so some look at the MBTI and assume that this system is telling people how they should be acting. These are rules that are meant to "enlighten" people to the correct way they should be living their lives - what a horrible, soul-destroying thought that must be! INFPs must have it the worst - not only it is telling people how they should act, it's even assuming that it can categorise billions and billions of unique individuals into 16 categories of thought and behaviour!

    Introverted Thinkers probably see it differently - this isn't telling you how you should be acting, it's an attempt at observing and describing an ongoing process. It's not an external ruleset, it's an internal ruleset - an attempt to understand what is being perceived. So the author isn't really telling you what to do and how to live, the author is telling what they've learned from observation - "the spectator sees more of the game" and all that.

    Does this ring true at all? Or am I just talking bollocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    INFP = INTROVERT.

    dumbass
    Epic T-fail!

Similar Threads

  1. [Ti] Ti, inconsistency, and turning people into systems
    By CitizenErased in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-08-2017, 01:24 AM
  2. Ti/Te use and ideology
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 09:17 AM
  3. People that are strong in Ni,Ti,Te and Ne
    By Virtual ghost in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
  4. [JCF] Ti/Te and Math
    By Eric B in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 03:27 PM
  5. Ti's and Te's and Trees
    By labyrinthine in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO