User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Default Observer's Descriptions of the Four Dichotomies in Men and Women

The following are from Portaits of Type by Avril Thorne & Harrison Gough, 1999, pp 49-57

It's about a study in which they had observers describe people using adjectives (from Interviewer's Check List and and the Adjective Check List) and items on the California Q-Set, and then correlated the responses with the four dichotomy preferences and gender of the subjects.

The top ten adjectives and top five Q-Set items are listed below. I have underlined the items that differ according the subject's gender.

E/I

Introverted Males: aloof, cautious, inhibited, quiet, reserved, retiring, serious, shy, silent, withdrawn

16. Is introspective and concerned with self as an object
    25. Tends toward over-control of needs and impulses; binds tensions excessively; delays gratification unnecessarily
    48. Keeps people at a distance; avoids close interpersonal relationships
    51. Genuinely values intellection and cognitive matters
    80. Tends to ruminate and have persistent, preoccupying thoughts

Introverted Females: aloof, inhibited, painstaking, quiet, reserved, retiring, rigid, shy, silent, withdrawn

12. Tends to be self-defensive
    22. Feels a lack of personal meaning in life.
    42. Reluctant to commit self to any definite course of action; tends to delay or avoid action
    48. Keeps peope at a distance; avoids close interpersonal relationships
    68. Is basically anxious

Extraverted Males: active, cheerful, energetic, enthusiastic, jolly, outgoing, pleasure-seeking, sociable, spontaneous, warm

4. Is a talkative individual
    18. Initiates Humor
    52. Behaves in an assertive fashion
    54. Emphasizes being with others; gregarious
    99. Is self-dramatizing; histrionic

Extraverted Females: active, cheerful, energetic, ethusiastic, good-natured, initiative, optimistic, outgoing, sociable, talkative

52. Behaves in an assertive fashion
    54. Emphasizes being with others; gregarious
    56. Responds to humor
    92. Has social poise and presence; appears socially at ease
    98. Is verbally fluent and can express ideas well

S/N

Intuitive Males: artistic, complicated, imaginative, ingenious, inventive, original, rebellious, sensitive, temperamental, unconventional

39. Thinks and associates to ideas in unusual ways; has unconventional thought processes
    50. Is unpredictable and changeable in behavior and attitudes
    51. Genuinely values intellectual and cognitive matters
    62. Tends to be rebellious and nonconforming
    66. Enjoys esthetic impressions; is esthetically reactive

Intuitive Females: adventurous, anxious, curious, imaginative, independent, ingenious, individualistic, original, rebellious, versatile

39. Thinks and associates to ideas in unusual ways; has unconventional thought processes
    51. Genuinely values intellectual and cognitive matters

Sensing Males: commonplace, conservative, contented, conventional, interests narrow, practical, simple, stable, steady, wholesome

7. Favors conservative values in a variety of areas
    9. Is uncomfortable with uncertainty and complexities
    11. Is protective of those close to him
    63. Judges self and others in conventional terms like, "popularity," social pressures, etc.
    75. Has a clearcut, internally consistent personality

Sensing Females: conservative, contented, conventional, formal, interests narrow, painstaking, practical, prudish, stolid, thrifty

25. Tends toward over-control of needs and impulses; binds tensions excessively; delays gratification unnecessarily
    41. Is moralistic
    100. Does not vary roles; relates to everyone the same way

T/F

Feeling Males: affectionate, artistic, complicated, dependent, despondent, dreamy, emotional, sensitive, sentimental, weak

43. Is facially and/or gesturally expressive
    56. Responds to humor
    58. Enjoys sensuous experiences (including touch, taste, smell, physical contact, etc.)
    78. Feels cheated or victimized by life; self-pitying

Feeling Females: affectionate, appreciative, considerate, feminine, friendly, sentimental, soft-hearted, sympathetic, trusting, warm

5. Behaves in a giving way towards others
    21. Arouses nurturant feelings in others
    38. Tends to arouse liking and acceptance in others
    35. Has warmth; has the capacity for close relationships; compassionate
    88. Is personally charming

Thinking Males: ambitious, conservative, conventional, efficient, logical, organized, planful, stable, steady, thorough

24. Prides self on being "objective," rational
    63. Judges self and others in conventional terms, like "popularity," social pressures, etc.
    74. Is subjectively unaware of self-concern; feels satisfied with self
    91. Is power-oriented; values power in self and others

Thinking Females: aggressive, aloof, ambitious, autocratic, conceited, hard-headed, logical, opinionated, shrewd, tense

1. Is critical, skeptical, not easily impressed
    24. Prides self on being "objective," rational
    27. Shows condescending behavior in relationships with others
    38. Has hostility towards others
    49. Is basically distrustful of people in general; questions their motivations

J/P

Judging Males: conscientious, conservative, conventional, deliberate, industrious, methodical, painstaking, reliable, responsible, steady

2. Is a genuinely dependable and responsible person
    6. Is fastidious
    41. Is moralistic
    63. Judges self and others in conventional terms like "popularity," social pressures, etc.

Judging Females: conservative, conventional, deliberate, formal, industrious, interests narrow, methodical, planful, prejudiced, prudish

6. Is fastidious
    41. Is moralistic
    100. Does not vary roles; relates to everyone in the same way

Perceiving Males: artistic, careless, changeable, cynical, imaginative, informal, original, rebellious, temperamental, unconventional

53. Various needs tend toward relatively direct and uncontrolled expression; unable to delay gratification
    58. Enjoys sensuous experiences (including touch, taste, smell, physical contact, etc.)
    65. Characteristically pushes and tries to stretch limits; sees what he can get away with

Perceiving Females: careles, changeable, complicated, disorderly, dreamy, moody, pleasure-seeking, rebellious, restless, sexy

67. Is self-indulgent
    73. Tends to perceive many different contexts in sexual terms; eroticizes situations

Observations

A few things to note (these are all my opinion based on the above, not anything in from the book or study):

• Women are described more negatively than men for being introverted
    • Sensing/Intuitive not vastly different for men and women (even though Sensing men got "simple" and Sensing women got "prudish")
    • Little overlap in adjectives for Feeling men vs. women, descriptions for Feeling men more negative ("despondent", "weak")
    • Little overlap in adjectives for Thinking men vs. women, descriptions for Thinking women more negative ("autocratic", "conceited")
    • Despite overlap in adjectives between Judging men vs. women, women got "prejudiced" and "prudish" while men got more positive descriptions.

I also found the Sensing descriptions to be more negative in tone that I would have thought.

Overall, it is interesting that women got described as variously "prudish," "sexy," and "eroticizing, " whereas those terms never came up for men.

[Grrr! Can't fix the title after the fact... we hate that.]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Not to mention Intuitive women aren't very artistic, and feeling men are weak.

Now I have to go to Biology class with my head hurting from the brain cells dying slow, painful deaths..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Note that these are the top five in each set, that we don't know what the full set entails, and we don't know how close the remainder of the set was, and we don't know the strength of any of these subsets compared to other subsets.

All it seems to be is the 'top five' in each category and that's about all that can be said without further information.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    [Grrr! Can't fix the title after the fact... we hate that.]
    yes, my precioussss....

What do you want it changed to?

EDIT: Also found this online ref to the California Q-set aligning with the Big Five

McCrae RR, Costa PT, Jr., Busch CM. Evaluating comprehensiveness in personality systems: The California Q -Set and the five-factor model. J. Pers. 1986;54(2):430-446.

The analysis of natural language trait names and questionnaire scales has suggested that the 5 factors of Neuroticism, Extraversion, Openness, Agreeableness, and Conscientiousness constitute an adequate taxonomy of personality. An alternative approach to comprehensive personality assessment based on clinical judgments is given by the California Q -Set (J. Block, 1961). When self- Q -sorts from 403 adults (aged 28-84 yrs) were factored, the 5 factors closely resembled those found in adjectives and showed convergent and discriminant validity against self-reports and peer- and spouse-ratings. Results were replicated when interviewer Q -sort ratings were examined for a subset of Ss. Findings support the comprehensiveness of the 5-factor model.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What do you want it changed to?
    I was just going to add a possessive.... I've seen worse, but my proof-reading skills improve vastly right after I hit the "post" button.

Note that these are the top five in each set, that we don't know what the full set entails, and we don't know how close the remainder of the set was, and we don't know the strength of any of these subsets compared to other subsets.

All it seems to be is the 'top five' in each category and that's about all that can be said without further information.
    It's true... they have the correlation for each item in the appendix, but my typing stamina is limited. I can look up the relative correlations for specific items.

For example, correlations on the TF scale (Male vs Female):
    Cold: M -.01 F -.26
    Complicated: M .15 F -.18
    Conceited: M -.07 F -.21
    Contented: M -.05 F .11
    Conventional: M -.15 F .00
    Despondent: M .19 F .10
    Fault-finding: M .03 F -.30
    Intolerant: M -.03 F -.26
    Nagging: M .10 F -.22
    Pleasant: M -0.4 F .29
    Resentful M -0.3 F -.23
    Rigid: M -.02 F -.28
    Smug: M -.01 F -.24
    Snobbish: M .00 F. -.21
    Steady: M -.16 F -.04
    Tactless: M .02 F. -.19
    Tense: M .08 F -.20
    Whiny: M .12 F -0.08
    Wholesome: M -.11 F .11

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This is pretty interesting. The book makes a good effort, but I can see flaws (I'm sure you can too).

For me, I'd say this is how I feel about it-

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Introverted Males: aloof, cautious, inhibited, quiet, reserved, retiring, serious, shy, silent, withdrawn

48. Keeps people at a distance; avoids close interpersonal relationships (It varies honestly)
    51. Genuinely values intellection and cognitive matters
    80. Tends to ruminate and have persistent, preoccupying thoughts

Sensing Males: commonplace, conservative, contented, conventional, interests narrow, practical, simple, stable, steady, wholesome

11. Is protective of those close to him
    63. Judges self and others in conventional terms like, "popularity," social pressures, etc.
    75. Has a clearcut, internally consistent personality

Feeling Males: affectionate, artistic, complicated, dependent, despondent, dreamy, emotional, sensitive, sentimental, weak

43. Is facially and/or gesturally expressive
    56. Responds to humor

78. Feels cheated or victimized by life; self-pitying

Perceiving Males: artistic, careless, changeable, cynical, imaginative, informal, original, rebellious, temperamental, unconventional

53. Various needs tend toward relatively direct and uncontrolled expression; unable to delay gratification
    65. Characteristically pushes and tries to stretch limits; sees what he can get away with
    I think it's funny how it says that sensing males are conservative and conventional, while they say perceiving males are UNCONVENTIONAL. The author basically directly contradicts himself.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Do you understand what it means by 'being concerned with the self as an object" BC? This is typical personality talk for introversion... everything begins with the self, heads out to the environment, then back into the self as the point of ref.

(Just curious.)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Do you understand what it means by 'being concerned with the self as an object" BC? This is typical personality talk for introversion... everything begins with the self, heads out to the environment, then back into the self as the point of ref.

(Just curious.)
    Oh I didn't see it that way. I thought it meant like... being super individualistic, caring waaay too much about yourself, etc. The way you put it though, I wholly agree. *edits post*

Another thing I forgot to add is that I'm a lot less conservative than a good amount of intuitives that I know...
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Another thing I forgot to add is that I'm a lot less conservative than a good amount of intuitives that I know...
    I didn't think intuitives were nearly as conservative as sensors on the whole...
    (At least they haven't been, in my experience!)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    This is pretty interesting. The book makes a good effort, but I can see flaws (I'm sure you can too).

For me, I'd say this is how I feel about it-

I think it's funny how it says that sensing males are conservative and conventional, while they say perceiving males are UNCONVENTIONAL. The author basically directly contradicts himself.
    Well, not the author... the pool of observers. The observers didn't know the type of the people they were observing. Also, N in general correlates somewhat with P, which also introduces some skew.

They do have some similar information for 10 of 16 types (their data pool wasn't big enough to get statistically significant information for all 16).

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I didn't think intuitives were nearly as conservative as sensors on the whole...
    (At least they haven't been, in my experience!)
    Maybe I'm just weird! :P

It seems mainly how people were raised and what they were raised to believe. The intuitives that I know who have more conservative values were raised that was (Christian, for example). I was raised by a new age mom (ENFJ) and an agnostic dad (INTP). The values things, like comparing artistic talent/interest to personality, is just kinda dumb.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.