User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ????

Default Early Childhood Reading and Functional Development

I just got an idea in my head when I was reviewing a memory of a radio ad that said that "Children who start out reading at a very early age take a different career path than those who don't." I wonder if the same can be said about Type Development. I wonder what would happen to a kid's Jungian Functional Development when they are taught to read before kindergarten. Could this mean that the Tertiary function may start developing sooner in such kids when they grow up than those who haven't learned to read as soon?

MBTI
    INTJ

It would be interesting to see if there was any correlation between type and the age that children started reading. My guess is that S/N may be the most significant with S reading earlier than N.

I started reading very late for the UK at about age 7, I’m an INTJ

If there is any correlation it would then be difficult to tell whether it was cause or effect

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I was reading independently before I entered kindergarden. My parents taught me at an early age.

Not really sure how it would relate to type though, if at all.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't know. Some children speak early, others speak late regardless of type.

For my reading, my parents didn't know I knew how to read. (They had read to me a lot, but apparently I wasn't reading at all in front of them.)

They said they got a call from the kindergarten teacher when I went into school at age 5, telling them that I apparently had learned to read somewhere along the way.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    WOLF

I don't think they're related, I think it has a lot more to do with exposure to reading and reading ability in general than type. As Jennifer said about speaking and development, I've also met kids who were encouraged, but refused to read even at age seven (but well developed otherwise), and kids who literally don't have a book in the house (except for school books) and whose parents just don't read, but the kids enjoy reading anyway, so there's probably also some 'natural affinity for reading' going on.

In my case, I've always had books available and been encouraged to read, which I did at age four, not long before I entered kindergarten.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

That's an interesting question... not sure. With Chinese, I've learnt to read early... but that has to do with being put into a Montessori type preschool. English, I started learning in around grade 3. Speaking, according to my mom, I picked up quite early on... I'm a true N kid even when I was young. My brother (S) in contrast learnt to speak late... not too interested in books much when he was young either.

In short I'm not sure if there's much relationships between type and learning to read...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Zayin-x View Post
    I just got an idea in my head when I was reviewing a memory of a radio ad that said that "Children who start out reading at a very early age take a different career path than those who don't." I wonder if the same can be said about Type Development. I wonder what would happen to a kid's Jungian Functional Development when they are taught to read before kindergarten. Could this mean that the Tertiary function may start developing sooner in such kids when they grow up than those who haven't learned to read as soon?
    I learned to read at age three... and I was reading Childcraft books before Kindergarten. I do seem a bit less... goofy/accepting most of the time compared to a lot of other INFJ's, although I can still be that way at times. I also seem a lot more technical, and don't have as much of a social network or ability to relate to most people without feeling like I'm masquerading/diluting myself just to get by.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I learned to read in the womb. My mother fell asleep with the newspaper against her bare abdomen and bam! I just started going for it. That might explain my smashing success in life and also perhaps my type ambiguity, since I'm so much further along than my cohorts who didn't learn to read until they were 5.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    yupp

I didn't learn to read until 7 but that was because no one told me to sound words out, I was memorizing words one by one. But I learned to read in a night after my brother taught me to sound out the words.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'll be a bit more serious here:

I think there's a lot of emphasis put on early reading as a sign of supreme intelligence when there's actually a wide range of normal between 3 and 8. Early academic gains tend to even out by 3rd or 4th grade. IMO you can't go wrong providing a text-rich environment and being tuned in to a particular child's trajectory. If a parent takes the child's lead and offers low-key assistance when they seem receptive, without pushing or discouraging (you'd be surprised- the Waldorf people think it's actually harmful for kids to read before 7, so they actively discourage it before then!) then I think a child will develop as they should. Neither too quickly nor too slowly. I think that goes for personality as well as academics- and different personality types are probably more likely to drift towards either bookishness or kineticness, even at an early age.

In short, I think this may be a confusion of cause and effect.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii