• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Early Childhood Reading and Functional Development

Zayin-x

MBTI Type
????
I just got an idea in my head when I was reviewing a memory of a radio ad that said that "Children who start out reading at a very early age take a different career path than those who don't." I wonder if the same can be said about Type Development. I wonder what would happen to a kid's Jungian Functional Development when they are taught to read before kindergarten. Could this mean that the Tertiary function may start developing sooner in such kids when they grow up than those who haven't learned to read as soon?

red13

MBTI Type
INTJ
It would be interesting to see if there was any correlation between type and the age that children started reading. My guess is that S/N may be the most significant with S reading earlier than N.

I started reading very late for the UK at about age 7, I’m an INTJ

If there is any correlation it would then be difficult to tell whether it was cause or effect

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was reading independently before I entered kindergarden. My parents taught me at an early age.

Not really sure how it would relate to type though, if at all.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know. Some children speak early, others speak late regardless of type.

For my reading, my parents didn't know I knew how to read. (They had read to me a lot, but apparently I wasn't reading at all in front of them.)

They said they got a call from the kindergarten teacher when I went into school at age 5, telling them that I apparently had learned to read somewhere along the way.

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
I don't think they're related, I think it has a lot more to do with exposure to reading and reading ability in general than type. As Jennifer said about speaking and development, I've also met kids who were encouraged, but refused to read even at age seven (but well developed otherwise), and kids who literally don't have a book in the house (except for school books) and whose parents just don't read, but the kids enjoy reading anyway, so there's probably also some 'natural affinity for reading' going on.

In my case, I've always had books available and been encouraged to read, which I did at age four, not long before I entered kindergarten.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
That's an interesting question... not sure. With Chinese, I've learnt to read early... but that has to do with being put into a Montessori type preschool. English, I started learning in around grade 3. Speaking, according to my mom, I picked up quite early on... I'm a true N kid even when I was young. My brother (S) in contrast learnt to speak late... not too interested in books much when he was young either.

In short I'm not sure if there's much relationships between type and learning to read...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I just got an idea in my head when I was reviewing a memory of a radio ad that said that "Children who start out reading at a very early age take a different career path than those who don't." I wonder if the same can be said about Type Development. I wonder what would happen to a kid's Jungian Functional Development when they are taught to read before kindergarten. Could this mean that the Tertiary function may start developing sooner in such kids when they grow up than those who haven't learned to read as soon?

I learned to read at age three... and I was reading Childcraft books before Kindergarten. I do seem a bit less... goofy/accepting most of the time compared to a lot of other INFJ's, although I can still be that way at times. I also seem a lot more technical, and don't have as much of a social network or ability to relate to most people without feeling like I'm masquerading/diluting myself just to get by.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I learned to read in the womb. My mother fell asleep with the newspaper against her bare abdomen and bam! I just started going for it. That might explain my smashing success in life and also perhaps my type ambiguity, since I'm so much further along than my cohorts who didn't learn to read until they were 5.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I didn't learn to read until 7 but that was because no one told me to sound words out, I was memorizing words one by one. But I learned to read in a night after my brother taught me to sound out the words.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'll be a bit more serious here:

I think there's a lot of emphasis put on early reading as a sign of supreme intelligence when there's actually a wide range of normal between 3 and 8. Early academic gains tend to even out by 3rd or 4th grade. IMO you can't go wrong providing a text-rich environment and being tuned in to a particular child's trajectory. If a parent takes the child's lead and offers low-key assistance when they seem receptive, without pushing or discouraging (you'd be surprised- the Waldorf people think it's actually harmful for kids to read before 7, so they actively discourage it before then!) then I think a child will develop as they should. Neither too quickly nor too slowly. I think that goes for personality as well as academics- and different personality types are probably more likely to drift towards either bookishness or kineticness, even at an early age.

In short, I think this may be a confusion of cause and effect.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my mother teaches elementary school, so I'd learned to read before I went to Kindergarten. I've always had some trouble with reading anything long or in depth though, so I'm going into a blue collar job after graduation. Hope that helps! :D

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I could divide written 8-digit ciphres when I was born. In fact, I was the one telling my mother how much time I had passed exactly in the womb by measuring differential in the angle of the sun when I was an ovul and when I was born.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I could divide written 8-digit ciphres when I was born. In fact, I was the one telling my mother how much time I had passed exactly in the womb by measuring differential in the angle of the sun when I was an ovul and when I was born.

Hmm... I'm going to need some proof before I can believe that. Sounds pretty far fetched. It seems like that would have been publicized or something if it happened.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Hmm... I'm going to need some proof before I can believe that. Sounds pretty far fetched. It seems like that would have been publicized or something if it happened.

It's been kept secret because I'm training to be a weapon for the CIA.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's been kept secret because I'm training to be a weapon for the CIA.

If that were true, then I doubt you'd have time to post here, and you likely would have known that it wasn't a good idea to tell us for whom you worked. I don't mean to be skeptical or mistrustful, but I don't buy your story. Sorry, nothing personal... it just doesn't add up to me.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
If that were true, then I doubt you'd have time to post here, and you likely would have known that it wasn't a good idea to tell us for whom you worked. I don't mean to be skeptical or mistrustful, but I don't buy your story. Sorry, nothing personal... it just doesn't add up to me.

I don't know...maybe this wikipedia entry will clear it up?

Addition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw, if you don't really want to buy it, I can make you a special price? 15 dollars?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
When I was conceived, I had the ability to solve differential equations written in my genetic material. So, basically, there was no time at which I did not kick ass in the solving differential equations department.