User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    EXFP
    Posts
    99

    Default MBTI type strengths or interests?

    I was wondering if you really did consider what was listed as your MBTI type strangths really were your strong points or are thay rather points of intrest?

    For example, is an ISTP really more natural at mechanics, or are they just better at it because it's point of intrest? Thoughts? ...
    Or, do you have a stength or point of intrest that does not correlate with your type? If so what is it?

    That's all.

  2. #2
    Supreme High Commander Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    There better at it because it is a point of interest. Functions do not grant skills or abilities, only an inclination to think/act in a particular way. People are usually best at whatever they practice doing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member VagrantFarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    No, ISTPs are not automatically good at mechanics or automatically interested in mechanics. They are naturally inclined to practical problem-solving, however - describing them as mechanics is just a way of illustrating that.
    Hello

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    EXFP
    Posts
    99

    Default

    @ Andy:Thank you for contributing but I'm still a little hazy on this. Like pardon my stereotyping but typically fot NTs math is a strength but not necessarily a point of intrest. I'm hoping people could give personal resposes to see if we could explore this subject in more detail. Thanks for your opinion though. Noted. I just hope the discussion won't end here . . ..Maybe this post is useless anyhow. :P

  5. #5
    Senior Member VagrantFarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Similarly, NTs are not automatically good at or interested in maths. The functions only describe how people think - everything else is an illustration designed to make it more digestible. Basically, the reasoning is:

    NTs are generally abstract and systematic in thought
    Maths is an abstract and systematic subject
    Therefore, NTs like Maths

    This is dumb and assumptive, and not reflective of what the functions are actually describing.
    Hello

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    EXFP
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    No, ISTPs are not automatically good at mechanics or automatically interested in mechanics. They are naturally inclined to practical problem-solving, however - describing them as mechanics is just a way of illustrating that.
    Hmm I get what you are saying, but where do you make the distinction. More natrually inclined to be practicle problem solvers . . . so you think it's entirelly out of interst? I know that no one is naturally born a mechanic, not all ISTPs are mechanics ext. It's just a generla name given to that type, but like with ENFPs, how they are called the Inspierers? How they naturally tend to inspire people, that seems more like a natural strength rather than a point of interest.

    Basically though, though I appreciate the speculation and it's totally welcome, if you could also list what your strength are and points of interest and see if we find anything, than that would be really helpful. That's more what I had in mind when I made this thread.

  7. #7
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Type is about preferences, not strengths. You can have a preference but never have had the chance to develop it. For example, traditionally in this country women who preferred Thinking were socialized to step into the shoes of others and see how they feel (the Extraverted Feeling function) to make decisions, not to go with the logical course of action. If Intuitive children are told to stick to the facts, they may not learn to trust their hunches and thus effectively use Intuition.

    When the preferences are allowed to develop (and the role of parents and teachers is to create an environment where that can happen...sigh...) then we see patterns in interests among people who share preferences. But to quote Isabel Myers, all ISTPs are like every ISTP are like no other ISTPs. You can pick up any interest because of a big brother, a favorite teacher, a great TV show, etc. Similarly, a natural interest can be stifled--NTs for example may learn to hate math if it's taught through a "memorize the procedures" text like Saxon math. I'm an NF and love math because it was taught well and I loved the patterns. On the other hand, I'm happy coaching math teachers, wouldn't want to be a U math professor.

    And...each function can manifest in different interests. NTs might like the logic of philosophical argument rather than math. ISTPs might like the practical problem solving of parole officer work (I know two) rather than mechanical endeavors. INFPs might prefer the creative work of psychiatry or architecture to poetry. Etc.

    Similarly, there are few ST philosophers (may enjoy a few classes, but who can get a job if that's their major, they say) and few INFP heavy equipment operators (you can't start daydreaming...)
    edcoaching

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    EXFP
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Thank you for your post it all makes perfect sense, but you brought up the idea of preferences. . .
    Would you say these preferences are more like natural strengths or points or interest or a combination of both?

    Sorry, it's not that I didn't understand your point about interests being somewhat determined by environment, but, I'm still a little hazy on this :P

    And can you have a natural strenth that doesn't correlate with you're MBTI but rather your shadow type? Cause that's the case with me. Even though I'm a P I'm also really good at organising efficient methods when I'm in the right mood.

    Does that just mean I'm well balanced then? (:s . . . ?

  9. #9
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magil View Post
    Thank you for your post it all makes perfect sense, but you brought up the idea of preferences. . .
    Would you say these preferences are more like natural strengths or points or interest or a combination of both?
    The theory says the preferences are innate tendencies and research backs it up--you can see E and I differences in brain scans, for example. They aren't strengths because just because you have a preference doesn't mean you're good at it. Some S's for example pay attention to the WRONG details or facts or past experiences. Some N's are horrid at accurate connections or analogies. Preferences have to be developed.

    Sorry, it's not that I didn't understand your point about interests being somewhat determined by environment, but, I'm still a little hazy on this :P
    For example, a lot of Ni's are content to sit and read/study/ponder the universe. I read tons as a child. But my dad worked with YMCA camps. We all went to camp and we all were involved in athletics. Period. And I found interests of my own through this family environment. If I'd grown up with two U professor parents who spent extra hours researching, my athletic interests may never have developed.

    And can you have a natural strenth that doesn't correlate with you're MBTI but rather your shadow type? Cause that's the case with me. Even though I'm a P I'm also really good at organising efficient methods when I'm in the right mood.
    You're ISTP? Then the efficient methods come through logical Ti. That's a natural strength of ISTPs which is why they make such great pilots/engineers etc.

    Does that just mean I'm well balanced then?
    Balance is actually not a type goal. Maturity is about knowing which preferences to use in what situation and having the skills to use the ones you don't prefer, as needed. If your environment is one-sided then there's no need to use them equally...and no one ever gets as good with the opposite ends of the dichotomies! Other than Jesus/Buddha, etc.
    edcoaching

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    EXFP
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    The theory says the preferences are innate tendencies and research backs it up--you can see E and I differences in brain scans, for example. They aren't strengths because just because you have a preference doesn't mean you're good at it..
    Okay that makes sense to me now thank you. It's not really a point of interest but rather an innate tendency as you said. Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    For example, a lot of Ni's are content to sit and read/study/ponder the universe. I read tons as a child. But my dad worked with YMCA camps. We all went to camp and we all were involved in athletics. Period. And I found interests of my own through this family environment. If I'd grown up with two U professor parents who spent extra hours researching, my athletic interests may never have developed..
    Gotcha

    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    You're ISTP? Then the efficient methods come through logical Ti. That's a natural strength of ISTPs which is why they make such great pilots/engineers etc..
    I'm actually not an istp and I'm not really sure where this strength is coming from . .. :P But I understand you, don't worry.
    edit: Why do you think I seem like an ISTP? Or was that just an example? I'm not super sure of my type anyway so. . ..
    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Balance is actually not a type goal. Maturity is about knowing which preferences to use in what situation and having the skills to use the ones you don't prefer, as needed..
    Do you think each type with their top 8 fuctions, has all the functions necessary to be well equiped in all situations? And wouldn't that require a balanced cultivation of their functions?
    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    If your environment is one-sided then there's no need to use them equally...and no one ever gets as good with the opposite ends of the dichotomies! Other than Jesus/Buddha, etc.
    haha well . . .alright

Similar Threads

  1. The "Other Side" of MBTI® Type - Enrichment or sabotage (cpp web seminar)
    By INTP in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 01:14 AM
  2. MBTI Type, Nature or Nurture?
    By ilikeitlikethat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 11:35 AM
  3. MBTI Type, Nature or Nurture?
    By ilikeitlikethat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 08:41 AM
  4. [MBTItm] The most common MBTI type for any /b/tard or poster on 4chan.org is...
    By Nillerz in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 06:15 PM
  5. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO