• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

From ENTP to ENTJ after becoming a father?

TaPEnTP

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1w2
Hey all, I'm new to the forums, but I took my Jung personality test a long time ago in the younger stages of my spiritual search for the true answers to this realm of life on Earth. I was kind of flattered about the type description of ENTP, and took it consistently for about 3 - 4 years where it has remained the same. My friends agree that it fits me perfectly, until now, when my closest friend, my wife thinks that the most recent test result fits me to the T, and it is of an ENTJ.

For a brief history my wife is someone I barely talked to in HS and have not seen for over 7 years until I found her randomly through, go figure, Facebook. She was the first person I felt truly in love with, and ironically it was through a dream where her personality was not as she was at the time, but how I wished or "knew" her to truly be. She is now that person, and she is almost 8 months pregnant. I started a business practically at the same time I reunited with her, and it is actually thanks to her.

Sorry for rambling, but back to the point, I am now an ENTJ, and reading the description I strangely fit it about half the time. The other half seems to still be the ENTP. Is it possible to fluctuate between types when realizing that my careless and free ways of being as an ENTP, now have a direct and possibly negative effect on my family, therefore I am forced to think more systematically at times as an ENTJ? Any replies would be greatly appreciated!!!

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes I can say I've flirted with ENTJ while in accelerated learning... when leaning a new profession etc. So it's not surprising your Jness is comign through, fatherhood is one of the biggest responcibilites.

I don't beleive you will have changed your ENTPness completely, but for now you will have more J about you... which just tells you, that you can do the planning an preperation when suitably motivated to do so.

As for changing your wife into the person you dreamt off, it sounds creepy.... love her for her not for your own illusion that she can't live up to long term. She is perfect, a perfect representation o herlsef, enjoy and cherish who she actually is

TaPEnTP

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1w2
I think I made myself unclear. In high school, there was a huge unexplainable attraction to my wife who I didn't know at all personally. One night I had a dream in which her and I were a perfect match, she was my idea of a perfect person. I fell in love with her for a week then, until realizing that her personality only existed in a dream. Then now, 7 years later, I found her again, to realize what I dreamed was a foreshadowing of her current personality. Lol...

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That is cool :)

I've recently become a mother and I find that being a parent requires a really broad range of skills and a lot of adaptability. So Ps will often need to develop more J skills and Js will need to be more P. For example, I find myself being more spontaneously creative more often to deal better with my daughter and being more silly than normal while my ENTP husband has to pre-plan more and be tidier. Sometimes our pattern before the baby crosses over now, and he's the one who says stuff to me like, "why is it like that? It shouldn't be!" and I tell him to give me a break and not sweat the small stuff, lol.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I can definitely come off as more of a J type when it's go time. And being a parent is like constant go time. I read somewhere that ENTPs behave more like INTJs when stressed or under pressure, something about shadow functions or flipped functions (Ne Ti Fe Si vs Ni Te Fi Se) or something like that... can't really remember.

But yeah, people who know me through work would say without a doubt that I am an NTJ, and I can see that. I can be extremely efficient and methodical. But I'm definitely 100% ENTP.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ 7w8 ENTPs (which I would assume you are) are much more likely to be mistaken for NTJs, I'd imagine.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My istp husband seems lightly istj-ish much of the time, unless he's kicking back and being his true self.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
^ 7w8 ENTPs (which I would assume you are) are much more likely to be mistaken for NTJs, I'd imagine.

Yeah, I'm 7w8 and I've heard the same about people with strong 8 wings.

My istp husband seems lightly istj-ish much of the time, unless he's kicking back and being his true self.

I've seen a few ISTPs like this on the job. I thought my brother was ISTJ for so long but now I'm starting to think he's ISTP with a tendency to be like that when he's "on". Funny how it works.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I'm 7w8 and I've heard the same about people with strong 8 wings.

I've seen a few ISTPs like this on the job. I thought my brother was ISTJ for so long but now I'm starting to think he's ISTP with a tendency to be like that when he's "on". Funny how it works.

Yeah, there's really no hiding from Ti/Se, once you see it.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Parenting is an excellent way to develop skills with the non-preferred preferences. In fact the highest incidence of divorce is two Perceiving types where neither is willing to develop J skills. The presenting problem is usually money management.

So as reflected in the posts above, it's normal for ENTPs to develop their logical decision-making side (Ti) as they mature, and parenting does make us do that!! If they don't develop it, well, remember Schindler at the beginning of the movie? Not exactly a role model...Or James T. Kirk before Starfleet Academy began working on him...

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
In fact the highest incidence of divorce is two Perceiving types where neither is willing to develop J skills.

Yup, I'm ENTP to the max, except around my ENFP girlfriend I feel very ENTJ. I'm the one who has to present either/or options, calculate the tip, provide some sort of structure.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yup, I'm ENTP to the max, except around my ENFP girlfriend I feel very ENTJ. I'm the one who has to present either/or options, calculate the tip, provide some sort of structure.

Well, then there is long-term hope :) Any two types can work it out, but some people just can't flex enough from their types to make it work

TaPEnTP

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1w2
Even more fluctuations!

Hey all. So this is very interesting, but I seem to be regularly rotating between ENTP, ENTJ, ENFP, and ENFJ. I feel at times I may be playing a bit of devil's advocate when answering questions, but I never step out of my boundaries or falsify an answer. They all seem to ring true, and yet I seem to completely identify with all the descriptions of these types, mostly depending on the circumstance and situation I am currently in. Seems that the "EN" part is grounded and has never altered in any way.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! This is very intriguing to me!