User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    IEI

Default From ENTP to ENTJ after becoming a father?

Hey all, I'm new to the forums, but I took my Jung personality test a long time ago in the younger stages of my spiritual search for the true answers to this realm of life on Earth. I was kind of flattered about the type description of ENTP, and took it consistently for about 3 - 4 years where it has remained the same. My friends agree that it fits me perfectly, until now, when my closest friend, my wife thinks that the most recent test result fits me to the T, and it is of an ENTJ.

For a brief history my wife is someone I barely talked to in HS and have not seen for over 7 years until I found her randomly through, go figure, Facebook. She was the first person I felt truly in love with, and ironically it was through a dream where her personality was not as she was at the time, but how I wished or "knew" her to truly be. She is now that person, and she is almost 8 months pregnant. I started a business practically at the same time I reunited with her, and it is actually thanks to her.

Sorry for rambling, but back to the point, I am now an ENTJ, and reading the description I strangely fit it about half the time. The other half seems to still be the ENTP. Is it possible to fluctuate between types when realizing that my careless and free ways of being as an ENTP, now have a direct and possibly negative effect on my family, therefore I am forced to think more systematically at times as an ENTJ? Any replies would be greatly appreciated!!!

MBTI
    ENTP

Yes I can say I've flirted with ENTJ while in accelerated learning... when leaning a new profession etc. So it's not surprising your Jness is comign through, fatherhood is one of the biggest responcibilites.

I don't beleive you will have changed your ENTPness completely, but for now you will have more J about you... which just tells you, that you can do the planning an preperation when suitably motivated to do so.

As for changing your wife into the person you dreamt off, it sounds creepy.... love her for her not for your own illusion that she can't live up to long term. She is perfect, a perfect representation o herlsef, enjoy and cherish who she actually is

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    IEI

I think I made myself unclear. In high school, there was a huge unexplainable attraction to my wife who I didn't know at all personally. One night I had a dream in which her and I were a perfect match, she was my idea of a perfect person. I fell in love with her for a week then, until realizing that her personality only existed in a dream. Then now, 7 years later, I found her again, to realize what I dreamed was a foreshadowing of her current personality. Lol...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

That is cool

I've recently become a mother and I find that being a parent requires a really broad range of skills and a lot of adaptability. So Ps will often need to develop more J skills and Js will need to be more P. For example, I find myself being more spontaneously creative more often to deal better with my daughter and being more silly than normal while my ENTP husband has to pre-plan more and be tidier. Sometimes our pattern before the baby crosses over now, and he's the one who says stuff to me like, "why is it like that? It shouldn't be!" and I tell him to give me a break and not sweat the small stuff, lol.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I can definitely come off as more of a J type when it's go time. And being a parent is like constant go time. I read somewhere that ENTPs behave more like INTJs when stressed or under pressure, something about shadow functions or flipped functions (Ne Ti Fe Si vs Ni Te Fi Se) or something like that... can't really remember.

But yeah, people who know me through work would say without a doubt that I am an NTJ, and I can see that. I can be extremely efficient and methodical. But I'm definitely 100% ENTP.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ 7w8 ENTPs (which I would assume you are) are much more likely to be mistaken for NTJs, I'd imagine.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

My istp husband seems lightly istj-ish much of the time, unless he's kicking back and being his true self.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ 7w8 ENTPs (which I would assume you are) are much more likely to be mistaken for NTJs, I'd imagine.
    Yeah, I'm 7w8 and I've heard the same about people with strong 8 wings.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    My istp husband seems lightly istj-ish much of the time, unless he's kicking back and being his true self.
    I've seen a few ISTPs like this on the job. I thought my brother was ISTJ for so long but now I'm starting to think he's ISTP with a tendency to be like that when he's "on". Funny how it works.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Yeah, I'm 7w8 and I've heard the same about people with strong 8 wings.

I've seen a few ISTPs like this on the job. I thought my brother was ISTJ for so long but now I'm starting to think he's ISTP with a tendency to be like that when he's "on". Funny how it works.
    Yeah, there's really no hiding from Ti/Se, once you see it.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Parenting is an excellent way to develop skills with the non-preferred preferences. In fact the highest incidence of divorce is two Perceiving types where neither is willing to develop J skills. The presenting problem is usually money management.

So as reflected in the posts above, it's normal for ENTPs to develop their logical decision-making side (Ti) as they mature, and parenting does make us do that!! If they don't develop it, well, remember Schindler at the beginning of the movie? Not exactly a role model...Or James T. Kirk before Starfleet Academy began working on him...
    edcoaching