First 1234 Last

Thread: Step II

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    That is interesting, high.

So, right out of the box, one has to wonder, where did these facets come from? Is there some model-theoretic justification for it? I don't quite see how.
    +1
    Kinda of unravels existing theory...rather than building on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    So, right out of the box, one has to wonder, where did these facets come from? Is there some model-theoretic justification for it?
    I ask myself the same question every time I read about the 4 main dichotomies.

garbage

Many people are dissatisfied with the four scale model. Sometimes it's hard to decide if you're an Extravert or an Introvert. Many report, "It depends on the situation." If that's you, then this is the test that will give you clarity.
    Kind of says it all. There might be some facets of extroversion that a person matches up with and others that he doesn't, which might be useful to know.

How did these facets come about? Yeah, probably just brainstorming and speculation. I seriously doubt whether the facets of any given dichotomy are independent (as they should be), given that studies have shown that the dichotomies themselves aren't.

You will finally understand why the Keirsey just can't cut it. When you need individual results, tailored to the way you really are, you need the Step II.
    Also kind of says it all. Good ol' marketing and competition. Breaking the dichotomies down into sub-dichotomies makes the product look more attractive.

Oh, yeah, and also there's a Step III. Good luck with that one.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm guessing you paid the full $90 for the test?
    (I'm not aware of free online scoring yet.)

Was it worth it? it seems kinda stiff to me, although the expanded categorizations seem interesting. The price is one reason why I have not done it.
    Yes I did pay the $90. Was it worth it? For me probably yes because I was interested enough in seeing the results. I've always felt that there somehow needed to be more granularity in MBTI. Still, the $80 - $90 that it costs does seem pretty expensive.

I came across this thread from a couple of years ago related to this. It looked interesting.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...p-ii-test.html

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

this seems conceptually empty. there are no relationships that mean anything in particular, it just quantifies. if anything it is a way of measuring a moment in the system, like blood pressure. bc it doesn't show anything in the way of developmental patterns, potential, etc.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

good to see the dichotomy dwellers are at least being proactive.

however none of this is necessary if you'd just learn how to identify functions by behavior and calculate type based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    My thoughts on this have been that people have enough trouble with Step I.
    yeah, 'cause of how confusing and inconsistent it is.
    step one is obsolete.

step two is the future of second-rate typology.
    at least they're being proactive.

that said, the vocabulary used above offers a wide array of handy tools for exacting and formulating thoughts about personal identity - this of course being the most common purpose in typological inquiry.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    this seems conceptually empty. there are no relationships that mean anything in particular, it just quantifies. if anything it is a way of measuring a moment in the system, like blood pressure. bc it doesn't show anything in the way of developmental patterns, potential, etc.
    Interesting point on a "snapshot in time". What I do know is that my results seem to be reasonably accurate and point out some nuances that I know to be true.

How do you know if it's conceptually empty?

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    however none of this is necessary if you'd just learn how to identify functions by behavior and calculate type based on that.

yeah, 'cause of how confusing and inconsistent it is.
    step one is obsolete.

step two is the future of second-rate typology.
    at least they're being proactive.

that said, the vocabulary used above offers a wide array of handy tools for exacting and formulating thoughts about personal identity - this of course being the most common purpose in typological inquiry.
    It seems to me that the pragmatic usefulness is what matters most regardless as to which way you look at things. Maybe both views are worthwhile.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'd really like the facets to have come from somewhere. And here's a bizarre thought I've been toying with:

Socionics, to my (barely interested) understanding, is a bunch of stories. The types are characterised in depth and with a Russian lack of politeness too. And there's a lot of function role characterisation too. Out of something like that could come a deeper sub-categorisation of function usage, it seems to me. In other words, if someone went and whipped up some rich, detailed, storylined descriptions of the Jungian functions, one could pop out "facets" sort of systematically... couldn't one?

One would need a measure of Russian bravado, though. Characterising imaginary objects like functions. An in-depth detailing of what the modelled objects are in the model... it's like making up stories.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    It seems to me that the pragmatic usefulness is what matters most regardless as to which way you look at things. Maybe both views are worthwhile.
    worthwhile, sure.
    but they don't really measure the same things.

that both systems use the same words means nothing.
    MBTI and 'step II' are derivatives of jungian typology, and should be thought of that way.

personally, i've found that jungian analysis is less of a headache. even if they have the same level of effectiveness, that factor alone gives jung's setup the advantage. hence my bias.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I suppose if you want to spend $185!? then you can find out more about what is behind all of this.

Amazon.com: MBTI step II manual: Exploring the next level of Type with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator form Q: Naomi L Quenk: Books