User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Are there any Ns who really suck at interpreting literature or poetry?

I'm just interested.....because this is my favorite hobby .... all the possibilities of meaning, haach.
    But I was wondering if this is more of an Ni-thing......
    And I have friends who I'm pretty sure are Ns but really suck at interpreting literature....
    (er, that is not to imply that poetry is NOT literature...)

Phantonym

With literature, I usually tend to be more character oriented, the psychology of the character(s) and the cause and effect of the events and by concentrating mostly on this I might miss some other important developments in other aspects that are more abstract. I like interpreting literature much more because there's more "material" to work with.

With poetry, it's either I haven't had that much experience with interpreting it nor that deep of an interest in poetry in general or I don't know what. I can't say that I really suck at it but I do have trouble with interpreting it. I have sat in class, listening to others talk about some poem and thinking to myself that this is such a load of nonsense because I can't seem to find meaning in the connections they make. I think it might depend on the particular literature and poetry as well.

MBTI
    xxxx
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    -

ME! PICK ME! I DO!
    Living is never a waste of time.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

I thought the title said "NFs" at first. I was going to respond "No." But Ns... yes.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I cannot find any deep meaning in literature, and yet, for some reason, people call me an "N".
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I usually do okay with stories, but poetry -- forget it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    CAT

It's cetainly not only a Ni thing - I've met plenty of Ne users who were excellent at interpreting literature. Most of people I've met who were really good at it were NFs, but NTs also have some brilliant moments, as well as occasional SPs with strong Ni. I'm sure there are literature-smart SJs as well, but I haven't met too many of them so far.

As for interpreting poetry... I have to say I LOVE poetry, but I don't feel much need to interpret it. I read poetry very instinctually; I'm absorbed in the emotions it delivers, and I see pictures rather than meanings. As for me, the feeling of the poem is the most important, and sometimes it seems to me that interpreting poetry weakens its emotional impact - as if someone wanted to explain the beauty of the rose.

Back to the OP... I'm sure there are Ns who suck at interpreting literature But on the average I'd say that they have better dispositions for it than Ss.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Oddity View Post
    It's cetainly not only a Ni thing - I've met plenty of Ne users who were excellent at interpreting literature. Most of people I've met who were really good at it were NFs, but NTs also have some brilliant moments, as well as occasional SPs with strong Ni. I'm sure there are literature-smart SJs as well, but I haven't met too many of them so far.

As for interpreting poetry... I have to say I LOVE poetry, but I don't feel much need to interpret it. I read poetry very instinctually; I'm absorbed in the emotions it delivers, and I see pictures rather than meanings. As for me, the feeling of the poem is the most important, and sometimes it seems to me that interpreting poetry weakens its emotional impact - as if someone wanted to explain the beauty of the rose.

Back to the OP... I'm sure there are Ns who suck at interpreting literature But on the average I'd say that they have better dispositions for it than Ss.
    Here I read the back of the packet as I eat my Corn Flakes, but I am told that in the Czech Republic they deliver a poem fresh every morning with the milk.

MBTI
    xxxx

In my case:

Suck? Meh. Despise and find it a relatively pointless exercise? (moreso for poetry) Yes.

I mean... it's just language. Why interpret a description of reality when you can interpret reality itself? I could find what you (pardon the informal second person) mean in any given instance, but you could be wrong. Poetry of any subject merely provides a fantasy. While fantasy is nice, sharing in the fantasy of some distant person is... meh. I'd much prefer to analyze something for its validity rather than "interpret" it.

As a side note, I'd suggest there is a minimal correlation between N/S and interpretation skills.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    In my case:

Suck? Meh. Despise and find it a relatively pointless exercise? (moreso for poetry) Yes.

I mean... it's just language. Why interpret a description of reality when you can interpret reality itself? I could find what you (pardon the informal second person) mean in any given instance, but you could be wrong. Poetry of any subject merely provides a fantasy. While fantasy is nice, sharing in the fantasy of some distant person is... meh. I'd much prefer to analyze something for its validity rather than "interpret" it.

As a side note, I'd suggest there is a minimal correlation between N/S and interpretation skills.
    Everything you see is through the eyes of a poet.

It sounds as though you only see things through second hand eyes. Why not see them through your own eyes?