• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are there any Ns who really suck at interpreting literature or poetry?

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm just interested.....because this is my favorite hobby :).... all the possibilities of meaning, haach.
But I was wondering if this is more of an Ni-thing......
And I have friends who I'm pretty sure are Ns but really suck at interpreting literature....
(er, that is not to imply that poetry is NOT literature...)

P

Phantonym

With literature, I usually tend to be more character oriented, the psychology of the character(s) and the cause and effect of the events and by concentrating mostly on this I might miss some other important developments in other aspects that are more abstract. I like interpreting literature much more because there's more "material" to work with.

With poetry, it's either I haven't had that much experience with interpreting it nor that deep of an interest in poetry in general or I don't know what. I can't say that I really suck at it but I do have trouble with interpreting it. I have sat in class, listening to others talk about some poem and thinking to myself that this is such a load of nonsense because I can't seem to find meaning in the connections they make. I think it might depend on the particular literature and poetry as well.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought the title said "NFs" at first. I was going to respond "No." But Ns... yes. :D

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I cannot find any deep meaning in literature, and yet, for some reason, people call me an "N".

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I usually do okay with stories, but poetry -- forget it.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
It's cetainly not only a Ni thing - I've met plenty of Ne users who were excellent at interpreting literature. Most of people I've met who were really good at it were NFs, but NTs also have some brilliant moments, as well as occasional SPs with strong Ni. I'm sure there are literature-smart SJs as well, but I haven't met too many of them so far.

As for interpreting poetry... I have to say I LOVE poetry, but I don't feel much need to interpret it. I read poetry very instinctually; I'm absorbed in the emotions it delivers, and I see pictures rather than meanings. As for me, the feeling of the poem is the most important, and sometimes it seems to me that interpreting poetry weakens its emotional impact - as if someone wanted to explain the beauty of the rose.

Back to the OP... I'm sure there are Ns who suck at interpreting literature :) But on the average I'd say that they have better dispositions for it than Ss.

Mole

Permabanned
It's cetainly not only a Ni thing - I've met plenty of Ne users who were excellent at interpreting literature. Most of people I've met who were really good at it were NFs, but NTs also have some brilliant moments, as well as occasional SPs with strong Ni. I'm sure there are literature-smart SJs as well, but I haven't met too many of them so far.

As for interpreting poetry... I have to say I LOVE poetry, but I don't feel much need to interpret it. I read poetry very instinctually; I'm absorbed in the emotions it delivers, and I see pictures rather than meanings. As for me, the feeling of the poem is the most important, and sometimes it seems to me that interpreting poetry weakens its emotional impact - as if someone wanted to explain the beauty of the rose.

Back to the OP... I'm sure there are Ns who suck at interpreting literature :) But on the average I'd say that they have better dispositions for it than Ss.

Here I read the back of the packet as I eat my Corn Flakes, but I am told that in the Czech Republic they deliver a poem fresh every morning with the milk.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
In my case:

Suck? Meh. Despise and find it a relatively pointless exercise? (moreso for poetry) Yes.

I mean... it's just language. Why interpret a description of reality when you can interpret reality itself? I could find what you (pardon the informal second person) mean in any given instance, but you could be wrong. Poetry of any subject merely provides a fantasy. While fantasy is nice, sharing in the fantasy of some distant person is... meh. I'd much prefer to analyze something for its validity rather than "interpret" it.

As a side note, I'd suggest there is a minimal correlation between N/S and interpretation skills.

Mole

Permabanned
In my case:

Suck? Meh. Despise and find it a relatively pointless exercise? (moreso for poetry) Yes.

I mean... it's just language. Why interpret a description of reality when you can interpret reality itself? I could find what you (pardon the informal second person) mean in any given instance, but you could be wrong. Poetry of any subject merely provides a fantasy. While fantasy is nice, sharing in the fantasy of some distant person is... meh. I'd much prefer to analyze something for its validity rather than "interpret" it.

As a side note, I'd suggest there is a minimal correlation between N/S and interpretation skills.

Everything you see is through the eyes of a poet.

It sounds as though you only see things through second hand eyes. Why not see them through your own eyes?

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
In my case:

Language is powerful. I don't find anything trivial about literature, and poetry is not merely someone else's distant fantasy. Words can convey ideas, and a well written poem could (and probably has) inspire(d) change or expanded knowledge. Additionally, poetry connects people, as it allows us to relate to the thoughts and experiences of someone else through certain common aspects of our humanity.

I used to hate attempting to analyze/interpret poetry until a fantastic teacher taught me to do it properly and it changed my entire view. She showed me how poetry is not just open to "everybody's" flimsy interpretation of what it means, but there is a specific way to uncover more concrete meanings by creating a boundary using only what can be proven and pulled from the text itself.

Now I'm fascinated and amazed by the genius and creativity of poets. They have hidden amazing messages for us to find within words, like a hunt for treasure. There's a reason good poetry is published--it's not just a collection of nice sounding words. There is a lot of depth there, but you have to know how to find it. Even if you don't enjoy that analyzing/interpreting process, once you fully see how it works, I don't think you can help but appreciate it.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I don't disagree that poems have a more specific interpretation. Poets are creative, yes. I simply tend to see minimal value in said poems. Anyone can write a poem and any two renowned poets can contradict each other and still write valid poems. It's just a game of rhetoric.

My disinterest in poetry is largely due to the art form's almost pure subjective quality.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I have always gotten this comment from teachers:

Okay, so you have a bit of analysis, but why should the reader care?

I don't know, why should the reader care? Does it really matter whether they care or not? Because I'm writing for you, and I should consider the audience, I think you should care because of the way schools tend to work nowadays, that parents like to call in when students start getting poor grades. But otherwise, why should the reader care? Maybe you ought to tell me. You are the reader, after all.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
No, your the only one.
Quit using your type as a personal excuse to not do your English homework.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yup, me. Ne dom NT here.

I can appreciate things that I can understand from a first person pov but I don't have the patience or inkling to work through word for word to gain understanding. English was my least favourite subject at school, I really love reading and enjoyed creative writing as a youngster but only because I enjoy interpreting something in my head with my own understanding and getting captivated in another reality, that usually has nothing to do with the "deeper meaning" that literature is supposed to have. Understanding the deeper meaning can add to the story (eg Animal Farm) or kill a book (eg Romeo and Juliet) for me, so I prefer not to try to interpret what the writer means but to just experience it.

Poetry I don't get. I try but I can't. For me dissecting it takes away the beauty and enjoyment.

I do however totally enjoy witnessing someone who does get (and is passionate about) poetry.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I suck at it. Sometimes I can pick up themes in a story.. but.. no. I just suck at it all. :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

This !

I tended to get really bad grades back in school in german and english literature classes. I read many good books in my life, which brought me new ideas and as matt said, made way for new thoughts to look at life but interpreting it the way I get good grades, I always sucked at.

My highest moment of despair I had when after I scored 5 on a test, whats a D in the States, the teacher told me that there are 3 ways to interprete that text and I hit none. Ya and I was like caught in the vicious circle of that bad interpretation of the word interpretation.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty good at it, and I love to do it. I read a lot of poetry and prefer literature that has some meaning behind the story, not just a page-turning plot. I can't see how NFPs would not be as interested or adept at this as an NFJ....

I'm also very much drawn to symbolism, metaphor, and other figures of speech. I enjoy subtleties and nuances. Things which are too literal and/or direct can lose the full meaning and seem too "black & white". I especially appreciate when something is very simple, yet says a lot, as that is a difficult feat.

Things which have no additional layer of meaning get stale for me quickly. I may enjoy it as a novelty, but if there's no resonating of truth, then it's not likely to impress me. It doesn't have to be extremely profound though; I'm not a snob :D

There's also a great feeling when you understand the author's sentiments. It feels as if someone else came close to voicing how you feel or you actually understand a feeling you haven't felt, and so you're a little less alienated from the world.

:cheese:

In my case:

:cough:ISTJ:cough:

:rolli: