User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 77

  1. #51
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    ^Wow. I must say I'm surprised that so many people hate poetry. I can understand people not getting into it or finding it frustrating, but hatred? Odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    I disagree with people using it to support their own views when it really doesn't. I really don't care as much about right/wrong as whether people are abusing the piece or not. Many interpretations seem to me to be stating that they are uncovering the author's intent, in which case it has become about the author's intent.
    Unless the author has a problem with it, or it is a slanderous interpretation, then I don't see the problem. One simply has to maintain an open mind. That's what makes the creative process - and its critics - so interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  2. #52
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Writing and poetry I can really find my way around.

    But don't show me abstract paintings and whatnot, because that stuff is entirely lost on me.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  3. #53
    Kraken down on piracy Lux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    I think poetry is allowed to have a different meaning to each individual who reads it. I think that's the inherent beauty in it. It becomes a mix of your own emotions and thoughts along with the poet's. Not everyone's vision of the poem is the same, and no one's understanding is completely right or wrong. The beauty is in the mingling of two people's thoughts and emotions. Yours and the poets.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

  4. #54
    Senior Member BlueGray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    I think poetry is allowed to have a different meaning to each individual who reads it. I think that's the inherent beauty in it. It becomes a mix of your own emotions and thoughts along with the poet's. Not everyone's vision of the poem is the same, and no one's understanding is completely right or wrong. The beauty is in the mingling of two people's thoughts and emotions. Yours and the poets.
    I strongly agree with this. My issues are when people take such experiences and push them onto others.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

  5. #55
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Interpretation can be a bit of a labor to me, but depending upon the lens I choose to interpret a text through, it can be a labor of love. This applies to both literature and poetry. As a child, though, my lowest standardized test scores were in literature interpretation (but my highest math score was in abstract thinking, so I don't think I lack N.) I'm picky about the type of poetry I like, but I still like it- Rilke is one of my favorites.

    My favorite type of interpretation is historical more than literary.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  6. #56
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Sometimes I suck at it, but it's mostly because I can think of too many interpretations and can't pick one. Others seem to be able to jump to one conclusion much more quickly.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    crap
    Posts
    209

    Default

    I'm going to venture out on a limb here and assume the OP means interpret as in the ability to recognize obvious key themes and correctly explain the indications the text gives in support of the theme/s. I call this "reading comprehension." I have never met an intuitive who had poor reading comprehension. Never. In fact, if I did, I would begin to doubt that person's intuition. Also anecdotal, but complementary: I've never known a sensor who understood literature effortlessly. I know my experience is limited, but hell, this trend has been so consistent I use it as an N/S litmus test.

  8. #58
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    I'm sure there are.

    I do think that NFs, in particular and of course, in general, do have a knack for interpreting literature and poetry.

    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  9. #59
    Senior Member Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    crap
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post

    I do think that NFs, in particular and of course, in general, do have a knack for interpreting literature and poetry.

    Why?

  10. #60
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Its not about what the poem means to the author it is what it means to you.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTJ] ENTJ's: if in love, are there any romantic gestures you appreciate?
    By wrldisquiethere in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 05:47 PM
  2. [ISFJ] Are there any ISFJ's here that are at peace with themselves
    By Saslou in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM
  3. [NT] Are there any NTs that enjoy the performing arts?
    By EmilyEccentric in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 05:50 AM
  4. Are there any SJ villians in Pop Culture?
    By IXTJ in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 06:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO