User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    I just take a text, tear it apart, and reassemble it my way. Whether it moves me or not is irrelevant.
    And whether it moves after you tear it apart is irrelevant - we murder to dissect.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And whether it moves after you tear it apart is irrelevant - we murder to dissect.

Not unless it's vivisection.
    Um, yeah.

Not unless it's vivisection.
    The horror. The horror.

MBTI
    fool

Well, I'm not really good at interpreting the structure of any text, but I think I'm better at interpreting for example the characters - their motives, connections and relations to other characters, overall their complexities etc, and enjoy doing that kind of analyzing more.. I generally didn't do well interpreting poetry, and no matter how I enjoy poetry in general I can't produce/interpret it (esp. technically).

I know very many S's how are way better at it than me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Halfjillhalfjack View Post
    I'm just interested.....because this is my favorite hobby .... all the possibilities of meaning, haach.
    But I was wondering if this is more of an Ni-thing......
    And I have friends who I'm pretty sure are Ns but really suck at interpreting literature....
    (er, that is not to imply that poetry is NOT literature...)
    You do not interpret.
    It is all there.

Art is about what.
    What is, is.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I usually do okay with stories, but poetry -- forget it.
    A double suit, eh?
    There is only one suit.

Good prose is poetry.
    Good poetry is poetry, too.

A story does not follow language.
    Language follows a story.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    You do not interpret.
    It is all there.

Art is about what.
    What is, is.
    I disagree. Art is the utterance of expression. As expression, it can be interpreted, analyzed, or digested by the subject. This is the beauty of art. It is communication between the betwixt artist and the betwixt beholder.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I disagree. Art is the utterance of expression. As expression, it can be interpreted, analyzed, or digested by the subject. This is the beauty of art. It is communication between the betwixt artist and the betwixt beholder.
    Depends on what way you look at it. Is it up to the author, the reader, or the text? Which one is really in control of the interpretation? So many critical approaches. There is no clear-cut interpretation.
    Um, yeah.

Ginkgo

Depends on what way you look at it. Is it up to the author, the reader, or the text? Which one is really in control of the interpretation? So many critical approaches. There is no clear-cut interpretation.
    Exactly. Some might say the text holds objective meaning, which it does. Likewise, paint is paint, charcoal is charcoal, and poetry is poetry. Like anything, art is multi-layered, both physically and psychologically. The art historian may analyze the sculpture of a dog and gain insight into the culture or geological location of the sculptor. Perhaps the little boy will identify with the sculptor as a loving dog owner. Perhaps the outlaw will see this sculpture as his next heist.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Yup, me. Ne dom NT here.

I can appreciate things that I can understand from a first person pov but I don't have the patience or inkling to work through word for word to gain understanding. English was my least favourite subject at school, I really love reading and enjoyed creative writing as a youngster but only because I enjoy interpreting something in my head with my own understanding and getting captivated in another reality, that usually has nothing to do with the "deeper meaning" that literature is supposed to have. Understanding the deeper meaning can add to the story (eg Animal Farm) or kill a book (eg Romeo and Juliet) for me, so I prefer not to try to interpret what the writer means but to just experience it.

Poetry I don't get. I try but I can't. For me dissecting it takes away the beauty and enjoyment.

I do however totally enjoy witnessing someone who does get (and is passionate about) poetry.
    Yeah, absolutely everything Trinity said goes for me too. I tend not to prefer classical literature -- the "high art" stuff. I can read it, appreciate the author for their expertise and hard work, and yet it doesn't engage me at all. I enjoy being captivated by a story and experience, not dissecting it for "meaning". Animal Farm and stories like it are rare exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    At school I was good at it, if grades mean anything. However, it seemed to be more important to understand what your teacher might have thought about the text, rather than give your original interpretation. Thus, I didn't enjoy that much the process.
    I was the same way. English was my least favorite subject in school too -- in college, I intentionally wormed my way around the requirements to take literature at all, replacing it with other humanities requirements like Ethics and "Introduction to Music". Mostly because it always seemed to involve me saying "I took the point of the story as *this*", and then being told "no, the real point of the story was *that*". Usually *that* turned out to be something written (verbatim) in Cliffs Notes.

In the end, I love to read both fiction and nonfiction, but I'm looking to learn and be exposed to new ideas, stories, characters, and experiences. Not to "interpret".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]