User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    In my case:

Suck? Meh. Despise and find it a relatively pointless exercise? (moreso for poetry) Yes.

I mean... it's just language. Why interpret a description of reality when you can interpret reality itself? I could find what you (pardon the informal second person) mean in any given instance, but you could be wrong. Poetry of any subject merely provides a fantasy. While fantasy is nice, sharing in the fantasy of some distant person is... meh. I'd much prefer to analyze something for its validity rather than "interpret" it.

As a side note, I'd suggest there is a minimal correlation between N/S and interpretation skills.

Language is powerful. I don't find anything trivial about literature, and poetry is not merely someone else's distant fantasy. Words can convey ideas, and a well written poem could (and probably has) inspire(d) change or expanded knowledge. Additionally, poetry connects people, as it allows us to relate to the thoughts and experiences of someone else through certain common aspects of our humanity.

I used to hate attempting to analyze/interpret poetry until a fantastic teacher taught me to do it properly and it changed my entire view. She showed me how poetry is not just open to "everybody's" flimsy interpretation of what it means, but there is a specific way to uncover more concrete meanings by creating a boundary using only what can be proven and pulled from the text itself.

Now I'm fascinated and amazed by the genius and creativity of poets. They have hidden amazing messages for us to find within words, like a hunt for treasure. There's a reason good poetry is published--it's not just a collection of nice sounding words. There is a lot of depth there, but you have to know how to find it. Even if you don't enjoy that analyzing/interpreting process, once you fully see how it works, I don't think you can help but appreciate it.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    xxxx

I don't disagree that poems have a more specific interpretation. Poets are creative, yes. I simply tend to see minimal value in said poems. Anyone can write a poem and any two renowned poets can contradict each other and still write valid poems. It's just a game of rhetoric.

My disinterest in poetry is largely due to the art form's almost pure subjective quality.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ENFJ

I have always gotten this comment from teachers:

Okay, so you have a bit of analysis, but why should the reader care?

I don't know, why should the reader care? Does it really matter whether they care or not? Because I'm writing for you, and I should consider the audience, I think you should care because of the way schools tend to work nowadays, that parents like to call in when students start getting poor grades. But otherwise, why should the reader care? Maybe you ought to tell me. You are the reader, after all.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

I'm sure I could do it if I wanted to. I just don't want to.
    Hello

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

No, your the only one.
    Quit using your type as a personal excuse to not do your English homework.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post
    No, your the only one.
    Quit using your type as a personal excuse to not do your English homework.
    Hello

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Yup, me. Ne dom NT here.

I can appreciate things that I can understand from a first person pov but I don't have the patience or inkling to work through word for word to gain understanding. English was my least favourite subject at school, I really love reading and enjoyed creative writing as a youngster but only because I enjoy interpreting something in my head with my own understanding and getting captivated in another reality, that usually has nothing to do with the "deeper meaning" that literature is supposed to have. Understanding the deeper meaning can add to the story (eg Animal Farm) or kill a book (eg Romeo and Juliet) for me, so I prefer not to try to interpret what the writer means but to just experience it.

Poetry I don't get. I try but I can't. For me dissecting it takes away the beauty and enjoyment.

I do however totally enjoy witnessing someone who does get (and is passionate about) poetry.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I suck at it. Sometimes I can pick up themes in a story.. but.. no. I just suck at it all.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I mean... it's just language. Why interpret a description of reality when you can interpret reality itself? I could find what you (pardon the informal second person) mean in any given instance, but you could be wrong. Poetry of any subject merely provides a fantasy. While fantasy is nice, sharing in the fantasy of some distant person is... meh. I'd much prefer to analyze something for its validity rather than "interpret" it.
    This !

I tended to get really bad grades back in school in german and english literature classes. I read many good books in my life, which brought me new ideas and as matt said, made way for new thoughts to look at life but interpreting it the way I get good grades, I always sucked at.

My highest moment of despair I had when after I scored 5 on a test, whats a D in the States, the teacher told me that there are 3 ways to interprete that text and I hit none. Ya and I was like caught in the vicious circle of that bad interpretation of the word interpretation.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'm pretty good at it, and I love to do it. I read a lot of poetry and prefer literature that has some meaning behind the story, not just a page-turning plot. I can't see how NFPs would not be as interested or adept at this as an NFJ....

I'm also very much drawn to symbolism, metaphor, and other figures of speech. I enjoy subtleties and nuances. Things which are too literal and/or direct can lose the full meaning and seem too "black & white". I especially appreciate when something is very simple, yet says a lot, as that is a difficult feat.

Things which have no additional layer of meaning get stale for me quickly. I may enjoy it as a novelty, but if there's no resonating of truth, then it's not likely to impress me. It doesn't have to be extremely profound though; I'm not a snob

There's also a great feeling when you understand the author's sentiments. It feels as if someone else came close to voicing how you feel or you actually understand a feeling you haven't felt, and so you're a little less alienated from the world.

In my case:

Suck? Meh. Despise and find it a relatively pointless exercise? (moreso for poetry) Yes.

As a side note, I'd suggest there is a minimal correlation between N/S and interpretation skills.
    :cough:ISTJ:cough:

:rolli:
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe