Thread: Are you S or N?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default Are you S or N?

Sorry if this has been done before. I've run searches and couldn't find anything.

The reason I want to do it is just for data collection. When a substantial number of people have responded I'll tell you the reason I wanted to do it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'm the better of the two, sensor ftw!

MBTI
    INFP

If this helps, a member search brings up 605 members with an S in their type field and 4304 with an N. Of course, there will be various explanations for this, of which only one will be that they are a sensor or an intuitive, but for the most part it should be an accurate estimate.

MBTI
    ENTP

Good luck with the statistics. Two possible problems:
    1) Voluntary response. People who respond tend to have a more extreme idea about the subject.
    2) Your sample draws from TypoC members, who probably don't represent the general population. If you wanted to sample TypoC population (rather than general population), no problem here.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    ISTP

Literal closed-minded sensor!

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    2) Your sample draws from TypoC members, who probably don't represent the general population. If you wanted to sample TypoC population (rather than general population), no problem here.
    I would expect this to have something to do with finding out what types are more likely to be interested in typology.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    If this helps, a member search brings up 605 members with an S in their type field and 4304 with an N. Of course, there will be various explanations for this, of which only one will be that they are a sensor or an intuitive, but for the most part it should be an accurate estimate.
    Thank you, that's basically what I was looking for.

All it serves to illustrate is what I already knew - that intuiters are far more likely to post on forums than sensors.

Also, my instinctive feelings are that a lot of S types are no doubt confused about their type, and that they are actually N types. A lot of these people are "proud" that they are in fact an S rather than an N. (However, I'm sure a) there are some Sensors on here and b) some such Sensors recognise that their pride is well founded as they are surrounded by iNtuiters and are ironically more unique than iNtuiters on forums.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Good luck with the statistics. Two possible problems:
    1) Voluntary response. People who respond tend to have a more extreme idea about the subject.
    Very true, but unavoidable.

|
    |
    V

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I would expect this to have something to do with finding out what types are more likely to be interested in typology.
    Yep.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I've never met a single person who wasn't a sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

All it serves to illustrate is what I already knew - that intuiters are far more likely to post on forums than sensors.

Also, my instinctive feelings are that a lot of S types are no doubt confused about their type, and that they are actually N types. A lot of these people are "proud" that they are in fact an S rather than an N. (However, I'm sure a) there are some Sensors on here and b) some such Sensors recognise that their pride is well founded as they are surrounded by iNtuiters and are ironically more unique than iNtuiters on forums.)
    Depends. The current idea is that Typology and personality theories in general draw the attention of intuitive types more so than others. You could throw in another random hypothesis that sensors who place value on psychology would be more drawn to this location than others.

Other forums will probably produce a different picture. Have you asked on elsewhere?

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

On this forum.

I mean, you're gonna have a bunch of ISTJs on a forum that, say, discusses Excel. And a bunch of ISTPs on some car repair forum. Or something. Insert stereotypes that are actually true.

This could run both ways. It could also be the case that many Sensors label themselves iNtuitives because they identify with some of the many intuitive posters on this board, or that there's a bunch of simplification and misunderstanding of what a Sensor actually is (usually in a derogatory fashion, intended or not).

My understanding is that this board spun off of an INTP message board, and so that mindset composed the core of this board--that's going to have an effect on the overall social atmosphere and the approach to typology in general. For example, ESFJs, and all of the functions that compose the ESFJ (namely Fe and Si) continue to get the most flack. I wonder why

It seems that the board has slowly diversified from there, however. I do see many more Sensors on this board than when I first started posting here.