User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you S or N?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sensing

    8 13.56%
  • iNtuitive

    44 74.58%
  • Balanced

    4 6.78%
  • Don't know

    3 5.08%
123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Are you S or N?

  1. #1
    Luctor et emergo Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    534

    Default Are you S or N?

    Sorry if this has been done before. I've run searches and couldn't find anything.

    The reason I want to do it is just for data collection. When a substantial number of people have responded I'll tell you the reason I wanted to do it.

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    I'm the better of the two, sensor ftw!

  3. #3
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    If this helps, a member search brings up 605 members with an S in their type field and 4304 with an N. Of course, there will be various explanations for this, of which only one will be that they are a sensor or an intuitive, but for the most part it should be an accurate estimate.

  4. #4
    Writing... Tamske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Good luck with the statistics. Two possible problems:
    1) Voluntary response. People who respond tend to have a more extreme idea about the subject.
    2) Your sample draws from TypoC members, who probably don't represent the general population. If you wanted to sample TypoC population (rather than general population), no problem here.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

  5. #5
    Senior Member Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Literal closed-minded sensor!

  6. #6
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    2) Your sample draws from TypoC members, who probably don't represent the general population. If you wanted to sample TypoC population (rather than general population), no problem here.
    I would expect this to have something to do with finding out what types are more likely to be interested in typology.

  7. #7
    Luctor et emergo Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    If this helps, a member search brings up 605 members with an S in their type field and 4304 with an N. Of course, there will be various explanations for this, of which only one will be that they are a sensor or an intuitive, but for the most part it should be an accurate estimate.
    Thank you, that's basically what I was looking for.

    All it serves to illustrate is what I already knew - that intuiters are far more likely to post on forums than sensors.

    Also, my instinctive feelings are that a lot of S types are no doubt confused about their type, and that they are actually N types. A lot of these people are "proud" that they are in fact an S rather than an N. (However, I'm sure a) there are some Sensors on here and b) some such Sensors recognise that their pride is well founded as they are surrounded by iNtuiters and are ironically more unique than iNtuiters on forums.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Good luck with the statistics. Two possible problems:
    1) Voluntary response. People who respond tend to have a more extreme idea about the subject.
    Very true, but unavoidable.

    2) Your sample draws from TypoC members, who probably don't represent the general population. If you wanted to sample TypoC population (rather than general population), no problem here.
    |
    |
    V

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I would expect this to have something to do with finding out what types are more likely to be interested in typology.
    Yep.

  8. #8
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    I've never met a single person who wasn't a sensor.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Thank you, that's basically what I was looking for.

    All it serves to illustrate is what I already knew - that intuiters are far more likely to post on forums than sensors.

    Also, my instinctive feelings are that a lot of S types are no doubt confused about their type, and that they are actually N types. A lot of these people are "proud" that they are in fact an S rather than an N. (However, I'm sure a) there are some Sensors on here and b) some such Sensors recognise that their pride is well founded as they are surrounded by iNtuiters and are ironically more unique than iNtuiters on forums.)
    Depends. The current idea is that Typology and personality theories in general draw the attention of intuitive types more so than others. You could throw in another random hypothesis that sensors who place value on psychology would be more drawn to this location than others.

    Other forums will probably produce a different picture. Have you asked on elsewhere?

  10. #10
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Thank you, that's basically what I was looking for.

    All it serves to illustrate is what I already knew - that intuiters are far more likely to post on forums than sensors.
    On this forum.

    I mean, you're gonna have a bunch of ISTJs on a forum that, say, discusses Excel. And a bunch of ISTPs on some car repair forum. Or something. Insert stereotypes that are actually true.

    Also, my instinctive feelings are that a lot of S types are no doubt confused about their type, and that they are actually N types. A lot of these people are "proud" that they are in fact an S rather than an N. (However, I'm sure a) there are some Sensors on here and b) some such Sensors recognise that their pride is well founded as they are surrounded by iNtuiters and are ironically more unique than iNtuiters on forums.)
    This could run both ways. It could also be the case that many Sensors label themselves iNtuitives because they identify with some of the many intuitive posters on this board, or that there's a bunch of simplification and misunderstanding of what a Sensor actually is (usually in a derogatory fashion, intended or not).

    My understanding is that this board spun off of an INTP message board, and so that mindset composed the core of this board--that's going to have an effect on the overall social atmosphere and the approach to typology in general. For example, ESFJs, and all of the functions that compose the ESFJ (namely Fe and Si) continue to get the most flack. I wonder why

    It seems that the board has slowly diversified from there, however. I do see many more Sensors on this board than when I first started posting here.

Similar Threads

  1. Are you Simple or Complex?
    By bechimo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 06-02-2015, 11:12 AM
  2. [ESTP] ESTPs: are you vulnerable or insecure? How?
    By SilkRoad in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 08:29 AM
  3. [SP] Sps, are you more or less honest when high or intoxicated
    By Charmed Justice in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 12:50 AM
  4. are you more or less logical than you think?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 11:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO