• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you S or N?

Are you S or N?

• Sensing

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • iNtuitive

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • Balanced

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry if this has been done before. I've run searches and couldn't find anything.

The reason I want to do it is just for data collection. When a substantial number of people have responded I'll tell you the reason I wanted to do it.

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm the better of the two, sensor ftw!

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
If this helps, a member search brings up 605 members with an S in their type field and 4304 with an N. Of course, there will be various explanations for this, of which only one will be that they are a sensor or an intuitive, but for the most part it should be an accurate estimate.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Good luck with the statistics. Two possible problems:
1) Voluntary response. People who respond tend to have a more extreme idea about the subject.
2) Your sample draws from TypoC members, who probably don't represent the general population. If you wanted to sample TypoC population (rather than general population), no problem here.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
Literal closed-minded sensor!

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
2) Your sample draws from TypoC members, who probably don't represent the general population. If you wanted to sample TypoC population (rather than general population), no problem here.

I would expect this to have something to do with finding out what types are more likely to be interested in typology.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If this helps, a member search brings up 605 members with an S in their type field and 4304 with an N. Of course, there will be various explanations for this, of which only one will be that they are a sensor or an intuitive, but for the most part it should be an accurate estimate.

Thank you, that's basically what I was looking for.

All it serves to illustrate is what I already knew - that intuiters are far more likely to post on forums than sensors.

Also, my instinctive feelings are that a lot of S types are no doubt confused about their type, and that they are actually N types. A lot of these people are "proud" that they are in fact an S rather than an N. (However, I'm sure a) there are some Sensors on here and b) some such Sensors recognise that their pride is well founded as they are surrounded by iNtuiters and are ironically more unique than iNtuiters on forums.)

Good luck with the statistics. Two possible problems:
1) Voluntary response. People who respond tend to have a more extreme idea about the subject.

Very true, but unavoidable.

|
|
V

I would expect this to have something to do with finding out what types are more likely to be interested in typology.

Yep.

Snow Turtle

All it serves to illustrate is what I already knew - that intuiters are far more likely to post on forums than sensors.

Also, my instinctive feelings are that a lot of S types are no doubt confused about their type, and that they are actually N types. A lot of these people are "proud" that they are in fact an S rather than an N. (However, I'm sure a) there are some Sensors on here and b) some such Sensors recognise that their pride is well founded as they are surrounded by iNtuiters and are ironically more unique than iNtuiters on forums.)

Depends. The current idea is that Typology and personality theories in general draw the attention of intuitive types more so than others. You could throw in another random hypothesis that sensors who place value on psychology would be more drawn to this location than others.

Other forums will probably produce a different picture. Have you asked on elsewhere?

G

garbage

On this forum.

I mean, you're gonna have a bunch of ISTJs on a forum that, say, discusses Excel. And a bunch of ISTPs on some car repair forum. Or something. Insert stereotypes that are actually true.

This could run both ways. It could also be the case that many Sensors label themselves iNtuitives because they identify with some of the many intuitive posters on this board, or that there's a bunch of simplification and misunderstanding of what a Sensor actually is (usually in a derogatory fashion, intended or not).

My understanding is that this board spun off of an INTP message board, and so that mindset composed the core of this board--that's going to have an effect on the overall social atmosphere and the approach to typology in general. For example, ESFJs, and all of the functions that compose the ESFJ (namely Fe and Si) continue to get the most flack. I wonder why :wacko:

It seems that the board has slowly diversified from there, however. I do see many more Sensors on this board than when I first started posting here.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I've actually been wondering about the reverse lately. I'm beginning to think that a good chunk of the supposed iNtuiters on here are Sensors.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think there are some confused people in both directions, honestly. The hardcore Ss and Ns are both enough to severely frighten me, at least.

There has been some bias against Ss here before but not so much now that we have more active S members.

I am not sure I should vote since I do not feel strongly S or N but with a definite lean towards S so not truly balanced either. meh.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I decided I should elaborate on the whole topic:

Here are some speculations about why the demograph might breaks down like it does.

INtuiters are more interested in MBTI than Sensers.

Possible reasons:

The highly abstract, theoretical nature of the MBTI seems more interesting or useful to an N than it would to an S.

INtuiters are somewhere between a fourth and a fifth of the American population, creating a personality minority status. People in this position are often more interested in psychological works for understanding the self and others.

Authors of MBTI material have an iNtuition favoring bias, and so the material they write is accordingly biased in who it attracts.

The forum is skewed by an iNtuition bias.

Possibly by coincidence, some other factors, or the factors already listed above, these forums my have started off on an iNtuitive limb. INtuiters, consolidating with other iNtuiters, may start to frame themseves against the predominatey Sensing world, creating a forum atmosphere that has the following effects:

It attracts yet more iNtuiters, who see a like crowd, a place of belonging, somewhere to gloat or commiserate.

It repulses Sensers, who see the forum atmosphere as being exclusive and hostile to their kind.

It persuades undecideds that they are iNtuitive, because regardless of whether or not they really are N or are actually S, people are drawn in by communities of solidarity and God knows almost everyone thinks it's themselves against a different and unsupportive world. If you are uneducated about the MBTI and see that talk on the iNtuitive forum, you'll think you must be an N.

Likewise, after a mostly iNtuitive forum becomes especially conceited, it's hard to imagine any newbie with a bit of self-esteem would type themselves as a Senser, if the only thing they hear is that Sensers suck in regards to everything. So if you like yourself, you must be iNtuitive.

Crappy amateurish tests.

In essentially the direct reversal of Ezra's theory, maybe tests are written in a way that produces an inaccurately large number of iNtuiters.

The population figures about the USA were conducted in a respectably conducted serving using the official MBTI form M. As best as I can tell, almost no one here has taken such a test. Instead, most have taken online tests written by random amateurs, likely barely refined after their original creation, not created without sufficient knowledge of psychometics to know what sort of questions to use or not use, and simply way too few questions a anyhow. Making matters worse, there are tons of these tests, mistaken in different ways, that add up to give confusing counter-results.

Those who do not take any tests are instead left to self-typing from their own knowledge, or letting themselves be type by others, which makes them seriously vulnerable to the other cause I've listed.

I'm increasingly thinking the N bias is the reason for our demographics. Like I said, perhaps an increased interest in the MBTI among Ns is why the forum would start out N heavy in the first place, but given just how different this forum population is from the national population, I have to wonder if the types really differ that much in their interest. On the other hand, the anti-Sensing sentiment is really palpable on this forum (though I acknowledge it's gotten better over time.. probably had to shake off some of its initial INTPc influence). The Sensors I have spoken to it seem to be almost in consensus about the feeling that they are unwanted, disliked, or singled-out here, and their view is the most important factor in this theory.

I would guess the whole crappy test theory is in second place.

I'm really losing my belief in the theory that differing interests are the source of all of this. And when it comes to differing interests, I think the Ns looking for mutual validation is a bigger factor than them having a more inherent interest in the kind of material that the MBTI is.

EDIT: And I just realize, since this forum is in many ways a branch from INTPcentral, that alone could be most of the reason this place started-off N heavy.

Last edited:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No clue, though I'm leaning towards N. I think...maybe...possibly. Wait, no, I don't know.

I'm not competent enough to figure it out.

heart

heart on fire
All it serves to illustrate is what I already knew - that intuiters are far more likely to post on forums than sensors...

This is not really true in my experience. When I was on a woman's message board having to do with housekeeping and weddings and things like that, I posted an MBTI test there and it was like 70 percent SJ, 20 percent SP and 10 percent all N. I think there was just one INTJ on the whole board and no INTP.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is not really true in my experience. When I was on a woman's message board having to do with housekeeping and weddings and things like that, I posted an MBTI test there and it was like 70 percent SJ, 20 percent SP and 10 percent all N. I think there was just one INTJ on the whole board and no INTP.

Wow. Cool. Interesting. Not surprising, though.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am an S but as someone pointed out to me recently, i have quite a bit of Ne or Ni (whatever) in me but i don't consciously recognise it, it is just something i do but my 'N' friend sees it immediately.

Scary. Or Not.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a sensor, and if I'm not? Oh well.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with heart. Based on the atmosphere at other forums vs here (I am slightly addicted to them) I would not say they are N-dominated, in general. Introvert-dominated, probably. And possibly more T. Though certainly it depends on the main topic being discussed.