First 123 Last

Thread: Are you S or N?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Also, my instinctive feelings are that a lot of S types are no doubt confused about their type, and that they are actually N types. A lot of these people are "proud" that they are in fact an S rather than an N. (However, I'm sure a) there are some Sensors on here and b) some such Sensors recognise that their pride is well founded as they are surrounded by iNtuiters and are ironically more unique than iNtuiters on forums.)
    I've actually been wondering about the reverse lately. I'm beginning to think that a good chunk of the supposed iNtuiters on here are Sensors.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Also, my instinctive feelings are that a lot of S types are no doubt confused about their type, and that they are actually N types. A lot of these people are "proud" that they are in fact an S rather than an N. (However, I'm sure a) there are some Sensors on here and b) some such Sensors recognise that their pride is well founded as they are surrounded by iNtuiters and are ironically more unique than iNtuiters on forums.)
    I think there are some confused people in both directions, honestly. The hardcore Ss and Ns are both enough to severely frighten me, at least.

There has been some bias against Ss here before but not so much now that we have more active S members.

I am not sure I should vote since I do not feel strongly S or N but with a definite lean towards S so not truly balanced either. meh.
    -end of thread-

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I decided I should elaborate on the whole topic:

Here are some speculations about why the demograph might breaks down like it does.

INtuiters are more interested in MBTI than Sensers.

Possible reasons:

The highly abstract, theoretical nature of the MBTI seems more interesting or useful to an N than it would to an S.

INtuiters are somewhere between a fourth and a fifth of the American population, creating a personality minority status. People in this position are often more interested in psychological works for understanding the self and others.

Authors of MBTI material have an iNtuition favoring bias, and so the material they write is accordingly biased in who it attracts.

The forum is skewed by an iNtuition bias.

Possibly by coincidence, some other factors, or the factors already listed above, these forums my have started off on an iNtuitive limb. INtuiters, consolidating with other iNtuiters, may start to frame themseves against the predominatey Sensing world, creating a forum atmosphere that has the following effects:

It attracts yet more iNtuiters, who see a like crowd, a place of belonging, somewhere to gloat or commiserate.

It repulses Sensers, who see the forum atmosphere as being exclusive and hostile to their kind.

It persuades undecideds that they are iNtuitive, because regardless of whether or not they really are N or are actually S, people are drawn in by communities of solidarity and God knows almost everyone thinks it's themselves against a different and unsupportive world. If you are uneducated about the MBTI and see that talk on the iNtuitive forum, you'll think you must be an N.

Likewise, after a mostly iNtuitive forum becomes especially conceited, it's hard to imagine any newbie with a bit of self-esteem would type themselves as a Senser, if the only thing they hear is that Sensers suck in regards to everything. So if you like yourself, you must be iNtuitive.

Crappy amateurish tests.

In essentially the direct reversal of Ezra's theory, maybe tests are written in a way that produces an inaccurately large number of iNtuiters.

The population figures about the USA were conducted in a respectably conducted serving using the official MBTI form M. As best as I can tell, almost no one here has taken such a test. Instead, most have taken online tests written by random amateurs, likely barely refined after their original creation, not created without sufficient knowledge of psychometics to know what sort of questions to use or not use, and simply way too few questions a anyhow. Making matters worse, there are tons of these tests, mistaken in different ways, that add up to give confusing counter-results.

Those who do not take any tests are instead left to self-typing from their own knowledge, or letting themselves be type by others, which makes them seriously vulnerable to the other cause I've listed.

I'm increasingly thinking the N bias is the reason for our demographics. Like I said, perhaps an increased interest in the MBTI among Ns is why the forum would start out N heavy in the first place, but given just how different this forum population is from the national population, I have to wonder if the types really differ that much in their interest. On the other hand, the anti-Sensing sentiment is really palpable on this forum (though I acknowledge it's gotten better over time.. probably had to shake off some of its initial INTPc influence). The Sensors I have spoken to it seem to be almost in consensus about the feeling that they are unwanted, disliked, or singled-out here, and their view is the most important factor in this theory.

I would guess the whole crappy test theory is in second place.

I'm really losing my belief in the theory that differing interests are the source of all of this. And when it comes to differing interests, I think the Ns looking for mutual validation is a bigger factor than them having a more inherent interest in the kind of material that the MBTI is.

EDIT: And I just realize, since this forum is in many ways a branch from INTPcentral, that alone could be most of the reason this place started-off N heavy.
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 02-09-2010 at 10:43 PM.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

No clue, though I'm leaning towards N. I think...maybe...possibly. Wait, no, I don't know.

I'm not competent enough to figure it out.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

heart on fire

All it serves to illustrate is what I already knew - that intuiters are far more likely to post on forums than sensors...
    This is not really true in my experience. When I was on a woman's message board having to do with housekeeping and weddings and things like that, I posted an MBTI test there and it was like 70 percent SJ, 20 percent SP and 10 percent all N. I think there was just one INTJ on the whole board and no INTP.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    This is not really true in my experience. When I was on a woman's message board having to do with housekeeping and weddings and things like that, I posted an MBTI test there and it was like 70 percent SJ, 20 percent SP and 10 percent all N. I think there was just one INTJ on the whole board and no INTP.
    Wow. Cool. Interesting. Not surprising, though.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am an S but as someone pointed out to me recently, i have quite a bit of Ne or Ni (whatever) in me but i don't consciously recognise it, it is just something i do but my 'N' friend sees it immediately.

Scary. Or Not.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I'm a sensor, and if I'm not? Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I agree with heart. Based on the atmosphere at other forums vs here (I am slightly addicted to them) I would not say they are N-dominated, in general. Introvert-dominated, probably. And possibly more T. Though certainly it depends on the main topic being discussed.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    xxxx
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    -

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...y-central.html

I made a thread that is similar. *shameless self-promotion*
    Living is never a waste of time.