• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Baffled by Fi

VagrantFarce

Fe = harmonizing/unifying the external world based on the public cultural standards of behavior, not private personal values

Eric B said:
Because it's still a value criteria. What you seem to be doing is assuming it automatically becomes Thinking because "Te" is the "official" extraverted judgment of the ENFP. Te may be involved as well, but there is still an element of Feeling being extraverted.
(Same thing with INTP's assuming all their "Feeling" is Fe, because that's their official "Feeling" function, yet some of what they describe is a degradation into "demonic Fi").

This sounds more like unhealthy, submissive Fe - co-opting the presumed "agreed-upon" standards just to "get along". A person with healthy Fe recognises how their behaviour as an individual actively defines those standards, and is free to define them in any way they please. So where do these "standards" (or "values") come from, if not an internal function? Is that really the same thing as Fi? Are the same questions being asked, the same criteria being considered?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Is that addressed to eric B, me, or both?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not assuming that. I'm labeling it Te because when it happens, it looks more like TJ judgment than FJ judgment. The fact that it involves values doesn't magically turn it into Fe--the functions never operate alone so yes, every Te judgment will have a component of Fi's values as well. It's all one big fluid process.

Your argument that it's Fe seems to come from the fact that the ENFP is motivated by feeling to interact with others. I don't see why this necessitates Fe use. Just being motivated by his feeling function to do something involving the external world doesn't magically turn it into Fe use. Why does being a "value criteria" necessitate Fe over Fi? Te can and does judge and organize the outer world according to Fi's personal values, especially in types with Fi in higher priority than Te.

People can and are motivated by introverted functions to do something involving the external world--this doesn't turn introverted functions into extroverted ones. The difference between Fi and Fe is the source of the standard upon which the moral decision was made--once the ENFP decides "I am upset by this breach of my personal values [which are in no way influenced by anyone else's idea of what should be valuable]", he has been influenced by Fi rather Fe than because the standard for his moral view was based on an internal judgment system, with no regard to the ethical views of his tribal group.

It would only be Fe if the moral belief motivating his admonishment of others were based on the prevailing cultural values among his social group--this would be an objective decision. Since, in this case, the ENFP has taken a moral stance based on an internal and subjective judgment system, this is Fi.

Choosing to take action based on this internal value system does not constitute Fe use, regardless of whether the ENFP then confronts others in an attempt to enforce his values on the environment. The determining factor between introversion and extroversion here is the criteria for the decision, not whether it's applied to himself or others.

That's fine; I've buckled to pressure and changed my model to include occasional use of shadow functions. When an ENFP overlooks his own personal values in favor of upholding some sort of external social standard, that is when he is legitimately using Fe. (You can see why this doesn't happen all that often.) Just ordering others to follow his values when they get threatened is easily accomplished by Fi+Te.
Like I said I've conceded the point that shadow functions are sometimes used (or at least, shifted the way I interpret Jung in my posts to jive with more people's ideas), so I will agree that the ENFP does occasionally use Fe; I just think you've got the conditions for what constitutes Fe use wrong.
What I was trying to say was not so much where it was applied; but what you have said there would constitute Fe. He turns to prevailing cultural values to criticize the group.
It still initially stems fro violated personal values, and what he's doing is essentially accuing the group of not being congruent with its own values, which would be a sort of Fi-ish criticism. But that's where the fluidity of the concepts come in. Values are values. introversion and extraversion are tied to the ego's action, bot the function itself.

So what do you think would trigger this rare manifestation of Fe, then, or have you not worked it out that far?
Te = applying logical, causal order to the external world based on objectively verifiable standards and measurements

Fe = harmonizing/unifying the external world based on the public cultural standards of behavior, not private personal values

Fe is a form of Je, extroverted judgment, which deals with organizing the outer environment in order to, as I said, harmonize with cultural standards for behavior in whatever tribal group the Fe user identifies with.

You seem to be assuming that cleaning the house and arranging it methodically automatically invokes Te, but I would argue that this sort of physical organization of the physical world is just as easily performed from an Fe standpoint. It's probably something to the effect of, "My tribal group values having a clean house, so I clean my house."

If the questionable practice which the FJ is worried about actually is the prevailing cultural norm in this context, Fe would lead us more toward sucking up our personal problem with it and just not saying anything. After all, it's the group's customs and cultures, the group's traditions, and the group's values that are typically more important than the FJ's internal personal qualms.

Anyway, I've never heard anything about extroverting judgment in neither the Te nor Fe form, and I think whichever of these is being "used" is dependent upon the person's motivation for it--does she place more value on the strategic advantage in applying impersonal causal order, or is it more important to her to harmonize with the prevailing values of the people and culture with which she identifies? Of course, I am sure she is aware of both advantages, but whichever is higher in her value system, whichever strikes her as the greater concern, is going to be the indicator of which function is at use. Cleaning the house could be an expression of Te or Fe, or even another function, depending on why your wife is doing it.
I'm looking at it in terms of the complex being manifested as well, and the complex sis the area of consciusness that bears the archetype. I can compare her cleaning to her psychological knowledge, where she was trained in an extremely Te science of "empiricism", and said that it was not natural for her, but she was forced to adopt the method, and now filters theory through it. So I come with my theories, and she fires into them that they are not empirically tested, and I can tell it is a negative archetype being manifested. Then, I compare that to when she's in "cleaning" mode, and it seems to fit tiogether as a "Destructive" Te (that's only the archetype name).
(It's also similar to some of the flack the theories have been receiving from Te users lately).

This stuff is hard to fully explain (much easier to process it in the mind than to get others to understand), but again, the functions are fluid. What are Thinking and Feeling, but foms of J; a rational ordering process.

As I put it, T and F are just two sides of the "rational" coin, and S and N are two sides of the a-rational coin. And then if these function coins are split along the edge into separate coins in themselves, the different orientations of them are just different sides of those coins.
There are no hard, concrete objects here. And I didn't say "neither" Te nor Fe. They just blend together, with the line between them becoming fuzzy at times, and then there's the case of undifferentiated function as well (such as feelings of love, or when any person adds 2 + 2).
Wow... I'd wear my tribal headset and carry my mop proudly, if I could be that skinny.... *dreamy sigh*
Why would you want to?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What I was trying to say was not so much where it was applied; but what you have said there would constitute Fe. He turns to prevailing cultural values to criticize the group.
It still initially stems fro violated personal values, and what he's doing is essentially accuing the group of not being congruent with its own values, which would be a sort of Fi-ish criticism. But that's where the fluidity of the concepts come in. Values are values. introversion and extraversion are tied to the ego's action, bot the function itself.

But he isn't criticizing everyone in his cultural group--just a few people who are out of line with the prevailing cultural values.

If he were criticizing the prevailing cultural values themselves for being inconsistent with his own, that would be Fi.

If he were criticizing the group based on a belief that it's important to stay in line with the prevailing cultural values, that would be Fe. If you're going to argue that this is really Fi because it stems from some kind of value, then you've effectively reduced all Fe to Fi.

Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki said:
Fi: Until I understand it in terms of empathy and how it relates to a living need that I might have, I don't see how I can relate to it.

Fe: Until I can see where this fits into my network of tribal bonds and obligations, I don't see how I can relate to it. How can I tell if I'm for it or against it until I know how other people feel about it?

Fi doesn't need to know how anyone else feels about it in order to evaluate. Fe does. That's the difference.

So if our ENFP friend here is criticizing his friends for being out of touch with the surrounding cultural values (taking into account the objective standards established by others in his culture), it's Fe.

If he's criticizing his friends for being immoral based on his personal belief about morality regardless of what anyone else thinks, it's Fi. The key to Fi is that it's not taking the opinions of others into account in his evaluation.

So what do you think would trigger this rare manifestation of Fe, then, or have you not worked it out that far?

What would trigger it is the ENFP caring enough about others to temporarily set aside his own feelings about what's right or wrong and blending in with his cultural surroundings.

For example, American ENFP woman visits the middle east and conforms to the cultural custom of refraining from wearing shorts, out of respect for the surrounding cultural standards.

Fi says: "It doesn't matter what context I'm in; I don't need to adjust my clothing habits because that's an immoral imposition on my freedom of expression."

Fe says: "In this case I should adjust to the cultural expectations of the surrounding context and wear long pants. My own beliefs about personal expression will have to be set aside while I am here--because that's the prevailing cultural norm here."

I'm looking at it in terms of the complex being manifested as well, and the complex sis the area of consciusness that bears the archetype. I can compare her cleaning to her psychological knowledge, where she was trained in an extremely Te science of "empiricism", and said that it was not natural for her, but she was forced to adopt the method, and now filters theory through it. So I come with my theories, and she fires into them that they are not empirically tested, and I can tell it is a negative archetype being manifested. Then, I compare that to when she's in "cleaning" mode, and it seems to fit tiogether as a "Destructive" Te (that's only the archetype name).
(It's also similar to some of the flack the theories have been receiving from Te users lately).

Well, obviously you know your wife better than I do, so her cleaning at the moment you wrote that might very well have been Te-oriented. If she starts cleaning on another day for a different reason, her motivation might be Fe--or there might be some component of both. I can't say because I don't know your wife.

The point is that any particular behavior might be motivated by any function or combination of functions depending on the person and circumstances involved.

This stuff is hard to fully explain (much easier to process it in the mind than to get others to understand), but again, the functions are fluid. What are Thinking and Feeling, but foms of J; a rational ordering process.

As I put it, T and F are just two sides of the "rational" coin, and S and N are two sides of the a-rational coin. And then if these function coins are split along the edge into separate coins in themselves, the different orientations of them are just different sides of those coins.
There are no hard, concrete objects here. And I didn't say "neither" Te nor Fe. They just blend together, with the line between them becoming fuzzy at times, and then there's the case of undifferentiated function as well (such as feelings of love, or when any person adds 2 + 2).

Right, but each of us prefers to listen to one side of that coin more often than the other. I agree that the functions are fluid and don't operate in isolation--every behavior that we observe in others is probably a combination of several functions working at once, in varying degrees of influence. Each of us chooses to listen to certain ones more often than others. When we tie a behavior to a particular function, we are trying to isolate whichever function was most influential on that particular behavior--even though there's inevitably some influence from the others.

However, even though both forms of the one function may simultaneously influence a decision, one will always take precedence over the other when it comes time to make the final say.

If we appease the voice that says, "Go with what you feel inside is right", we're listening more to Fi.

If we appease the voice that says, "Go with what the cultural standards in your surroundings would suggest", we're listening more to Fe.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But he isn't criticizing everyone in his cultural group--just a few people who are out of line with the prevailing cultural values.

If he were criticizing the prevailing cultural values themselves for being inconsistent with his own, that would be Fi.

If he were criticizing the group based on a belief that it's important to stay in line with the prevailing cultural values, that would be Fe. If you're going to argue that this is really Fi because it stems from some kind of value, then you've effectively reduced all Fe to Fi.

Fi doesn't need to know how anyone else feels about it in order to evaluate. Fe does. That's the difference.

So if our ENFP friend here is criticizing his friends for being out of touch with the surrounding cultural values (taking into account the objective standards established by others in his culture), it's Fe.

If he's criticizing his friends for being immoral based on his personal belief about morality regardless of what anyone else thinks, it's Fi. The key to Fi is that it's not taking the opinions of others into account in his evaluation.
Well, I'm the one arguing that he is using a kind of shadowy Fe. What I said is that is starts with the personal values, because that is what is preferred by his ego. When the issue expands beyond personal, to group (usually due to stress, because that's not what's preferred), then, it's shadow Fe.

What would trigger it is the ENFP caring enough about others to temporarily set aside his own feelings about what's right or wrong and blending in with his cultural surroundings.

For example, American ENFP woman visits the middle east and conforms to the cultural custom of refraining from wearing shorts, out of respect for the surrounding cultural standards.

Fi says: "It doesn't matter what context I'm in; I don't need to adjust my clothing habits because that's an immoral imposition on my freedom of expression."

Fe says: "In this case I should adjust to the cultural expectations of the surrounding context and wear long pants. My own beliefs about personal expression will have to be set aside while I am here--because that's the prevailing cultural norm here."
But the question was, what would cause him to change orientation like that? Fi could just as well come to a similar conclusion, and it does lead to "caring" about others, because it's about universal values and can understand that wearing shorts might be offensive. That's why Fi is often portrayed as a weighing of values and importance.

Shadow Fe, particularly the ExFP's "witch/senex" (critical parent) archetype, is described as being disgruntled about group expectations. And Fe in general is described as disengaging, as well as engaging. Of course, if one is disgruntled about group values; it likely stems from them not being congruent with his own personal values; hence the Fi connection. Fe shadows Fi in this case. It's really one function, with a preferred and a suppressed orientation.

Well, obviously you know your wife better than I do, so her cleaning at the moment you wrote that might very well have been Te-oriented. If she starts cleaning on another day for a different reason, her motivation might be Fe--or there might be some component of both. I can't say because I don't know your wife.

The point is that any particular behavior might be motivated by any function or combination of functions depending on the person and circumstances involved.

Right, but each of us prefers to listen to one side of that coin more often than the other. I agree that the functions are fluid and don't operate in isolation--every behavior that we observe in others is probably a combination of several functions working at once, in varying degrees of influence. Each of us chooses to listen to certain ones more often than others. When we tie a behavior to a particular function, we are trying to isolate whichever function was most influential on that particular behavior--even though there's inevitably some influence from the others.

However, even though both forms of the one function may simultaneously influence a decision, one will always take precedence over the other when it comes time to make the final say.

If we appease the voice that says, "Go with what you feel inside is right", we're listening more to Fi.

If we appease the voice that says, "Go with what the cultural standards in your surroundings would suggest", we're listening more to Fe.

Sure! This is part of what I have been trying to say. It's all about what is preferred vs suppressed from the consciousness. The suppressed functions will tend to come up, but they will generally be negative or dealing with negative situations, in which case, the normal inhibitions we have from engaging them (or responding to stimuli from them) are removed, and they erupt in a reactive fashion.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That's the big thing I'm taking away from this post with me.

Pretty funny... it sounds verbatim like the arguments I have with my INFP friend here at work. (She's the former, I'm the latter... and sometimes we've gotten very heated over it.) She goes even further -- not only does she not have to adjust her clothing habits (or whatever), NO one should have to adjust their clothing habits, and people should just suck it up and things should work out just fine.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I'd recommend wearing the long pants instead of the shorts, even for people who don't feel any need to adjust to someone else's cultural norms. There are practical reasons for some of these cultural norms. In the middle east, she could be exposed to intense sunlight, especially in the desert area. Less exposed skin means less chance of skin cancer. Also, they tend to have sand storms and clothing does offer protection from all of that. While she's at it, she might want to equip herself with a pair of goggles. Your friend probably hasn't taken any of this into consideration.:cheese:

That's the big thing I'm taking away from this post with me.

Pretty funny... it sounds verbatim like the arguments I have with my INFP friend here at work. (She's the former, I'm the latter... and sometimes we've gotten very heated over it.) She goes even further -- not only does she not have to adjust her clothing habits (or whatever), NO one should have to adjust their clothing habits, and people should just suck it up and things should work out just fine.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd recommend wearing the long pants instead of the shorts, even for people who don't feel any need to adjust to someone else's cultural norms. There are practical reasons for some of these cultural norms. In the middle east, she could be exposed to intense sunlight, especially in the desert area. Less exposed skin means less chance of skin cancer. Also, they tend to have sand storms and clothing does offer protection from all of that. While she's at it, she might want to equip herself with a pair of goggles. Your friend probably hasn't taken any of this into consideration.:cheese:

Probably.

if she ever decides to go to Dubai, I'll let her know. ;)

Jaguar

Originally Posted by Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki
Fi: Until I understand it in terms of empathy and how it relates to a living need that I might have, I don't see how I can relate to it.

Fe: Until I can see where this fits into my network of tribal bonds and obligations, I don't see how I can relate to it. How can I tell if I'm for it or against it until I know how other people feel about it?

I see where the nonsense is coming from.

I also see some people who cannot think for themselves and have now resorted to parroting a single source with a single perspective.
She is suggesting Fe users can't think for themselves and are mere Stepford Wives, programmed by other people's opinions.

"Gee, I have to take a crap. I have to consult my TRIBE to find out if I can flush the toilet."

"Gee, I don't know if I am for or against abortion, I have to consult my TRIBE to find out what I think."

stepford-bg.jpg

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
With Fi, there's this kind of taking something from the inside of yourself and bringing it out into the world to see. At its best, it can take an inner feeling of joy and radiate it out to everyone around, and its light dispels the shadows in others' hearts.

With Fe, the feeling is already out in the world, and an Fe user has the perspective of arranging this garden of feelings into its most appealing form.

I like this visualization best from this whole thread.

How people operate is frequently situational.
How someone is at work, will differ from how they are at home.
Any functional person can "suck up" a personal value in a given situation and opt to abide by socially accepted values.
That means someone who would normally "pipe up" in situation #1 could choose not to say anything in situation #2.

Well said.

Fi could just as well come to a similar conclusion, and it does lead to "caring" about others, because it's about universal values and can understand that wearing shorts might be offensive. That's why Fi is often portrayed as a weighing of values and importance.

THIS; thank you.

It's really one function, with a preferred and a suppressed orientation.

Two sides of the coin. Well said. I couldn't agree more. Not for theoretical reasons, but because that expresses my personal (admittedly unstudied) opinion on the subject.

I weigh the importance of my own feelings and the feelings of the outer world and choose according to what I think is the priority; for me personally it means I almost always put my own needs and feelings aside. Not that I'm so great or wonderful for doing this, and it's not always the healthiest choice, but it's just what I do. The perception that Fi (and thus the Fi user) is all about "Me, Me, Me - my priorities, my feelings, my needs FIRST" has always troubled me, because that's just not how I personally manifest in the world.

Of course, I think this would express uniquely in most Fi dominant individuals due to the inherently subjective nature of values in general.

Ironically, I have suppressed my own feelings for so long that now at this time in my life, when I have more time to direct what I want to do without as many external pressures, I find it hard to know what I feel and what I want to do. Talking about that would be a massive derail though; thanks to all who have persevered in this thread.

sim, I'm proud of you for expanding your understanding on the topic. Never stop questioning! Conclusions often masquerade as fact when in reality they are merely theories inadequately tested and are fluid rather than concrete, continually evolving and changing according to both our own personal knowledge and the collective knowledge gained by humanity at a particular point in time.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
"Gee, I have to take a crap. I have to consult my TRIBE to find out if I can flush the toilet."

"Gee, I don't know if I am for or against abortion, I have to consult my TRIBE to find out what I think." :rolleyes:
My mother is an ESFJ, and an uber-Fe user.

And, err, regarding her, the above statements would kinda hold true. :/

She is selfless, was raised to be selfless and completely and entirely family oriented.

She wants her loved ones to be happy, in fact, the state of her loved ones DEFINE her personal state.

It's beautiful but also kinda sad.

She will assert her personal opinion/desires, but rarely, and often they include, I want you to be more organized, I want you to be happy and successful, I'm tired, when you fight and are messy, it makes me so tired.

She will sometimes state, "I am hungry", but this desire is often cloaked in, are you hungry? What do you want to eat, I feel like going out, (meaning she doesn't feel like cooking), and then she'll ask, "where would you, or where should *we* go?"

Granted, my mother is basically all Fe, she hasn't developed any other functions.

What she wants?

Peace, and for all her loved ones to be happy, that would make her happy.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's funny how when people talk about a function on this forum, they don't actually have a definition that they are using and usually seem pretty unsure of their logic (or they are sure, but everyone's is different so meh). Everyone's explanation is different. In all of these Fi threads, I see Fi being spoken of but no one actually really saying what they think the definition is... it's no wonder people get so confused.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see where the nonsense is coming from.

I also see some people who cannot think for themselves and have now resorted to parroting a single source with a single perspective.
She is suggesting Fe users can't think for themselves and are mere Stepford Wives, programmed by other people's opinions.

"Gee, I don't know if I am for or against abortion, I have to consult my TRIBE to find out what I think."

stepford-bg.jpg

I think you are responding in the same level of extreme you're complaining about.

Whether or not I happen to agree with Lenore on these points, we're discussing more underlying broad amorphous trends/generalities, attitudes and ways of thinking -- not the level of specificity you consistently seem to straw-man your opposition to.

That being said, I suspect cog functions to be like light, having dual properties of waves and particles. Sometimes it's useful to discuss "Feeling" as introverted and extroverted functions, to highlight particular angles, but I don't know if in reality it's that demarcated.

I bump into this a lot dealing with religious family, who I think represent an exrtreme. I can label much of their behavior as "Fe" I guess, if I found that useful -- because they really DO reference external source/community/authority to determine their own values. How many times have I heard, "Well, the pastor told me to do it this way" or "so-and-so's book said this and she's a believer, so it's right?" Everything is communal. People worry constantly about what others think, or how they will be viewed, or whether they'll be an embarrassment to others if they do things on their own, or feel obligations to people outside their family who belong to their "tribe" and sometimes run themselves into the ground doing more than they can handle because "the community expects it, because it's morally what I need to do."

Individual values are really shunned for the group values. There is an over-identification of self with the group. What else should this style of thinking be called? (Edit: Ironically, I've just reread your mocking examples... and I kid you not, a lot of the religious people I know WILL and feel they MUST reference the group for example #2... and there's even a known minority that will take things to the extreme you mention in example #1. And these aren't robots! They're real people, and some of them really nice, kind, giving people who function perfectly well in society and raise stable families.)

... and yet the same people also have absorbed these values and/or share these values on an individual basis and thus help promote/pass along these values as their own. I'm not sure where the distinction is eventually, because eventually the persona of the community becomes the persona of the individual. Was there ever an individual? Would the persona exist without the community having driven it, or would the individual have expressed those values anyway? In any case, the things the community values become the things that resonate within the individual, and the things the community hates become the things that repulse the individual. Is this Fi? Or is it Fe imprinted on the individual? Or is there really no such distinction at all, just a weird complex sea of values and so we cannot distinguish between individuals and community so readily?

Honestly, all these cognitive function stuff is just a way to deconstruct a complex experience, just as there are three zillion ways we could use to "define a cat" (for example). As such, just like a cat is more than the sum of its parts, cognitive functions will be inadequate to fully and entirely describe the whole; it just focuses on particular issues and hopefully creates an important distinction that leads to some sort of understanding. The framework taken depends on the goal one has chosen.

Jaguar

for me personally it means I almost always put my own needs and feelings aside. Not that I'm so great or wonderful for doing this, and it's not always the healthiest choice, but it's just what I do. The perception that Fi (and thus the Fi user) is all about "Me, Me, Me - my priorities, my feelings, my needs FIRST" has always troubled me, because that's just not how I personally manifest in the world.

Sorry PB. I don't believe you. I have been programmed to believe only the words of Lenore Thomson.
Therefore you can't possibly think about anyone else's feelings except your own.
You are INFP. You are selfish and emo. Those are the "rules." :D

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I think it's funny how when people talk about a function on this forum, they don't actually have a definition that they are using and usually seem pretty unsure of their logic (or they are sure, but everyone's is different so meh). Everyone's explanation is different. In all of these Fi threads, I see Fi being spoken of but no one actually really saying what they think the definition is... it's no wonder people get so confused.

Indeed, so undefinable. How do you put this into words:

As for what Fi is, it's kind of like this:
00221917eae80acd44e607.jpg

You take this, and hold it close to your heart, and it warms you from the inside.

Best definition of Fi ever!

Sorry PB. I don't believe you. I have been programmed to believe only the words of Lenore Thomson.
Therefore you can't possibly think about anyone else's feelings except your own.
You are INFP. You are selfish and emo. Those are the "rules." :D

GASP - I must not be an INFP then!

:D you funny kitty. :hug:

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Indeed, so undefinable. How do you put this into words

I love this in typology books, too. They usually save Fi for last of the judging functions. After being quite clear about the others, suddenly it becomes "Fi is like Ti but feeling...," "it's the closest to the unconscious of the judging processes..." and "difficult to verbalize or explain."

I feel like they might as well say, "it's this judge-y thing, and it's all value-y and feeling-ish and internal, and it's like... err, it's sort of related to... umm... err... oh... screw it!"

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love this in typology books, too. They usually save Fi for last of the judging functions. After being quite clear about the others, suddenly it becomes "Fi is like Ti but feeling...," "it's the closest to the unconscious of the judging processes..." and "difficult to verbalize or explain."

I feel like they might as well say, "it's this judge-y thing, and it's all value-y and feeling-ish and internal, and it's like... err, it's sort of related to... umm... err... oh... screw it!"

How do you know you lead with it if no one has a definition? :harhar:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

#1: Process of elimination. :D If you have no idea what you are and you're not anything else you must be Fi! :doh:

#2: Read the manufacturing label stuck to your rump, silly. Everyone has one.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Easy... I'm all value-y and feeling-ish and internal, and it's like... err, it's sort of related to... umm... err... oh... screw it!