Thread: Baffled by Fi

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I can't help it if your lack of insight hinders your understanding. The NF's understand my posts quickly.
    Communication: An attempt by two people to understand each other.

I know I've been working my ass off to understand you and can't do better.
    If you don't want to invest from your end, or you can't do better, it's over.

At least you have the NFs to make you happy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

No no, you don't.
    Yes I do (you said that the people in this thread are abstracting others to the point where they don't have to honestly deal with them as individuals) but that doesn't change the fact that you're dismissive and tactless.
    Last edited by VagrantFarce; 02-18-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: removed insult
    Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

I know I've been working my ass off to understand you and can't do better.
    If you don't want to invest from your end, or you can't do better, it's over.
    At least you have the NFs to make you happy.
    My future ex-wife.
    The future is for the unafraid.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I'm noticing a bit of equating behaviors with cognitive functions, in this and other threads. One would be wise to recall that Keirsey came up with the concept of temperaments to help map MBTI to behaviors, precisely because the cognitive functions do not represent specific behaviors.

The cognitive functions, both "perceiving" and "judging" are better regarded as perspectives. When one adopts a particular set of these perspectives, there are indeed certain tendencies that can be observed as personality traits. One does not, however, "use" a cognitive function other than to arrive at one's own understanding.

For example, one does not "use Te" to organize one's desk. Rather, one sees a disorganized desk through the lens of Te, and then makes a decision to organize it. It is much like the maxim that if one's only tool is a hammer, then all of one's problems look like nails.

This goes for all of the functions. I suspect that my metaphorical description of Fi earlier in this thread struck a (happy) nerve with many Fi users, because they could read that, and think, "Yes, that's how I look at the world." From that perspective follows all sorts of possible behaviors, some of which are unique to Fi, but many of which are common to people who predominantly evaluate the world with other cognitive functions.

The reason I am making this clarification is because I was finding terms like "Fi user" and "Fe user" were leading me to conclusions that are not supported by MBTI analysis. (I have not used these terms/lenses other than in this forum: elsewhere I have treated a cognitive function as one of many properties of a person, not a descriptor.) Upon reading this terms here, I regarded them as placeholders for "person who has evaluated information with Fi", for example, but in common practice there is a lot of baggage attached, where "Fi user" simply brings to mind other connotations and contexts not addressed by MBTI or Jung.

The real clue to dealing with the behaviors related to Fi and Fe is that the conclusions that one reaches about a particular thing (event/idea/person/object) depend on the function by which one judges the thing. Fi and Fe judgments will sometimes reach similar conclusions and other times reach very different conclusions. Of interest are those conclusions that differ, and result in two people coming into conflict due to a difference in perception.

It's not an issue of an "Fi user" or an "Fe user" typically behaving badly (or well), but rather that choices made from an Fi context can seem "unjustified" in the Fe context, and vice versa. Sometimes sparks fly. (There is also the case where the bad behavior is just bad behavior, with virtually nothing to do with MBTI or Jung.)

Ideally, each can take a step back and consider the situation from the other's[/I] perspective, but usually this is rather difficult. I would like the focus of threads such as this to be explaining one's personal Fe/Fi perspective for the benefit of those who don't share that perspective. I find the back-and-forth crosstalk between those of different functions to be helpful with respect to identifying similar arguments/conflicts in my own life, but I would also like to see resolutions of these same conflicts.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My future ex-wife.
    I hope you're loaded because my lawyer just filed.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I hope you're loaded because my lawyer just filed.
    You will never get your hands on the Swiss bank account.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You will never get your hands on the Swiss bank account.
    Oh, so that IS your Swiss bank account?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh, so that IS your Swiss bank account?
    Busted.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Edit: The more time I spend here, the NF's continue to show me they are smarter than INTPs.
    They get the message in my posts but it goes right over your head, Vagrant.
    Congrats for striking out again.
    I wonder if you notice how consistently this kind of argument lines up across Fi/Te vs. Ti/Fe lines.

But I doubt it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I wonder if you notice how consistently this kind of argument lines up across Fi/Te vs. Ti/Fe lines.

But I doubt it.
    I'm ESFP, remember?