First of all, a disclaimer: I am new to MBTI and to this forum, I have been browsing through threads and did not immediately find anything on the issue, I am concerned with. So, if you guys have already discussed the issue below elsewhere or I am making the wrong assumptions about MBTI, please excuse me.
Anyway, the MBTI assumption of people being either E or I, N or S etc. seems to be valid for most of my entourage. Blackwater is very much ENTP, Economica and I are very much INTJ (even though I completely understand why people could mistake her for being E), Eco's boyfriend and Vortex are really ENFPs etc.
In general, the binarism of the four dimensions seems to be valid, most people are either one thing or the other, and there is very little doubt about what they are. Psychological mechanisms such as self-amplification (people do and improve at what they are already doing) can explain the binarism. The duality is very nice, we can then efficiently describe personalities and understand their social interaction between the various types.
But then, from time to time, I meet people that I have a really hard time classifying. :confused: Vortex has a best friend, we are pretty sure about this friend being F but the other dimensions escape us. I thought she was ENFP, Eco is fairly convinced she is ISFJ, Vortex believes her friend is xNFx but even though Vortex has known her friend since high school, she can't say for sure about the two remaining dimensions.
My concern is now, what does this mean for the MBTI binarism? If the binarism does indeed hold, with everybody being one thing or the other, then typology misclassifications may occur due to lack of knowledge or misunderstandings, but in general a large number of MBTI analysts should agree on the personality type of a specific individual.
So, what I would like to know, is this really what is happening? If a large number of analysts examines one individual, will, let's say 95 % of them or more, agree that this person is indeed e.g. ENFP? Or could it be that 45 % would say Sensing, while the remaining 55 % would pick N?
Do we have any statistics on this issue? I have seen a lot of data on scientists being mainly INxJs, policemen being all S etc, but I have not seen any statistics describing the classification of one specific individual by a large number of MBTI analysts. Please inform me, if you are aware of such statistics on the certitude of the MBTI classification of individuals.
I am sure that everyone (who knows him obviously) will agree that Eco's boyfriend is ENFP, but I could very well imagine that we would all totally disagree on Vortex' old friend. What does this mean? Could it be that most people are one thing or the other, but that some are in between? In that case, would it be more appropriate to describe people using percentages, e.g. 65 % N, 35 % S etc.?
Any thoughts or ideas on the subject are most appreciated.
Edit: We are sure about the type of Vortex, it is her friend that is uncertain.