User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default How do different types deal with emotion?

Just a few questions. I'm trying to figure something out about Thinking/Feeling types...

1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?

3. Do you:

A. Actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?

C. Enjoy dealing with emotions when they come along?

D. Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation?

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

B. Embarrassment or fear.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

E. Other (please explain).

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

D. Pain, anger, or sadness.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?

Understanding of results so far:

Randomnity -- Strong T, but tries to be tolerant of F.

Cascademn -- Shy/Moderate F, with reasonable T.

Kiddo -- T/F conflicted.

PinkPiranha -- Extreme F.

substitute -- Moderate T, has adequate F but simply prefers Thinking.

sassafrassquatch -- Extreme T, fiercely resists F. Displays strong negative emotion consciously, and little or no positive.

OctaviaCaesar -- Strong F, tries to use T occasionally.

niffer -- Weak F, unusually overwhelmed by suggestions of stronger emotion.

FDG -- Weak T, is oblivious to fine subtleties of F, but can appreciate it in general.

snegledmaca -- Strong T, tries to be tolerant of F.

tovlo -- Strong F.

DaRick -- T/F conflicted.

Merkw -- Strong T.

Cafe -- Weak F.

BlueWing -- Extreme T, logically adapts to F. Displays fully logic-derived responses on the conscious level.

nightining -- Moderate F.
    Last edited by Athenian200; 11-24-2007 at 12:25 PM.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yay a survey.
    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Just a few questions. I'm trying to figure something out about Thinking/Feeling types...

1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?
    Now mostly positive (but often conflicting). In the past it has been mostly negative.
    2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?
    see above.
    3. Do you:

No, but I am very cautious/doubting/paranoid in such circumstances.

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?
    yes, if you keep a fairly liberal view of "fairly well".
    Not really, unless they're positive.
    No.
    4. What do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others towards yourself?

A. Disgust.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

I'm not sure I understand. Why would I have a particular response to someone else's emotion? It bothers me greatly when people are upset with me, particularly if I care about them, but positive emotions don't need a response. Certainly I don't have any of the above emotions in response.
    5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
    It makes me slightly uncomfortable to have people tell me they care, unless in the context of a romantic relationship.
    6. What do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others towards yourself?
    A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

All of the above (except apathetic). It makes me anxious, angry at myself if warranted, and confused and very often angry at others if I feel it's unwarranted.
    7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
    no. But knowing that someone is holding a grudge and not telling me about it is sometimes enough to make me write off someone in disgust.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

A reasonable amount of both, but whatever the context, I find I have **extremely** strong feelings, and they can easily overwhelm me. When they're positive emotions, this isn't an issue - i.e. joy, peace, excitement, sensual.....I bask in my positive emotions. :-) When they're negative emotions, though, they can debilitate me so that I really have a hard time functioning til I work through them.

Yes - see above.

3. Do you:

In the past I've tried various options. I will sometimes try to push away or 'avoid' or 'ignore' negative emotions, but that never really works. Just makes it worse, or just makes things build up. I don't believe I overlook/undervalue emotions, ever, as I put quite a lot of stock in my emotional state; however, that said, I also recognize when they're more transient and nothing I really need to get worked up over (i.e. hormonal stuff, or just being in an irritable mood on a given day due to lack of sleep, or whatever).....vs. when theyr'e something I really need to pay attention to.

I'd say with positive emotions, I just enjoy them to the fullest and freely express my positive emotions. So, option C for positive emotions. With negative emotions (when they're not the transient ones), it's always D - I always actively seek to deal with the emotions, and 'study' them.

4. What do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

Positive emotions from others towards myself...it would be D in platonic relationships, but in romantic ones I think I have a history of feeling Fear.

And perhaps a slight bit of embarrassment depending on the situation.

Not really sure, but probably I'd be more embarrassed if I think the person is being overly gushing or fawning, or demonstrative, or if I think there's any hint of insincerity or 'kissing up'.

6. What do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others towards yourself?

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

Mostly anxiety, which leads to pain and confusion and sadness. :-) hehe...all of the above, but definitely NOT indifference and NOT apathy. That is, if I'm understanding your question - I read it in the context of other people having negative responses directed at me and against my character.

Hmm....I almost think implicit expression would be worse, because I'd read too many things into it that might not be accurate, whereas explicit would at least get everything out in the open and my imagination wouldn't fill in the gaps.

MBTI
    OMNi

When I was younger, people used to make it a game to get a reaction out of me and so a lot of my initial experiences with emotion are negative. However as I have gotten older I have found my emotions to be an excellent guide of how I am at the moment and where I need to go. They have been a positive contributor to my personal growth. So I would say a reasonable mixture of both.

Mostly negative. When I was younger I didn't have the grasp of reason to deal with how I felt. I was incredibly sensitive and a perfectionist. So if I ever felt inadequate or like I had failed then my emotions would take over and it would lead to terribly negative experiences.

3. Do you:

No, I spend a great deal of time trying to interpret why I feel the way I feel.

There are often times when I'll ignore my gut feelings about situations and people and will then regret it, but for the most part I think I overvalue my emotions.

It's hard work. There aren't words or ideas to describe how I feel some days.

Yes, because if I ignore them, they will come to bite me in the ass.

A. Disgust.

Never.

Often.

C. Curiosity.

Often.

D. Warmth/compassion.

Sometimes.

If it is implicit, I would be more prone toward feeling warmth and compassion, but if it is explicit, then I would be more embarrassed and curious.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

I feel this way with family members who chronically whine and complain about everything.

B. Confusion.

Not usually.

C. Anxiety.

Very often.

Usually.

I usually feel inadequate or like if they knew the real me or my intentions then they wouldn't feel that way.

I'll become incredibly defensive if it is explicitly expressed. However, if it implicitly suggested, I'll feel like trash for hours if not days and withdraw.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. Why would I have a particular response to someone else's emotion? It bothers me greatly when people are upset with me, particularly if I care about them, but positive emotions don't need a response. Certainly I don't have any of the above emotions in response.
    There's no particular reason you should... it's just that the possibility of not having a particular response didn't cross my mind the first time. (Interestingly, it did cross my mind for negative emotions...)

So what I'm hearing is, Indifference/Apathy to positive emotion, and possibly embarrassment with regard to explicit positive emotion, correct?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Both, but mostly negative.

Yes.

3. Do you:

C and D? Can I do both? What if I have a little "A" thrown in, too?

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.
    B, C, and D. Never A, unless it's a perv.

No.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

B and D. As a communicator, it's a big failing for me to experience a misunderstanding.

It might. I don't dictate feedback format, as everyone has a different style and you can't expect folks to act a certain way just because you do. However, I prefer aggression to be open and clear. I look at passive aggressive people like ticking time bombs, I don't trust them, and I certainly don't enjoy them.
    Last edited by Domino; 11-23-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: because I'm the slow lab rat! geez. ha ha!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

So what I'm hearing is, Indifference/Apathy to positive emotion, and possibly embarrassment with regard to explicit positive emotion, correct?
    Yes. I'll add that positive emotion explicitly presented by someone I dislike makes me extremely uncomfortable and conflicted as well. And in the context of a relationship/very close friendship positive emotion makes me 'warm' and happy but not compassionate. It's more in general that I don't feel all that much, unless the strength of the emotion is large. I tend to take it for granted that people see me relatively positively.

Are you going to answer as well?

I'm also curious to see the other Ts' responses. Interesting that it's been mostly Fs so far.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Both, actually.
    Yes.
    3. Do you:

Most of the time, C. Occasionally B or D.

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

Mostly D.
    Almost always D in response to implicit, and most of the time in response to explicit, unless it's extremely overflowing/gushing and draws attention to me, in which case it would be B.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

If I care about the person, D. If I already dislike the person or feel a strong need to control the outcome, A. C is mostly if the person is in a position of power/influence over me, and I'm concerned about whether they will do something to my reputation. B is mostly if I don't perceive the emotion they reacted to.
    Yes. I'm more likely to feel A or D in response to explicit negative emotion. B or C are more likely if it's implicit.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Good on an ISTP for answering right away!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    No, but then again, I'm already a very deep abyss of emotion so adding more to it can make me feel like I'm being swallowed by a giant snake.

I'm the opposite. I can be overmastered by emotion to the point of illness, and no, it's not voluntary, whether I resist or flow with it. If an emotion has somehow gotten past me to the point where someone else brings it up to me, it makes me feel ambushed. Emotion is my currency -- how any of it slips past my radar is unnerving, so I don't always handle emotional correction with strict composure.

Failure....
    Um... you misunderstood question 4 and 6. I was asking which of those emotions you tend to experience in response to negative or positive emotions from other people. I'm sorry about that, I should have made it clearer and more specific.