• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do different types deal with emotion?

MerkW

1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?
Mostly negative, but some of both, really.

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?
Yes, but my negative emotions are much more obvious for the casual observer. I have a very hard time displaying positive emotions, even if I feel them quite strongly.

3. Do you:

A. Actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?

C. Enjoy dealing with emotions when they come along?

D. Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation?​
Usually A and B, occasionally C, but almost never D

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

B. Embarrassment or fear.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

E. Other (please explain).​
E. It really depends on the specific person who is expressing the emotion, as well as the context, internal and external circumstance, etc. It is quite situational.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
Probably not to any noticable degree.

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

D. Pain, anger, or sadness.

Usually either C or A, but occasionally D. Again, it all depends on the person. Sometimes, depending on the person, I might even be mildly amused by their negative emotional expression.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
Not really.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sorry, how is being emotionally positive and open to emotions linked to being a thinking type?

It isn't, really. But you seem to believe you are a Thinking type, and you can be more direct than many Feeling types... Honestly, you could easily be a weak F as well. If it weren't for your claim to have a T preference, I might have seen it that way.

The point is, your extraversion or perhaps a weaker T preference could be contributing to your unusual ability to handle emotion well. (Most of other T's fell along anticipated lines, but you didn't.) Also, most people with a perceiving function dominant tended to be less pronounced in their preference than those who had a Judging function dominant. You're an important, if somewhat confusing, exception...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?
Slightly more negative than positive.
2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past? yes

3. Do you:

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?
This would be my default reaction, but I've learned that it's not such a good idea to overlook them, so I try to be aware of them and address them as they come up.

D. Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation?

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

E. Other (please explain). It really depends on the situation. If it is someone I'm close to and trust, then I may feel embarassed, but pleased. If it is someone I don't know well or have reason not to trust, I may become suspicious.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? Context is what matters most to me. Is it in character for the person expressing the emotion?

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

E. Other (please explain).

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? Yes. If it's implicitly expressed I'm more likely to feel confused. If it's explicitly expressed, I'm more likely to react with defensive anger.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both? .

Neither. By the time I get around to process emotion, most of it will have withered away.

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?.

I downplay them. The way my inner motives manifest has little to do with 'emotion'

3. Do you:

A.
Actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?

Dont need to avoid such situations if I can simply detach from them. Disregard the emotional aspect of the scenario, if necessary by focusing on Thinking as much as possible. This is preferred to avoiding such situations because I could still extract T material of value from them.

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention??

To a great extent.

C. Enjoy dealing with emotions when they come along???

D.
Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation

Hell no...

Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

?]??

If it does have merit than often D. If that is unclear, yet still appears it may, then likely C. In most cases A. The former is often Fi. The latter tends to be either Ni-Fe or Ne-Fi. Dominant Fes tend to end up in the last of these three slots.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?]?]??

No, the only thing that matters is that it has substance, how it is expressed is irrelevant as that only alters the appearance and not essence.

A. Indifference/Apathy

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

?]?]??

E--seperate myself, and let it wither away.​

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
DATA... I'll add mine to the pot

Experience of emotion is both... except recall for negative ones significantly stronger than recall of positive.

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?
Sure. Doesn't every one experience this sometimes?

3. Do you:

a. No, unless the emotion makes me feel sick.
b. I don't overlook it... I want to cut back on excessive emotions though
c. That depends on which type of emotion doesn't it?
d. Not when it's my own emotions. The more I poke at it, the more confused I get.

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

C & D

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
Implicitly expressed emotions tend to trigger curiosity more often only because it's more likely to deviate from normal response.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

Confusion followed by pain... that may later to covered up by apathy. As to anger... if it's irrational, it doesn't go away readily.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
No. The degree of response can change, but the general response doesn't.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Answers in bold.

1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both? Its unbounded. I can experience the greatets joy, and I can also feel completely worthless. These different emotions are set off pretty easily, and can change pretty easily too. Its not like mood swings, its just that I might focus my mind of some thoughts and I'll get hung up on them...

Yes, both positive and negative.

3. Do you:

C. Enjoy dealing with emotions when they come along? I get kind of a weird pleasure in analysing my emotions. the exception to this is frustration, it is just a pain. Its almost like a non-human emotion.

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion. But that question is kind of worded in a weird way, so I'm not sure if I totally get it.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? I don't think it does too much. Sometimes I'm curious. Like... when my parents say they are proud of me I ask "why?". I don't feel as if I've done anything yet to be proud of.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion. I wonder what I did. This usually leads to some anxiety for alittle bit.

C. Anxiety.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? I don't think it changes, no

Atomic Fiend

A reasonable amount of both. In fact it may be a fair balance.

If you mean as cleansing acts, and misplaced bouts of rage? Then yes.

3. Do you:

It depends on the situation I'm in, If there are many people around, I'd rather not.

Once I'm aware, I'll Always try to deal with it.

Sometimes.

To get them out of the way, out of fear that they will return to haunt me at a later date.

D. Warmth/compassion.
Though as a male I would never admit it, I do appreciate positive emotion toward myself.

No.

Anxiety.

Yes, as I can ignore someone hates my guts, but doesn't state it.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
1. Both. Sometimes I get extremely negative and extremely positive emotions switching back and forth some days. Those days are far worse than days of just feeling down. But for the most part, both/neutral with a small amount of general positive emotion in the background (probably due to the relief of not feeling anything strong in particular).

2. Yes.

3a. Most of the time, no. Sometimes, yes. I tend to actively avoid anything dealing with excessive emotions with people I don't know very well or very public situations. Because 1) people think I'm weird and avoid me or 2) I embarrass myself because people start paying more attention to me.

3b. No. But yes to the last part, provided someone isn't gushing all over the place.

3c. Enjoy? I don't know. Depends on the situation. Sometimes it can be a mental-emotional exercise, sometimes it can be like trying to swim with cinder blocks for feet.

3d. Yes. How someone feels about something is just as important to me as what someone thinks about something.

4. Provided we are talking about someone I know well and feel comfortable with, D and C regardless of what is expressed. Provided we are talking about some random person expressing mildly positive emotions, D and C. But if we are talking about someone I don't know well gushing out compliments right and left or being way, way too "in-your-face friendly" (and I have met some people like this), all of the above all at once. People who say, "Hi!!!!! I'm [insert name]!!!!!!! How are you???!!!!???111oneoneone" and I don't know them, tend to frighten me.

5. No.

6. B, C, and D all at once.

7. No.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1. I'd have to say that I am not a big fan of experiencing emotions- and even less so of expressing them- I associate emotions with negative experiences and therefore I think of unplesant emotions when I think of emotions

2. I don't express emotions if I can avoid it (with the unfortunate exceptions of suddenly losing my temper or even more infrequently starting to cry)

3. I would say that I actively avoid anything dealing with emotions- I don't express mine and I feel akward around other people who express thiers because I often say the wrong thing to them (though I offer to find them a cup of tea or help them seek revenge! :D)

4. I'd have to choose curiosity- not being an emotional person myself, I find emotions in others to be somewhat fascinating- positive ones please me and negative ones piss me off, but I'm always curious as to WHY they're expressing emotions! :D

5. :blush: I'm not good at picking up on emotions- I probably wouldn't get it if it was implicitly expressed!

6. Anger and confusion! why on earth are they expressing a negative emotion at me and how dare they? :D

7. read #5

for an example of how emotionally inept I am- I was out at dinner with some friends and thier fiances and I'd just been through a bad breakup and was rather tired from having been out late the night before. Someone asked me about my ex and out of nowhere I started to cry (yes- this confused me!) and everyone was somewhat shocked. Finally, my friends fiance said "wow! I guess you really are a real girl!"

yeah- sad, but true :blush:

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?

Neither. My experience of emotion is just that, emotion. It is neither positive or negative until I judge it so, usually by some cognitive process.

Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?

In the past I used to more often judge my own emotions and so experience them as positive or negative. These days I prefer to feel them and accept them as they are as it seems a gentler and more loving way, and I value that.

Do you actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?

No, quite the opposite in fact.

Do you find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?

No. I do not deal with my emotions - I experience them as they arise and (try to) accept them as they are. I am almost always intimately aware of my emotional state.

Do you rnjoy dealing with emotions when they come along?

I enjoy the experience of them, even the ones that hurt, because their free flow is a sign of health to me.

Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation?

I feel what I feel. To try and deny or redirect that energy seems harmful to me. That said, I do have some conscious control of my external expression regardless of my internal experience, but this is weak at best. People can perceive my emotional presentation accurately enough, or so the feedback seems.

What do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

I experience warmth, pleasure, energy, and tenderheartedness when positive emotion is directed toward my person.

Does your response to the above change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed?

Not particularly.

What do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

I experience pain, sadness, anxiety, and a feeling that is some combination of patience and wanting to soothe.

Does your response to the above change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed?

Not particularly.

cheers,
Ian

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Positive for the most part, little negative. ,

More of a mixed bag in the past, still inclining on the positive side.

3. Do you:

I search for situations that have at least some emotional content, but I want my things to be correct, so I don't search those situations where emotions lead people to bad actions or impair person's judgement. I recognize and value my feelings in all the queit.. My feelings are a whisper. I dislike seeing immaturely expressed feelings and being around such persons. Sometimes people are emotional over an issue where they feel helplessness or they essentially lack knowledge.. and I find that myself thinking, if he would only know more about it, he wouldn't act so silly. I often find myself comforting someone emphatetically and listening to them, and I try find some time to listen to them if I notice the need.

D. Warmth/compassion.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? No, except that I think that explicit expressions may be a bit more for looks and impression rather than wanting to do something personally. I still feel answer the same, regardless.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

I will be more worried about hidden negativity towards myself.​

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
Just a few questions. I'm trying to figure something out about Thinking/Feeling types...

Reasonable amount of both.

Certainly, but I dislike emotional outbursts and usually steer my emotions so they'll have some sort of use if at all possible. Positive ways might include succesful manipulation of a situation, negative ones might include hurting a hand or other body part while slamming it into something in frustration.

3. Do you:

In regards to myself, I file painful things away until I'm ready to deal with them, in regards to others, I'm always there to help deal with and overcome emotional problems and obstacles if they let me.

yes and yes

No. Emotions prevent me from seeing myself or a situation as clearly as I would like, but I do enjoy the insights I get from analysing my emotions.

I'm not sure what that means. If I'm comfortable with others I'll help them deal with their emotions if possible, if on my own, I swallow my emotions until the opportune time to examine them/get revenge (j/k about the last one. Almost)

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

It could be every one of the depending on whomever was expressing positive emotions towards me. D if it's someone I know very well, C otherwise. I want to know why somebody wants to express positive emotions towards me.

No, although A might be a bit more prevalent in the explicit expression.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

E. I become immensely annoyed, since I don't understand why the hell somebody wouldn't find me likeable. That would translate into B, perhaps followed by C or D depending on how highly I'd rated the person.

I get pissed off more quickly if it's explicit. That ruins the whole game of understanding.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Just a few questions. I'm trying to figure something out about Thinking/Feeling types...

It really depends on how I am using my emotions. In many instances, an experience of emotion is positive because I am using it to empathize with another person or perhaps using my empathy to help someone out of a bind. Empathy, in general, I feel as a positive emotion and one that is lacking a bit in this world. (How INFJ of me, haha) However, when my anger surfaces or I am arguing something I feel strongly about, I feel my emotions taking a more negative turn. When I feel my own personal emotions about someone (I suppose more in a Fi than Fe way is the best way to describe it), I tend to view them as a bit more negative though and sometimes I'll take them into analyzation mode. I do this when I develop crushes on people as well. I usually view it as negative because I may lose control of how I feel & I dislike that. It's only been with the last couple guys I've dated (and with the current one) that I've started to open up & let myself feel a bit more.

I explained it a bit above, but yes.

3. Do you:

This is tough, as I feel it is situation dependent (this is my general qualm with a lot of MBTI tests too). I can say for sure that I do not fit with A. If I am focused on a project, I will fit B. I don't mind C, but it depends on the type of emotions. I have problems dealing with very self centered emotions because I do not tend to feel emotions that way. Hysterically, inconsolable, irrational, emotional people tend to give me a negative impression. I do fit D, so I suppose that will be my choice. When mediating a situation, I normally go at it from a diplomatic, feelings based approach. This seems to be my push over to the F side instead of the T side in MBTI tests, too.

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

I'll feel A if someone is interested in me in a romantic way & I have no interest in them (irritation, not disgust). That's not a good thing, I know. Mainly I feel C at first and then I progress into D once the person has proved to be genuine and trustworthy.

I tend to get uncomfortable with very direct emotion if I do not feel the same way or if I am not yet comfortable with someone. When positive emotion is expressed, I guess it is better to express it implicitly with me - at least at first. Once I'm settled in & comfortable, I am much more open to explicit displays of emotion.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

B, C, and D... in that order. The only time I ever feel A is when the person has throughly hurt me & I've since shut them out of my life. Even so, if I hear the person speaking negatively of me, it'll sting a little.

The more explicit the negative emotion, the more I feel C. However, the more implicitly that emotion is stated, the more I am apt to be angry (and I guess go straight into D without the pain & sadness). I do not have much patience when negative emotions are expressed passively.

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

In general, I have a negative experiences with emotion. The idea that I might be guided by emotion, good or bad, and lose sight of logic fills me with great anxiety. Thus, when I feel things, I compulsively quash them out of fear that they will take over my decision making.

Yes, but more negative than positive. I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder a few years back, in addition to other psychological disorders.

3. Do you:

Yes. I've considered breaking up with my boyfriend who I love dearly simply because he causes me to feel happiness.

I tend to diminish my own emotions as much as possible, first unconsciously, then if I realize what I'm doing, I try to logically analyze the situation until 1) the emotion is at a safe level or 2) it can be willed out of my thoughts to a great extent. I'm okay with emotions if I can control them. It's okay to feel them if I have the option of making them go away whenever I want.

No. I dislike this.

If by "deal with" you mean "suppress" then sure. Otherwise, no. I will resolve situations so they stop generating emotion.

A. Disgust/irritation.

Once in a while, depending on context.

Less fear and more mild wariness. I suppose that is a kind of fear, though. If it is displayed publically, I feel some embarrassment.

C. Curiosity.

Not really.

D. Warmth/compassion.

No.

Generally I am unresponsive. I'm not highly affected by praise or criticism.

With the exception of public praise, which embarrasses me, I'm fairly unresponsive to explicit and implicit emotion.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

This almost always.

B. Confusion.

Nope.

C. Anxiety.

Not really.

If I feel I'm going to be unjustly denied something because of the negative emotion, I may feel anger.

Again, it's more a matter of how the emotion will affect other things. If something of mine is given a bad review, I will evaluate the review to find advice I can use, then discard the rest. If, because of this review, I am not given a job or something like that, I may become angry.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj

It always varies depending on was happening, I say is 50/50 with too many extrems for my own taste

Yes

3. Do you:

A. I try to control my emotions because I feel like they drive me. So I try to keep them under control

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

D. It makes me feel real good and warm inside and puts a smile in my face.

Yes it does, if I feel like you are not telling me this from the heart than I put no value on your comments.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

I get a few different ones; I first get offended than I find out why they feel that way, than I feel kind of sad and than it might turn to anger if I cannot "click" with that person, mostly I feel indifference.

Of course, to me emoiions is what keeps you alive. If the person tells me that they don't like me but show no emotion I am not sure if I should take them seriously. If they do (depending on the type of emotuion they show)
than my feeling towards their words might change.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It depends on the context of the emotion, as well as the emotion itself.

yes... the full range. Usually my emotions tend to be on the negative/melancholy/disappointed side. Positives are fewer.

3A. Actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?

I treasure internalized emotion because it fuels my insight and art as part of the experience of being human.

I usually feel overwhelmed by OTHER people's emotions, however, especially if it is aimed at me. I need space.

I look at it as another data stream that is trying to tell me something about being human. If it is irrelevant to a decision I have to make, I ignore it.

I don't like emoting, but I enjoy savoring them internally and exploring them.

If they are emotions coming from someone else, I usually try to minimize them. If they are mine, I will savor them internally.

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself? A. Disgust/irritation.

If the positive emotion seems unreasonable or too strong for the situation, I feel irritated and grossed out. Smarmy people or gushy people sometimes often make me ill.

A bit of embarrassment due to the attention being drawn to me. No fear.

C. Curiosity.
Not really.

D. Warmth/compassion.
Only if the positive emotion is reciprocal or appropriate to what they're excited about.

The more explicit is, the worse it is. The more implicit it is (or understated), the better. I think part of this is actual nervous system wiring in me -- I am physically sensitive to stimulation and have times during the day when I literally have to close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears if someone is talking too loud nearby, or I want to scream.

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself? A. Indifference/Apathy.

If I don't know them at all and I have no relationship/impact from their criticism (and/or I am just tired or overwhelmed and can't spare the attention to think about it), then I will ignore them.

B. Confusion.
"What did I do wrong?" Yes, sometimes.

C. Anxiety.
Probably the worst -- bone-crushing anxiety if it's someone who knows me. I feel like they will reject me or look at me as defective/bad in some way, and I feel lots of shame.

Depends on the person and situation. I can get very angry if I feel I am being judged unfairly, or someone is spreading lies about my intentions.

Actually, I am much more sensitive to implicit negative emotion. Even the hint of a negative emotion gets my hackles up, unfortunately... :( I sense disappointment and criticism and displeasure of me from a mile away...