User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?
    Neither. My experience of emotion is just that, emotion. It is neither positive or negative until I judge it so, usually by some cognitive process.

Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?
    In the past I used to more often judge my own emotions and so experience them as positive or negative. These days I prefer to feel them and accept them as they are as it seems a gentler and more loving way, and I value that.

Do you actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?
    No, quite the opposite in fact.

Do you find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?
    No. I do not deal with my emotions - I experience them as they arise and (try to) accept them as they are. I am almost always intimately aware of my emotional state.

Do you rnjoy dealing with emotions when they come along?
    I enjoy the experience of them, even the ones that hurt, because their free flow is a sign of health to me.

Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation?
    I feel what I feel. To try and deny or redirect that energy seems harmful to me. That said, I do have some conscious control of my external expression regardless of my internal experience, but this is weak at best. People can perceive my emotional presentation accurately enough, or so the feedback seems.

What do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?
    I experience warmth, pleasure, energy, and tenderheartedness when positive emotion is directed toward my person.

Does your response to the above change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed?
    Not particularly.

What do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?
    I experience pain, sadness, anxiety, and a feeling that is some combination of patience and wanting to soothe.

Does your response to the above change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed?
    Not particularly.

cheers,
    Ian

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?
    Positive for the most part, little negative. ,

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?
    More of a mixed bag in the past, still inclining on the positive side.

3. Do you:

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?

I search for situations that have at least some emotional content, but I want my things to be correct, so I don't search those situations where emotions lead people to bad actions or impair person's judgement. I recognize and value my feelings in all the queit.. My feelings are a whisper. I dislike seeing immaturely expressed feelings and being around such persons. Sometimes people are emotional over an issue where they feel helplessness or they essentially lack knowledge.. and I find that myself thinking, if he would only know more about it, he wouldn't act so silly. I often find myself comforting someone emphatetically and listening to them, and I try find some time to listen to them if I notice the need.

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?
    D. Warmth/compassion.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? No, except that I think that explicit expressions may be a bit more for looks and impression rather than wanting to do something personally. I still feel answer the same, regardless.

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

[INDENT]A. Indifference/Apathy.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
    I will be more worried about hidden negativity towards myself.

MBTI
    WOLF

Just a few questions. I'm trying to figure something out about Thinking/Feeling types...

1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?
    Reasonable amount of both.

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?
    Certainly, but I dislike emotional outbursts and usually steer my emotions so they'll have some sort of use if at all possible. Positive ways might include succesful manipulation of a situation, negative ones might include hurting a hand or other body part while slamming it into something in frustration.

3. Do you:

A. Actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?

In regards to myself, I file painful things away until I'm ready to deal with them, in regards to others, I'm always there to help deal with and overcome emotional problems and obstacles if they let me.

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?
    yes and yes

C. Enjoy dealing with emotions when they come along?
    No. Emotions prevent me from seeing myself or a situation as clearly as I would like, but I do enjoy the insights I get from analysing my emotions.

D. Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation?
    I'm not sure what that means. If I'm comfortable with others I'll help them deal with their emotions if possible, if on my own, I swallow my emotions until the opportune time to examine them/get revenge (j/k about the last one. Almost)

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

B. Embarrassment or fear.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

E. Other (please explain).
    It could be every one of the depending on whomever was expressing positive emotions towards me. D if it's someone I know very well, C otherwise. I want to know why somebody wants to express positive emotions towards me.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
    No, although A might be a bit more prevalent in the explicit expression.

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

D. Pain, anger, or sadness.

E. I become immensely annoyed, since I don't understand why the hell somebody wouldn't find me likeable. That would translate into B, perhaps followed by C or D depending on how highly I'd rated the person.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
    I get pissed off more quickly if it's explicit. That ruins the whole game of understanding.

MBTI
    INFJ

Just a few questions. I'm trying to figure something out about Thinking/Feeling types...

It really depends on how I am using my emotions. In many instances, an experience of emotion is positive because I am using it to empathize with another person or perhaps using my empathy to help someone out of a bind. Empathy, in general, I feel as a positive emotion and one that is lacking a bit in this world. (How INFJ of me, haha) However, when my anger surfaces or I am arguing something I feel strongly about, I feel my emotions taking a more negative turn. When I feel my own personal emotions about someone (I suppose more in a Fi than Fe way is the best way to describe it), I tend to view them as a bit more negative though and sometimes I'll take them into analyzation mode. I do this when I develop crushes on people as well. I usually view it as negative because I may lose control of how I feel & I dislike that. It's only been with the last couple guys I've dated (and with the current one) that I've started to open up & let myself feel a bit more.

I explained it a bit above, but yes.

3. Do you:

This is tough, as I feel it is situation dependent (this is my general qualm with a lot of MBTI tests too). I can say for sure that I do not fit with A. If I am focused on a project, I will fit B. I don't mind C, but it depends on the type of emotions. I have problems dealing with very self centered emotions because I do not tend to feel emotions that way. Hysterically, inconsolable, irrational, emotional people tend to give me a negative impression. I do fit D, so I suppose that will be my choice. When mediating a situation, I normally go at it from a diplomatic, feelings based approach. This seems to be my push over to the F side instead of the T side in MBTI tests, too.

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

I'll feel A if someone is interested in me in a romantic way & I have no interest in them (irritation, not disgust). That's not a good thing, I know. Mainly I feel C at first and then I progress into D once the person has proved to be genuine and trustworthy.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
    I tend to get uncomfortable with very direct emotion if I do not feel the same way or if I am not yet comfortable with someone. When positive emotion is expressed, I guess it is better to express it implicitly with me - at least at first. Once I'm settled in & comfortable, I am much more open to explicit displays of emotion.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

B, C, and D... in that order. The only time I ever feel A is when the person has throughly hurt me & I've since shut them out of my life. Even so, if I hear the person speaking negatively of me, it'll sting a little.

The more explicit the negative emotion, the more I feel C. However, the more implicitly that emotion is stated, the more I am apt to be angry (and I guess go straight into D without the pain & sadness). I do not have much patience when negative emotions are expressed passively.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

In general, I have a negative experiences with emotion. The idea that I might be guided by emotion, good or bad, and lose sight of logic fills me with great anxiety. Thus, when I feel things, I compulsively quash them out of fear that they will take over my decision making.

Yes, but more negative than positive. I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder a few years back, in addition to other psychological disorders.

3. Do you:

Yes. I've considered breaking up with my boyfriend who I love dearly simply because he causes me to feel happiness.

I tend to diminish my own emotions as much as possible, first unconsciously, then if I realize what I'm doing, I try to logically analyze the situation until 1) the emotion is at a safe level or 2) it can be willed out of my thoughts to a great extent. I'm okay with emotions if I can control them. It's okay to feel them if I have the option of making them go away whenever I want.

No. I dislike this.

If by "deal with" you mean "suppress" then sure. Otherwise, no. I will resolve situations so they stop generating emotion.

A. Disgust/irritation.

Once in a while, depending on context.

Less fear and more mild wariness. I suppose that is a kind of fear, though. If it is displayed publically, I feel some embarrassment.

C. Curiosity.

Not really.

D. Warmth/compassion.

No.

Generally I am unresponsive. I'm not highly affected by praise or criticism.

With the exception of public praise, which embarrasses me, I'm fairly unresponsive to explicit and implicit emotion.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

This almost always.

B. Confusion.

Nope.

C. Anxiety.

Not really.

If I feel I'm going to be unjustly denied something because of the negative emotion, I may feel anger.

Again, it's more a matter of how the emotion will affect other things. If something of mine is given a bad review, I will evaluate the review to find advice I can use, then discard the rest. If, because of this review, I am not given a job or something like that, I may become angry.
    "Having is not such a pleasing thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." --Spock

MBTI: INTP
    Enneagram: 5w6 - SP/SX
    Oldham: Solitary, Idiosyncratic

MBTI
    ENFj

It always varies depending on was happening, I say is 50/50 with too many extrems for my own taste

Yes

3. Do you:

A. I try to control my emotions because I feel like they drive me. So I try to keep them under control

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

D. It makes me feel real good and warm inside and puts a smile in my face.

Yes it does, if I feel like you are not telling me this from the heart than I put no value on your comments.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

I get a few different ones; I first get offended than I find out why they feel that way, than I feel kind of sad and than it might turn to anger if I cannot "click" with that person, mostly I feel indifference.

Of course, to me emoiions is what keeps you alive. If the person tells me that they don't like me but show no emotion I am not sure if I should take them seriously. If they do (depending on the type of emotuion they show)
    than my feeling towards their words might change.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It depends on the context of the emotion, as well as the emotion itself.

yes... the full range. Usually my emotions tend to be on the negative/melancholy/disappointed side. Positives are fewer.

3A. Actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?
    I treasure internalized emotion because it fuels my insight and art as part of the experience of being human.

I usually feel overwhelmed by OTHER people's emotions, however, especially if it is aimed at me. I need space.

I look at it as another data stream that is trying to tell me something about being human. If it is irrelevant to a decision I have to make, I ignore it.

I don't like emoting, but I enjoy savoring them internally and exploring them.

If they are emotions coming from someone else, I usually try to minimize them. If they are mine, I will savor them internally.

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself? A. Disgust/irritation.
    If the positive emotion seems unreasonable or too strong for the situation, I feel irritated and grossed out. Smarmy people or gushy people sometimes often make me ill.

A bit of embarrassment due to the attention being drawn to me. No fear.

C. Curiosity.
    Not really.

D. Warmth/compassion.
    Only if the positive emotion is reciprocal or appropriate to what they're excited about.

The more explicit is, the worse it is. The more implicit it is (or understated), the better. I think part of this is actual nervous system wiring in me -- I am physically sensitive to stimulation and have times during the day when I literally have to close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears if someone is talking too loud nearby, or I want to scream.

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself? A. Indifference/Apathy.
    If I don't know them at all and I have no relationship/impact from their criticism (and/or I am just tired or overwhelmed and can't spare the attention to think about it), then I will ignore them.

B. Confusion.
    "What did I do wrong?" Yes, sometimes.

C. Anxiety.
    Probably the worst -- bone-crushing anxiety if it's someone who knows me. I feel like they will reject me or look at me as defective/bad in some way, and I feel lots of shame.

Depends on the person and situation. I can get very angry if I feel I am being judged unfairly, or someone is spreading lies about my intentions.

Actually, I am much more sensitive to implicit negative emotion. Even the hint of a negative emotion gets my hackles up, unfortunately... I sense disappointment and criticism and displeasure of me from a mile away...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft