User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?
    Mostly negative, but some of both, really.

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?
    Yes, but my negative emotions are much more obvious for the casual observer. I have a very hard time displaying positive emotions, even if I feel them quite strongly.

3. Do you:

A. Actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?

C. Enjoy dealing with emotions when they come along?

D. Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation?
    Usually A and B, occasionally C, but almost never D

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

B. Embarrassment or fear.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

E. Other (please explain).
    E. It really depends on the specific person who is expressing the emotion, as well as the context, internal and external circumstance, etc. It is quite situational.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
    Probably not to any noticable degree.

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

D. Pain, anger, or sadness.

Usually either C or A, but occasionally D. Again, it all depends on the person. Sometimes, depending on the person, I might even be mildly amused by their negative emotional expression.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
    Not really.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Sorry, how is being emotionally positive and open to emotions linked to being a thinking type?
    It isn't, really. But you seem to believe you are a Thinking type, and you can be more direct than many Feeling types... Honestly, you could easily be a weak F as well. If it weren't for your claim to have a T preference, I might have seen it that way.

The point is, your extraversion or perhaps a weaker T preference could be contributing to your unusual ability to handle emotion well. (Most of other T's fell along anticipated lines, but you didn't.) Also, most people with a perceiving function dominant tended to be less pronounced in their preference than those who had a Judging function dominant. You're an important, if somewhat confusing, exception...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?
    Slightly more negative than positive.
    2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past? yes

3. Do you:

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?
    This would be my default reaction, but I've learned that it's not such a good idea to overlook them, so I try to be aware of them and address them as they come up.

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

E. Other (please explain). It really depends on the situation. If it is someone I'm close to and trust, then I may feel embarassed, but pleased. If it is someone I don't know well or have reason not to trust, I may become suspicious.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? Context is what matters most to me. Is it in character for the person expressing the emotion?

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? Yes. If it's implicitly expressed I'm more likely to feel confused. If it's explicitly expressed, I'm more likely to react with defensive anger.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both? .
    Neither. By the time I get around to process emotion, most of it will have withered away.

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?.
    I downplay them. The way my inner motives manifest has little to do with 'emotion'

3. Do you:

[INDENT]A.
    Actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?
    Dont need to avoid such situations if I can simply detach from them. Disregard the emotional aspect of the scenario, if necessary by focusing on Thinking as much as possible. This is preferred to avoiding such situations because I could still extract T material of value from them.

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention??
    To a great extent.

C. Enjoy dealing with emotions when they come along???

D.
    Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation
    Hell no...

Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

?]??
    If it does have merit than often D. If that is unclear, yet still appears it may, then likely C. In most cases A. The former is often Fi. The latter tends to be either Ni-Fe or Ne-Fi. Dominant Fes tend to end up in the last of these three slots.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?]?]??
    No, the only thing that matters is that it has substance, how it is expressed is irrelevant as that only alters the appearance and not essence.

A. Indifference/Apathy

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

?]?]??
    E--seperate myself, and let it wither away.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

DATA... I'll add mine to the pot

Experience of emotion is both... except recall for negative ones significantly stronger than recall of positive.

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?
    Sure. Doesn't every one experience this sometimes?

3. Do you:

a. No, unless the emotion makes me feel sick.
    b. I don't overlook it... I want to cut back on excessive emotions though
    c. That depends on which type of emotion doesn't it?
    d. Not when it's my own emotions. The more I poke at it, the more confused I get.

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

C & D

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
    Implicitly expressed emotions tend to trigger curiosity more often only because it's more likely to deviate from normal response.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

Confusion followed by pain... that may later to covered up by apathy. As to anger... if it's irrational, it doesn't go away readily.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
    No. The degree of response can change, but the general response doesn't.

MBTI
    infp

Answers in bold.

[QUOTE=athenian200;77473]
    1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both? Its unbounded. I can experience the greatets joy, and I can also feel completely worthless. These different emotions are set off pretty easily, and can change pretty easily too. Its not like mood swings, its just that I might focus my mind of some thoughts and I'll get hung up on them...

Yes, both positive and negative.

3. Do you:

C. Enjoy dealing with emotions when they come along? I get kind of a weird pleasure in analysing my emotions. the exception to this is frustration, it is just a pain. Its almost like a non-human emotion.

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion. But that question is kind of worded in a weird way, so I'm not sure if I totally get it.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? I don't think it does too much. Sometimes I'm curious. Like... when my parents say they are proud of me I ask "why?". I don't feel as if I've done anything yet to be proud of.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion. I wonder what I did. This usually leads to some anxiety for alittle bit.

C. Anxiety.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? I don't think it changes, no
    [QUOTE]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

A reasonable amount of both. In fact it may be a fair balance.

If you mean as cleansing acts, and misplaced bouts of rage? Then yes.

3. Do you:

It depends on the situation I'm in, If there are many people around, I'd rather not.

Once I'm aware, I'll Always try to deal with it.

Sometimes.

To get them out of the way, out of fear that they will return to haunt me at a later date.

D. Warmth/compassion.
    Though as a male I would never admit it, I do appreciate positive emotion toward myself.

No.

Anxiety.

Yes, as I can ignore someone hates my guts, but doesn't state it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

1. Both. Sometimes I get extremely negative and extremely positive emotions switching back and forth some days. Those days are far worse than days of just feeling down. But for the most part, both/neutral with a small amount of general positive emotion in the background (probably due to the relief of not feeling anything strong in particular).

2. Yes.

3a. Most of the time, no. Sometimes, yes. I tend to actively avoid anything dealing with excessive emotions with people I don't know very well or very public situations. Because 1) people think I'm weird and avoid me or 2) I embarrass myself because people start paying more attention to me.

3b. No. But yes to the last part, provided someone isn't gushing all over the place.

3c. Enjoy? I don't know. Depends on the situation. Sometimes it can be a mental-emotional exercise, sometimes it can be like trying to swim with cinder blocks for feet.

3d. Yes. How someone feels about something is just as important to me as what someone thinks about something.

4. Provided we are talking about someone I know well and feel comfortable with, D and C regardless of what is expressed. Provided we are talking about some random person expressing mildly positive emotions, D and C. But if we are talking about someone I don't know well gushing out compliments right and left or being way, way too "in-your-face friendly" (and I have met some people like this), all of the above all at once. People who say, "Hi!!!!! I'm [insert name]!!!!!!! How are you???!!!!???111oneoneone" and I don't know them, tend to frighten me.

5. No.

6. B, C, and D all at once.

7. No.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

1. I'd have to say that I am not a big fan of experiencing emotions- and even less so of expressing them- I associate emotions with negative experiences and therefore I think of unplesant emotions when I think of emotions

2. I don't express emotions if I can avoid it (with the unfortunate exceptions of suddenly losing my temper or even more infrequently starting to cry)

3. I would say that I actively avoid anything dealing with emotions- I don't express mine and I feel akward around other people who express thiers because I often say the wrong thing to them (though I offer to find them a cup of tea or help them seek revenge! )

4. I'd have to choose curiosity- not being an emotional person myself, I find emotions in others to be somewhat fascinating- positive ones please me and negative ones piss me off, but I'm always curious as to WHY they're expressing emotions!

5. I'm not good at picking up on emotions- I probably wouldn't get it if it was implicitly expressed!

6. Anger and confusion! why on earth are they expressing a negative emotion at me and how dare they?

7. read #5

for an example of how emotionally inept I am- I was out at dinner with some friends and thier fiances and I'd just been through a bad breakup and was rather tired from having been out late the night before. Someone asked me about my ex and out of nowhere I started to cry (yes- this confused me!) and everyone was somewhat shocked. Finally, my friends fiance said "wow! I guess you really are a real girl!"

yeah- sad, but true
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Socionics
    SLI

snegledmaca -- Strong T, tries to be tolerant of F.
    Are these interpretations of my answers? If they are then I must also add the information that I'm an F.