User Tag List

First 12345 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I believe that NFs, in general, will feel more inclined than others to live their lives in such a way that is in tune with their innermost goals/desires, which I guess can, or does, translate to some as their living, or attempting to successfully live more fulfilling, or should I say, more *meaningful lives*.

But, eh, I dunno, I believe that most, if not all human beings desire to live their lives to the fullest, and at some point realize that death is an irreversible inevitability thereby making life precious.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post

But, eh, I dunno, I believe that most, if not all human beings desire to live their lives to the fullest, and at some point realize that death is an irreversible inevitability thereby making life precious.
    Or useless.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    I believe that NFs, in general, will feel more inclined than others to live their lives in such a way that is in tune with their innermost goals/desires, which I guess can, or does, translate to some as their living, or attempting to successfully live more fulfilling, or should I say, more *meaningful lives*.

I think I would agree with this to a point. However, I think NF's are also more likely to have super-high expectations/be disappointed if they are not fulfilled completely.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There are as many ways to be fulfilled as there are people. Perhaps "feelers" will have stronger emotional responses to life (but I'm not even sure about that any more). A person can be overwhelmed by the beauty of a tree because of a feeling of connectedness and meaning, or by the way the light plays through the leaves gentle combing them as it does one's hair, or by viewing the fractal pattern that generated its form. How could a person possibly compare such experiences in terms of quality?

Perhaps a sense of wonder underlies a fulfilled life, but possibly not. I think it is a mistake to project onto someone else what it means to have a fulfilled life. I try to keep a broad perspective of what that would mean, but my view is still limited and informed by my experience and ideals.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INFP

Antisocial one:

In your OP and in the thread you have often used "feeling" when speaking of emotion. My sense, from Jungian theory as well as cognitive function, is that they cannot be interchanged. The word "feelings" is often used to describe emotion is common English, but as it concerns typology, it should not be, given that "feeling" is a cognitive function.

cheers,
    Ian

MBTI
    xxxx

Less likely.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    Less likely.
    *sigh* I'll bite. What makes you say that?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Answering the topic's question : no.

We often oversimplify the T/F divide for the sake of discussion, but there comes a point when we start discussions already asking the wrong questions (yes, there are no wrong questions per se...but if understanding is the aim, then there are questions that are more pertinent than others).

I think the question is : are emotions required to have a fulfilled life? As humans? Most assuredly. Emotions are the human motivators. Instinct will make you hunt for food and seek shelter from a snow storm, but it won't make you do sacrifices in order to reach your dream goal, or to come up with brilliant ideas, or drive you to do anything that is not absolutely mundane.

That being said, Feelers don't experience any more emotions than Ts do, nor do Ts experience any more thoughts/considerations than Fs. We both experience the same things, we just deal with them differently. And gauge and prioritize them differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    Apples and oranges. I imagine, very generally speaking, thinkers would feel more fulfilled experiencing more knowledge while feelers would feel more fulfilled experiencing more feelings. I know my special appreciation of knowledge (I enjoy encyclopedias and textbooks) gives me more fulfilment from knowledge than many feelers I know get. Conversely, emotions are meh to me.
    If anything I think Ns get more of a kick out of knowledge for its own sake. (as opposed to Ss and their more direct appliance of said knowledge) It is not a T/F thing at all imo.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    *sigh* I'll bite. What makes you say that?
    I was more or less subtly poking at the idea that being a thinker means one is going to be less happy. That idea annoys me to some extent. As a response, rather than taking a position I fully hold, I chose to exaggerate it to the point where it becomes the polar opposite of the proposition in the OP. I myself find myself happier than most people I encounter. This is enough evidence to prop up my devil's advocate position.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Oh, I see. I thought you had a whole new groundbreaking theory in your pocket.