• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the logic behind the temperments?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seeing the responses just made it more complicated to me, lol.

This usually implies that one is missing a vital body of information in the first place.

Jaguar

I've never heard NT's called melancolic...

You'll find it in NT blends.

Quite sometime ago, a bunch of us took a temperament test and a poll displayed the results.

My result was a Choleric-Melancholy blend.
As a matter of fact, all the results were blends.
But before I looked at the poll results, I chose two people in this forum who I thought would be in my group.
I chose:

bananatrombones
juggernaut

Both were true.

Here's the old poll that shows forum member results:

Typology Central - View Poll Results

Test:
OneIshy :: Personality/Temperament Test

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why isn't it SP/SJ vs NP/NJ

Or SF/ST vs NF/NT?

It's quite simple.
Myers came up with the initial 4 groups: NF,NT,SF,ST based on her own observations (building on original work by Jung).
Keirsey decided "what she called the STs seemed to me to have very little in common, just as the SFs had little in common. However, four earlier contributors, Adickes, Spranger, Kretschmer and Fromm ... helped me to see that Myers's four SJs were very much alike as were her four SPs."*

He doesn't really provide a logical explanation for these categories (I quite like Jock's) but he does say the key difference is that "Jung/Myers were trying to figure out what the different types have in mind, while I am trying to figure out what they can do well under varying circumstances."* He calls these "function types" vs "intelligence types".

*from Please Understand Me II

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
You'll find it in NT blends.

Quite sometime ago, a bunch of us took a temperament test and a poll displayed the results.

My result was a Choleric-Melancholy blend.
As a matter of fact, all the results were blends.
But before I looked at the poll results, I chose two people in this forum who I thought would be in my group.
I chose:

bananatrombones
juggernaut

Both were true.

Here's the old poll that shows forum member results:

Typology Central - View Poll Results

Test:
OneIshy :: Personality/Temperament Test

Ah, I actually meant that I hadn't seen someone try to overlay Melacolic on NT as in a direct comparision.

I know temprements blend but there is almost always a dominant one.

Now I'm guessing you did a profile test, the last time I was temprement profiled it was a traditional astrologer who says I'm melancoilc phelgmatic... more the latter depending on one of the systems, but in the main dominanted by melencolic. but that's besides the point, which is trying to overlay older types onto newer systems

Old temprements split into 3 categories (quadruplicites) which break down the activity type - Cardinal = highly initiating/motivated/go getting; Fixed - contact/stubborn/strong minded/ Mutable - flexible/inconsistant (which was considerd a bad thing), changable. So each stage of Melencolic has degrees, and were also related to specific planets which added in a level of flavour as well.

All these things interelate...

PS and thanks for the link - will go look

Says I'm
Sanguine:43
Coleric: 38
Melancolic: 10
Phelgmatic: 10

Not sure at all about the testing method.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, Sanguine-Choleric is a logical fit for ENTP. (Sanguine=ENP; Choleric=NT. Definitely saw Jenocyde's Choleric side in out meetup last night, but that's another story).
I never saw that whole trifix system used on the temperaments. That was for the elements -earth, air, fire, water, but then of course, those were associated with the temperaments too.

In that other thread, an NT may come up as Melancholic mixed with something else, but that doesn't mean that the Melancholic is NT. With some INTP's, they may come up Phlegmatic-Melancholic, but I believe that is the Phlegmatic (Interaction Style) tempering the Choleric into an appearance of a less aggressive Melancholic. The temperaments in the blend have tempering effects on each other, which is one reason I believe converting both the Keirsey temperaments and Interaction Styles into their Galen counterparts is good. You can see in each type what is being mixed.

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
I didn't read the entirety of this thread- hope I'm not repeating anyone.

I see it like this: Sensing has to do with tangibly taking in information, so for sensors, the J/P dichotomy is especially pronounced, as it represents two stances toward the new information it encounters.

Intuition has to do with recognizing intangible patterns, therefore the emphasis isn't on whether to make or withhold decisions about the information but how to interpret it. The dichotomy inarguably dealing most directly with interpretation is T/F.

The entire function of the temperaments is to group the 16 types into more palatable chunks. You know the S/N dichotomy is consistently the most important, as S and N are information styles, but for Ss, J/P becomes the second important trait, as it qualifies the S, and likewise for the T/F for Ns.

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
Btw, I didn't mean to imply that the analysis of temperament was arbitrary, only that temperament is used as a simpler means of classification than the 16-type system.