• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the logic behind the temperments?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Could someone dumb these down for me?

Why are Sensors either SPs or SJs

and

Intuitives NFs or NTs?

Why isn't it SP/SJ vs NP/NJ

Or SF/ST vs NF/NT?

Thanks.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok I will do my best,

Temprements is an ancient way of dividing people up - like 000's of years before MBTI, developed around Plato or Aritotle's time.... used in medicine. Temprements = Sangiun, Coleric, phlegmatic, melancolic (?sp of all of these)...

But I suspect you don't mean temprements I think you mean the S V N divide.

S are sensors, the process information from senses - ie they receive information in a sensory absorbtion way, Intuatives (N), receive information Intuatively....they seem to absorbe information.

S types are specific detailed orientated
N types are broad in their orientation

S types use concrete language, they use solid words, data, tangibles to explore their world.

N types like abstract language, like ideas or discriptions.

I suspect if you ask an S type for an Itinery, they will say take this train at such and such a time, for x numbers of stops and get off here... to get to Y desination for 3pm. The S type will give you layers of information, sometimes way too much

N types would likely to say meet me at Y in the afternoon. N types may give too little information, or too abstract.

Hope this helps

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ok I will do my best,

Temprements is an ancient way of dividing people up - like 000's of years before MBTI, developed around Plato or Aritotle's time.... used in medicine. Temprements = Sangiun, Coleric, phlegmatic, melancolic (?sp of all of these)...

But I suspect you don't mean temprements I think you mean the S V N divide.

S are sensors, the process information from senses - ie they receive information in a sensory absorbtion way, Intuatives (N), receive information Intuatively....they seem to absorbe information.

S types are specific detailed orientated
N types are broad in their orientation

S types use concrete language, they use solid words, data, tangibles to explore their world.

N types like abstract language, like ideas or discriptions.

I suspect if you ask an S type for an Itinery, they will say take this train at such and such a time, for x numbers of stops and get off here... to get to Y desination for 3pm. The S type will give you layers of information, sometimes way too much

N types would likely to say meet me at Y in the afternoon. N types may give too little information, or too abstract.

Hope this helps

What's bolded is what I mean. I understand the S vs N differences. I've seen what you wrote in bold before, and would like to know more about it. If someone has a good link they could provide, that would help me also.

Thanks!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
SJs are concrete cooperators.

SPs are concrete utilitarians.

NFs are abstract cooperators.

NTs are abstract utilitarians.

ygolo

My termites win
Could someone dumb these down for me?

I am not good at dumbing things down, so I'll just give some information.

Temperaments have a long history before Myers-Briggs. They are mainly based on observations of people in broad terms.

It just so happens that there is a system of four temperaments that is compatible with the Myers-Briggs Types. This is a mix of Kiersey's work on temperaments and later work by others interested in Myers-Briggs.

Why are Sensors either SPs or SJs

and

Intuitives NFs or NTs?

Why isn't it SP/SJ vs NP/NJ

Or SF/ST vs NF/NT?

Thanks.

Researchers (Dario Nardi's group I believe), have done a correlatory study of the four temperaments with types, and they match pretty much to SPs being Artisans, SJs being Guardians, NTs being Rationals, and NFs being Idealists....there are new names for the temperaments (and more refined meanings for them) but I am still stuck on the old ones.

SF/ST/NF/NT are called "mind types." This is another way of categorizing people.

SP/SJ/NP/NJ determines how a person perceives information. Yet another way to categorize people.

EJ/IJ/EP/IP works well for observing young children.

(ENJ,EST),(INJ,IST),(ENP,ESF),(INP,ISF) define "Interaction Styles." Yet another interesting way to categorize people.

IN,IS,EN,ES has implications for education and learning styles.

Which set of categories you use depends on what you want to study.

Temperaments are about needs, values, talents, and relationship preferences.

Interaction styles are about drives, beliefs, communication, and how people influence others.

ygolo

My termites win
What's bolded is what I mean. I understand the S vs N differences. I've seen what you wrote in bold before, and would like to know more about it. If someone has a good link they could provide, that would help me also.

Thanks!

EricB is your forum member for that.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

Thanks!

OK I didn't know if that was what you really ment,

I was chatting to Trintity about tempraments a few weeks back...

SJ = Melancolic = Gaurdian = Earth
SP = Sagnine = Artisan = Air
NF = Choleric = Idealist = Fire elemnet
NT = Phlegmatic = Rational =Water element

If you are realy interested I will source the time they started being attributed as best I can. think around 340 BC

Originally temprements came from from astrology classification, this was in the days when it wasn't a dirty word. It was a means of identifying the constitution of a person in order to treat them medically.
I couldn't find clean links for Trinity.

You need to be really careful, because they get badly applied in modern times. The discussion with Trinity was about NT's and NF's I beleive, she felt that Keirsey had labled them wrongly, I don't think he did.

NF's idealists are not the emotional clouds they are made out to be in MBTI inerpretation, they are the emotives behind campagning, equality, feminisim etc... just give these guys a cause and they will go into bat for you. So rather than being purely emotional. If you need to think of NFs in emotional terms think shallower seas.....

NT's however are phelgamtic, brooding, deep intuatives... ie they do things at a very deep rooted level, when they experience/express and emotion it is totalyl overwhelming, think about it in terms of rising up through an increadibly deep sea... so pretty much darker and more over powering. I've often tested the NT's around the issue, their idealisim about love and gently sought out if their emotions are just not on the surface and it seems to stack up to an extent.

SJ = Melancolics = eather types, intro material stuff, process, rituals etc... which fits SJs pretty well. They want to be known for material stability.

SP = Sangine = Air = sociable, easy light spirits, entertaining, comedic, quick minded... but in the light way not in a depth of the ocean type way...

I'll see what I can dig up.

I know from meeting severly translators of ancient text (part of the astrology communty - do translating so they can get their mits on real information from the ancients), that often information cna be lost through modern interpretation.

In the ancient worls fixed people were considered to be "consistant", and mutable - as fickle, today we see them as stubborn and flexible respectively, so we have nearly reversed our valuing of the two types.

I'm more likely to dig you up medical/astrology references rather than psycologically aplied versions (the bits I saw were very much the modern fluff about the subject). Not really sure that is what you are interested in - if its the psycologist view, then there would likely to be other people better suited. Personally I feel modern corruption looses momentum of what this stuff originally ment.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok a breif squint on this... lots of reading for you

the rogue physician wrote one of the first medical books in English (mainyl on herbs)... a fair bit of that is about treating temprement type illnesses... (leaches and waht nott.... NICE!)

Nicholas Culpeper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
inauthor:Nicholas inauthor:Culpeper - Google Books
Nicholas Culpeper: Herbalist of the People, by Dylan Warren Davis

Have a scout around here fore articles about temprement (often quoted from culpeper)... decumberature is the astrology of illness
Skyscript: Astrological Articles

Dorian may cover too much astrology in this one (I can translate if you want me to)
Excerpts from Temperament: Astrology's Forgotten Key, by Dorian Gieseler Greenbaum,

http://www.classicalastrology.org/forgottenkey.html

This one is quite interesting (it confirms to me that Keirsey didn't screw up)
http://www.classicalastrology.org/temperament.html

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/images/astrology.pdf

This one cites the origin as babylon - they did wicked stuff there you know ;) :D

Temperament Analysis-Personality Typing - Christian or Psycho-Occult

The Four Temperaments --- Astrology / Paganism

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I think it's NT and NF instead of NP and NJ simply because of how much more the judging function shapes the behavior and cognition of N types, whereas the direction of the sensing function is far more important in shaping the behavior of the S type. Ss have a far more pure, powerful method of experience and interpretation is concrete and literal while the Ns need to interpret their abstract thoughts and perceptions in some manner typically defined by the judging function. Basically, Ns need judging help to make sense of their environments, while Ss do not. This is something I've been mulling over, if anyone can point out any errors that'd be nice.

I believe that's why the temperaments align the way they do.

VagrantFarce

The temperaments are ultimately very arbitrary, you could easily group the types in all sorts of other ways.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
EricB is your forum member for that.
Thanks!:D

Anyway, the basic connection was covered above. To be more precise, Keirsey traced the temperaments through Ernst Kretschmer's Character Styles, which were divided into Cyclothymes: Hypomanic, Depressive, and Schizothymes: Anesthetic, Hyperesthetic. Cyclothymes would be Sensors and Schizothymes would be iNtuitive, and the four styles fit the asymmetrical S+J/P--N+T/F groups.
The Interaction Styles also fit the ancient temperaments, through another asymmetrical grouping: E/I +S+T/F; N+J/P.

The reason why, is that temperaments were not originally defined by perceptive (S/N) scales (Kant basically laid the foundation for that), but rather a pair of factors known as expressiveness and people/task focus. E/I fits the first one (for the Interaction Styles), and people/task is tied to T/F and J/P, but are sort of twisted by the new S/N factor.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think they are grouped by observed similarities in those types, particularly the general attitudes they exhibit and their main motivations.

This doesn't mean that someone of one type never exhibits traits associated with a different temperament - it's categorizing people based on overall patterns of behavior and expressed motivations.

For instance, I see more consistency among NFs than NPs, which makes the NF grouping make more sense to me.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is a thread I'm developing, and this thread makes me itch to finish it really fast.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Uhh guys, he didn't ask for fifteen pages of information about each temperament.

He just asked what led to Keirsey to decide that P/J is more important for S types and that T/F is more important for N types.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The answer is already there. Keirsey made a different system that removed the most fundamental part of the MBTI (the cognitive processes) but was at least nominally builty off of the MB archetypes. He basically threw out the parts but kept the chassis.

The reason Keirsey grouped them as he did is because he felt his particular groupings did the best job of dividing people along four types of behavior most similar to the divisions of the temperaments of old. If you're familiar with the humors, Sanguine, Phlegmatic, Melancholic, and Choleric, then you know what those temperaments are. If you aren't familiar with them, look them up! Basically, there was a long tradition of temperament systems going back to that one, and Keirsey aimed to fit in with it.

As for how Keirsey decided which groupings most behaviorally fit the old temperaments, his method was one of dubious (as far as I'm concerned) empericism and experiential knowledge, which struck me as far too anecdotal. Never the less, personal observation of type behavior was how he picked them out.

So there you go, the OP is answered.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Uhh guys, he didn't ask for fifteen pages of information about each temperament.

He just asked what led to Keirsey to decide that P/J is more important for S types and that T/F is more important for N types.

Actually the OPer didn't, he has been unspecfic about what he means by temprement, definately didn't say Keirsey...

When asked they clarifided it wasn't the MBTI letters tehy were interested in.

So the big question is is it Kersey's takes on the Temraments = Idealist, Rationalist, Garudian, or Artisan

Or Anticent temprements (which map onto the lot anyways)... towhich you can argue origin, but certainly from around 450 BC (bablyonians, Greeks etc...lots of different citations).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually the OPer didn't, he has been unspecfic about what he means by temprement, definately didn't say Keirsey...

When asked they clarifided it wasn't the MBTI letters tehy were interested in.

So the big question is is it Kersey's takes on the Temraments = Idealist, Rationalist, Garudian, or Artisan

Or Anticent temprements (which map onto the lot anyways)... towhich you can argue origin, but certainly from around 450 BC (bablyonians, Greeks etc...lots of different citations).

Association with Keirsey was implied because he asked what the reasoning behind the NT/NF/SP/SJ temperament arrangement (which was designed by Keirsey) is. durrrrr

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
As for how Keirsey decided which groupings most behaviorally fit the old temperaments, his method was one of dubious (as far as I'm concerned) empericism and experiential knowledge, which struck me as far too anecdotal. Never the less, personal observation of type behavior was how he picked them out.

So there you go, the OP is answered.

It might not be QUITE as dubious as it appears (can't say how he did it cos I never met him), but the fit between his lableing/grouping and ancient system isn't as bad as it appears. Some of the issues are around how we interpret language today v's ancients. There are reasons that it is as Keirsey has it...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Association with Keirsey was implied because he asked what the reasoning behind the NT/NF/SP/SJ temperament arrangement (which was designed by Keirsey) is. durrrrr

Sorry read their second post, it is more specific (wasn't haivng a go at you)... and I agree the first post was very much NT.SJ etc,

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It might not be QUITE as dubious as it appears (can't say how he did it cos I never met him), but the fit between his lableing/grouping and ancient system isn't as bad as it appears. Some of the issues are around how we interpret language today v's ancients. There are reasons that it is as Keirsey has it...

I think I could make a viable fit for the old temeperaments based on other groupsings too. I could probaby fit any quartering into some relative humor claffications fairly easily (and be more consistent about it, too :dry:), maybe the outer letters, for example. I have a hard time seeing ENTJs as phlegmatic or ESTJs as melancholic. But those type orientations make sense in Keirsey's sytem because he hammered the whole system around the need for it to make sense. It's correct by redefinition. It's one of those (many) things I don't like about Keirsey. I prefer dissecting things down into the functional parts, and seeing what patterns, frameworks, and categories logically manifest themselves from there. Keirsey seemed to do things in the reverse process, making the patterns, frameworks, and categories, and then jamming the parts in until they fit.

Even if his choice of groups did reflect the temperaments the best, is that worth anything?

Keirsey, in his own system, considers himself and INTP. Well his system of course is quite different from mine more orthodox cognitive approach. After really going over his work several times, I'm thinking he's an ISTJ.