• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTJs considered 'nice guys' while INTJs are considered cold-hearted evil beings.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
From a female perspective, I think ISTJs are better with kids:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKNrYb0s3xc"].[/YOUTUBE]

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well it's pretty obvious you're on the hunt for red october so...

I've always found it fascinating to watch NFPs scramble for INTJs. Reminds me of a wedding bouquet fisticuffs.

Maybe I am...:coffee:

:huh:

:wubbie:

:blush:

;)

However, it's also just that my sense of humor has always been dark like that, even since late childhood, and I encounter so few people IRL that even appreciate it, let alone are capable of orchestrating that type of humor.

I also love a good mystery!

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I was listening to that Taylor Swift song, You Belong With Me.

These lines annoy me for some reason (actually the lyrics of the whole song annoy me):
You're on the phone with your girlfriend, She's upset
She's going off about something that you said
She doesn't get your humor like I do

I mean I know why they annoy me and it's along the same lines that this thread annoys me.

This isn't directed at you necessarily marm, your comments have just triggered something in my mind.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not a nice guy you scatterbrained SOBs!

My Daddy wasn't either. I can't imagine anyone looking back on his life and simply saying he was such a nice guy. Quite a few people, including his own family, laugh and mention (with love) what an asshole he could be. I have a hard time accepting the stereotype that ISTJs are "nice guys." However, he was very responsible, loyal to his family, and capable of deep love for particular individuals. That's nice.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
My Daddy wasn't either. I can't imagine anyone looking back on his life and simply saying he was such a nice guy. Quite a few people, including his own family, laugh and mention (with love) what an asshole he could be. I have a hard time accepting the stereotype that ISTJs are "nice guys." However, he was very responsible, loyal to his family, and capable of deep love for particular individuals. That's nice.[/QUOTE]

The killer right there!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was listening to that Taylor Swift song, You Belong With Me.

These lines annoy me for some reason (actually the lyrics of the whole song annoy me):

I mean I know why they annoy me and it's along the same lines that this thread annoys me.

This isn't directed at you necessarily marm, your comments have just triggered something in my mind.

Some people just don't get each other. I don't understand why that's annoying to you.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not sure where the bad ISTJ rap comes from. As long as the SJ in question isn't forcing me to do things according to their "system," we're cool. And I've known some hilarious ISTJs, too.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My Daddy wasn't either. I can't imagine anyone looking back on his life and simply saying he was such a nice guy. Quite a few people, including his own family, laugh and mention (with love) what an asshole he could be. I have a hard time accepting the stereotype that ISTJs are "nice guys." However, he was very responsible, loyal to his family, and capable of deep love for particular individuals. That's nice.

Wait a minute... my father has a second family???

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Some people just don't get each other. I don't understand why that's annoying to you.

Oh that's not annoying, but to call people boring is a different matter. It's funny, there's a thread about that going on right now, an INTJ called her ISFJ friend boring and everyone rallied to the ISFJ's defense.

Now the tables are turned, ISTJs are the boring ones, INTJs are the interesting ones. If I don't get someone, I don't baseline assume they're boring. Most people you ask believe their sense of humor is odd and off-color. If you're saying what makes INTJs funny and interesting is that they find things funny that most people don't find funny, then my next question is what are these "things" they find funny that makes them so much more interesting?

I brought up the song because I it has an undertone in it I don't particularly like. I find that many people on this forum enjoy INxJs because they find them difficult to reach, but when you reach them it's a supposedly more satisfying experience. The flipside to that is why do people want people they find emotionally inaccessible? The song was the first thing that sprung into my mind that gets at that idea... "If you could see that I'm the one who understands you."

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think people hugely underestimate ISTJs around here.
Their efficiency is sometimes undoubtful, and they were just as succesful in high school as INTJs. Their work is necessary in almost every field, that's it. They're the strong fundaments of society, or whatever you'd like to call them.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Oh that's not annoying, but to call people boring is a different matter. It's funny, there's a thread about that going on right now, an INTJ called her ISFJ friend boring and everyone rallied to the ISFJ's defense.

Now the tables are turned, ISTJs are the boring ones, INTJs are the interesting ones. If I don't get someone, I don't baseline assume they're boring. Most people you ask believe their sense of humor is odd and off-color. If you're saying what makes INTJs funny and interesting is that they find things funny that most people don't find funny, then my next question is what are these "things" they find funny that makes them so much more interesting?

I brought up the song because I it has an undertone in it I don't particularly like. I find that many people on this forum enjoy INxJs because they find them difficult to reach, but when you reach them it's a supposedly more satisfying experience. The flipside to that is why do people want people they find emotionally inaccessible? The song was the first thing that sprung into my mind that gets at that idea... "If you could see that I'm the one who understands you."

I feel dizzy in the head now

Bri

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have one INTJ brother and one ISTJ brother. I'd say that the main difference is in their need to please people. The ISTJ is totally the find-a-role-and-stick-with-it/peace-keeper type, which may be why he'd earn the 'nice guy' moniker out of the two. The INTJ is much more independent and daring, and more likely to share his typical detached INTJ-style insights with the world even if they don't care to hear it.

When it all boils down, they're both really great men in their own ways, and their girlfriends are incredibly lucky to have them!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
well, if there weren't plenty of INTJs wandering about on this forum posting sinister avatars and claiming that most supervillans fall within their MBTI type some of us would consider you guys less evily bent... blame the bad apples for your image ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I think everything you said is just a matter of personal taste which varies from individual to individual and I can only express my own opinion. But I'm going to specifically address the last paragraph because I think this might have something to do with Fi vs. Fe. Fi really has thing for being "special" and "unique" and having a very specific love tailored toward certain individuals, xNFPs and enneagram 4s I think romanticize it even further, or at least more openly.

I also think sometimes people who have felt misunderstood in their lives really want to connect with other people who sort of "get them" and the usual explanation for this is that the world is dominated by S types, so Ns are more likely to seek this idea of "the one who understands you" because it's more rare.

As for wanting people who are emotionally inaccessable, that may have something to do with parental influence during formative years, family dynamics, and people's personal psychological love maps/sexual maps.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think everything you said is just a matter of personal taste which varies from individual to individual and I can only express my own opinion. But I'm going to specifically address the last paragraph because I think this might have something to do with Fi vs. Fe. Fi really has thing for being "special" and "unique" and having a very specific love tailored toward certain individuals, xNFPs and enneagram 4s I think romanticize it even further, or at least more openly.

I also think sometimes people who have felt misunderstood in their lives really want to connect with other people who sort of "get them" and the usual explanation for this is that the world is dominated by S types, so Ns are more likely to seek this idea of "the one who understands you" because it's more rare.

As for wanting people who are emotionally inaccessable, that may have something to do with parental influence during formative years, family dynamics, and people's personal psychological love maps/sexual maps.

Ahh, the elusive pink diamond relationship. I see.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I can't speak on INTJs, but I can certainly understand why ISTJs would be considered nice. We work hard and care about proving ourselves as dependable pillars of our communities. Now, I'm not nice for the sake of being nice; leave that to the ENFPs. I'm nice because I want people to perceive me a certain way and because it is advantageous to be so. Admittedly though, ISTJs like myself have no tolerance for stupidity, but when it comes to the people who matter things go extra smoothly. Service is our pride.

I don't think N's work that way though. Like I said, I'm not familiar with INTJs well enough to make any statements that I want to be held accountable for, but from what little experience I have combined with what I know about the MBTI, my guess is that INTJs don't care about how other people perceive them. That doesn't necessarily make INTJs mean, but my guess is that INTJs simply view people like test subjects and treat them accordingly (in contrast to ISTJs who wish to impress).